Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trump administration drops Obama-era easing of marijuana prosecutions

Oh.

I thought you meant within the context of the Democrat to Republican parabolic center.

Then, yes...

For liberals, it's gotten shittier.

For conservatives, it's gotten better.

For everyone else, not much has changed.

Not really.

for conservatives that are multi-millionaires or billionaires, it's gotten better. For the rest of them, it's gotten worse, but they're too stubborn (and/or stupid) to see that.

for scammers that run for-profit schools and colleges, or prisons, it's gotten better. I think we can assume the same for frauds in general, white-collar criminals and the like. although to be fair Eric Holder's DOJ under Obama really took that to another level, and Trump's DOJ has just continued the policy to a higher degree, President Trump being a career fraud and glorified conman himself.

sigh...
Isn't this what the federal government is supposed to do - enforce federal law? I don't really care whether pot is legalized or not, at least in theory. I'm sure in practice it will be a shitshow like just about everything else the government does. I wish we had a good lawyer who posted here to explain this (perhaps someday) but doesn't the supremacy clause say that federal law trumps state law? And doesn't the executive branch have an obligation to enforce the law and not pick and choose which laws to enforce? So even if this is a state's rights issue, isn't the proper course to change federal law rather than the executive branch choosing whether or not to enforce it?

yes, federal law trumps state law, except in cases where powers are not granted to the federal government (not applicable for drug laws, since that's an inter-state issue), and in cases where the federal law is unconstitutional; federal law can't require states to pay their own funds to enforce a federal law. but most states have their own drug laws, and the DEA is funded by the feds to enforce federal drug laws; it usually becomes a jurisdictional issue, with both state & local cops & the DEA clashing over who gets the big headline over a drug bust, and more importantly, who gets to keep the proceeds of the asset forfeiture...

if the board wants a formally researched legal memo on the topic, the board can pay an attorney to do that. fuck you.

Also, lets not pretend like the Obama administration decided this was a state's law issue and just didn't enforce federal law. They just did it in a far more cowardly and underhanded way by sicking the IRS on marijuana producers/distributors. Maybe they didn't arrest and prosecute drug manufacturers and dealers as criminals, but they hit 'em where it hurts with massive tax bills, penalties and interest.

who is pretending Obama did that?

his administration did get better on this over time though, and Sessions' DOJ is a step back from that. a big step back. more like turning back the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a tad ironic that the man with all the private prisons would want to re-criminalize what was determined by prior administrations and public opinion to be a non-issue.

The Alcohol lobby ...Big Pharma ...prisons and LE Unions are the only ones who'd want to go back in time and make weed illegal.

And when sniveling, dickless little Cory Gardner (R-CO) comes out immediately in defense of state rights to decide you know two things ... 1) He's scared SHITLESS about the next election cycle because of his associations with Trump and ... 2) Sessions little announcement isn't going to change a single fucking thing. No Federal Prosecutors are going to begin targeting state/local dispensaries or growers.

Unlike the Mueller investigation, the money laundering, the treason and collusion this is in fact a Nothing Burger.

No Federal Prosecutors are going to begin targeting state/local dispensaries or growers.

Prosecutors don't go out and arrest people.

Again...what is the DEA going to do without support and cooperation from local law enforcement?

If DEA agents go out to dispensaries and arrest people...where are they going to take them for processing?

If I'm an officer with LAPD or the LA County Sherriff's Department, the LAST thing I wanna do is begin fucking with shit that I've been on vacation from for years - one clarification - local law enforcement has and continues to be active in the criminal prosecution of marijuana traffickers who have been functioning outside the auspicious of the locally proscribed laws.

Last edited:
Prosecutors don't go out and arrest people.

Again...what is the DEA going to do without support and cooperation from local law enforcement?

If DEA agents to out to dispensaries and arrest people...where are they going to take them for processing?

If I'm an officer with LAPD or the LA County Sherriff's Department, the LAST thing I wanna do is begin fucking with shit that I've been on vacation from for years - one clarification - local law enforcement has and continues to be active in the criminal prosecution of marijuana traffickers who have been functioning outside the auspicious of the locally proscribed laws.

All this is, is yet another red herring ...raw, red meat being offered up to a segment of his "base" to keep them distracted from the larger, looming investigation and charges coming.

It's simply talking to the "Just Say No" demographic of old people, to reinforce their predisposition towards marijuana ...as they sip on their alcohol, pop their prescribed pills and watch Fox News.

The opiod crisis facing America and specifically states like ohio is such a bigger health concern ..but when your base is largely a stupid people, you say stupid things to get them fired up.

but most states have their own drug laws, and the DEA is funded by the feds to enforce federal drug laws; it usually becomes a jurisdictional issue, with both state & local cops & the DEA clashing over who gets the big headline over a drug bust...

