Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Roy Moore gets accused Sexual Enounter

I was old enough during the 60s 70s to have watched and heard and read about what happened during that time.

If anything made the South somewhat less racist, it was the boomer generation as it was back then, and their generally unified opposition to the establishment and Vietnam, not politicians. Dixiecrats in form and description ceased to exist over the second half of the 60s.

This is similar to what SpartanMack says in his last paragraph in post 98.

This is similar to what SpartanMack says in his last paragraph in post 98.

well, he also attributed it to "capitalism."

whatever.

the Soviet Space program's achievements spurred our own crappy government to do better, so that's like saying "a man walked on the moon because of communism."

whatever.

the Soviet Space program's achievements spurred our own crappy government to do better, so that's like saying "a man walked on the moon because of communism."

"Also, the civil rights act isn't what turned the country around. Boycotts, sit-ins and strikes had way more to do with it (and) Activism than any politicians or laws."

Equating to

"their generally unified opposition to the establishment and Vietnam, not politicians."

Is kind of more what I was getting at...

What you described is really more like imperialism than communism, which both the US and the Soviet Union competed against each other in back in them days...

whatever.

no, it's nothing like saying that at all but I'm not surprised you need this explained to you. In a free capitalist society, peoples' dollar votes are often more effective than ballots. If people boycott businesses that practice segregation, those businesses lose money and risk failing. They either change, or smart people open businesses that don't discriminate. That's capitalism in action. I know you're desperate to make the case for government intervention as the answer but it's clear that the Civil Rights Act had much less to do with America becoming less racist than activism and economics (free market economics).

Last edited:
Back