Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Former Tigers destroy the Dodgers

he NEVER said he was going to opt out before that deadline. What part don't you understand? There was no market for him until he let it be known he was going to opt out.

How do you know? He stayed quiet but once traded he let it be known? Yeah, I don't think so.

"Apparently no other contender wanted him, or offered even less in return." And how do you know this?

So how do you know that there were any other ballclubs who wanted Upton, and were prepared to top any other offer to get him? There obviously weren't any @ the trade deadline.

You actually don't understand how it works. LOL.

It is my understanding that they put him on revokable waivers. Every team has a chance to take him but they take on his full contract. If nobody claims him the Tigers are free to make a trade with anybody prior to Sept 1.

what am I missing?

How do you know? He stayed quiet but once traded he let it be known? Yeah, I don't think so.

I think it was Jim Bowden on MLB raido...he spoke to JUP's agent. He actually said that they told the Tigers before the trade...not the trade partner. That is what was reported...just relaying what I heard

So how do you know that there were any other ballclubs who wanted Upton, and were prepared to top any other offer to get him? There obviously weren't any @ the trade deadline.

I don't but I never made that statement.. And even weather that was the only and top offer doesn't mean it was a good one. Just because something is better than nothing. Lets say he opts out, maybe we get a draft pick for him. Better than junk..

I think it was Jim Bowden on MLB raido...he spoke to JUP's agent. He actually said that they told the Tigers before the trade...not the trade partner. That is what was reported...just relaying what I heard

Then I'm confused from your other post.. "he NEVER said he was going to opt out before that deadline"

Then I'm confused from your other post.. "he NEVER said he was going to opt out before that deadline"

right...he didn't say he was going to opt out prior to the July 31 deadline...he did tell the Tigers he was going to opt out prior to the August 31 deadline.

But I still bet the Angels were aware. They don't want that contract..

I think in the off season we go get JUP, JD, Avila and make a trade for JV.

It is my understanding that they put him on revokable waivers. Every team has a chance to take him but they take on his full contract. If nobody claims him the Tigers are free to make a trade with anybody prior to Sept 1.

what am I missing?

Revocable. Means the Tigers can pull him back and teams know that. If Al Kaline was on revocable waivers, doesn't mean the Tigers don't want him and/or no other team wants him if he goes through.

Teams don't make a claim in hopes they can work out the trade if they really want the player. A lot of times teams only make the claim to get the team to revoke the player so no other team works out a deal.

This isn't as cut and dry as other waivers. There are certain strategies at play here and I think you are minimizing what happened.

right...he didn't say he was going to opt out prior to the July 31 deadline...he did tell the Tigers he was going to opt out prior to the August 31 deadline.

Anyone with half a brain should know he was going to opt out. That is why the Tigers front office didn't know.

Revocable. Means the Tigers can pull him back and teams know that. If Al Kaline was on revocable waivers, doesn't mean the Tigers don't want him and/or no other team wants him if he goes through.

Teams don't make a claim in hopes they can work out the trade if they really want the player. A lot of times teams only make the claim to get the team to revoke the player so no other team works out a deal.

This isn't as cut and dry as other waivers. There are certain strategies at play here and I think you are minimizing what happened.

teams also make a claim on a player they want, then work out a trade.

Anyone with half a brain should know he was going to opt out. That is why the Tigers front office didn't know.

assuming a player is going to opt out and being told he is going to opt out is a HUGE difference when the player is owed $88M over the next 4 years

Haven't found anything online, about a ballclub getting a draft pick, if it loses a player who opts out, just players turning down QOs.

Haven't found anything online, about a ballclub getting a draft pick, if it loses a player who opts out, just players turning down QOs.

You might be right, probably true now that I think about, but they should. He chooses to be a FA. Oh well either way.

I think in the off season we go get JUP, JD, Avila and make a trade for JV.

lol

For your fantasy team, maybe.

Why Avila? Why J Up who would cost even more, for longer, than if he didn't opt out? JD I would love to get back, but the Tigers could have tried to offer him an extension/contract while he was still here. Unless the Tigers FO demonstrated that they wanted to become a serious contender, and offered the best deal, then he won't be coming back here.

Last edited:
No. They can only make the trade if they clear. Again, you have no clue.

Not trade but work out compensation...poor choice of words on my part. So it's just like a trade...the team that places the player on revokable waivers works out a "deal" with the claiming team or they just pull the player back.

Essentially there are 3 scenarios when a team claims a player on revokable waivers

1) the team that owns the player's rights pulls the player back

2) the two teams agree on some sort of compensation in order for the claim to go through

3) the team that claims gets the player and assumes the contract

Back