This kind of shit has been well documented for years in cop TV shows and movies...

All this is, is yet another red herring ...raw, red meat being offered up to a segment of his "base" to keep them distracted from the larger, looming investigation and charges coming.

It's simply talking to the "Just Say No" demographic of old people, to reinforce their predisposition towards marijuana ...as they sip on their alcohol, pop their prescribed pills and watch Fox News.

The opiod crisis facing America and specifically states like ohio is such a bigger health concern ..but when your base is largely a stupid people, you say stupid things to get them fired up.

And its "Obama Bad" because, of course it is. Oh, and ...but her emails!! Lock her up!! And while you're at it, Lock up that nigger too!

I think you're right...

By Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Attorney General Jeff Sessions is rescinding the Obama-era policy that had paved the way for legalized marijuana to flourish in states across the country, two people with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press.

Sessions will instead let federal prosecutors where pot is legal decide how aggressively to enforce federal marijuana law, the people said

link to the article pasted from...

So what Federal Prosecutor in California, Colorado or anywhere else is gonna wanna screw with prosecuting pot usage that's being done in the manner set out in the state's laws?

I sure as shit wouldn't want to - it would be the last thing I'd want to do.

Last edited:
for conservatives that are multi-millionaires or billionaires, it's gotten better. For the rest of them, it's gotten worse, but they're too stubborn (and/or stupid) to see that.

for scammers that run for-profit schools and colleges, or prisons, it's gotten better. I think we can assume the same for frauds in general, white-collar criminals and the like. although to be fair Eric Holder's DOJ under Obama really took that to another level, and Trump's DOJ has just continued the policy to a higher degree, President Trump being a career fraud and glorified conman himself.

Don't forget those "generous" $1K bonuses being announced by some Big Corps, in lieu of wage/salary increases, which will be deducted @ the higher 35% tax rate. Since an estimated 84% of stocks are owned by by top 10%, and 40% are owned by the richest 1%, the boon from the Act will mostly be theirs to prosper further from. The relatively meager temporary tax cuts to the middle-class will be offset by higher monthly health insurance premiums and annual deductibles, largely b/c of the elimination of individual mandates.

As I have posted before, "temporary" means subject to change, and provides no guarantee that the cuts will extend the full 8 years. They could, and most likely will be reduced, halved, "drawn and quartered", and/or eliminated, long before 2026 rolls around.

Don't forget those "generous" $1K bonuses being announced by some Big Corps, in lieu of wage/salary increases, which will be deducted @ the higher 35% tax rate. Since an estimated 84% of stocks are owned by by top 10%, and 40% are owned by the richest 1%, the boon from the Act will mostly be theirs to prosper further from. The relatively meager temporary tax cuts to the middle-class will be offset by higher monthly health insurance premiums and annual deductibles, largely b/c of the elimination of individual mandates.

As I have posted before, "temporary" means subject to change, and provides no guarantee that the cuts will extend the full 8 years. They could, and most likely will be reduced, halved, "drawn and quartered", and/or eliminated, long before 2026 rolls around.

the press made a big deal about the bonuses.

the same outlets made less of a deal about Comcast and AT&T announcing hundreds of layoffs each after the tax cut. money to buy out employment contracts and move older, higher paid employees out, which is what tax cuts are always used for.

now on the other hand, instead of handing them money, try BREAKING UP these duopolies and oligopolies using anti-trust laws...

sigh...

yes, federal law trumps state law, except in cases where powers are not granted to the federal government (not applicable for drug laws, since that's an inter-state issue), and in cases where the federal law is unconstitutional; federal law can't require states to pay their own funds to enforce a federal law. but most states have their own drug laws, and the DEA is funded by the feds to enforce federal drug laws; it usually becomes a jurisdictional issue, with both state & local cops & the DEA clashing over who gets the big headline over a drug bust, and more importantly, who gets to keep the proceeds of the asset forfeiture...

if the board wants a formally researched legal memo on the topic, the board can pay an attorney to do that. fuck you.

Sadly, we don't have an attorney worth paying for a legal memo that posts here. Again, maybe someday. Sigh...

sigh...who is pretending Obama did that?

his administration did get better on this over time though, and Sessions' DOJ is a step back from that. a big step back. more like turning back the clock.

just everybody freaking out that this is a major change from the Obama era and a major intrusion on states rights. Other than those people, nobody.

who cares if they are withheld at a higher rate...it doesn't mean they are going to pay more in taxes.

champ brought up ATT giving out $1000 bonuses but laying off hundreds as well. According to what I read they gave out $1000 bonuses to 200,000 union and hourly employees. That's $200M. That seems like a lot of money to me. As far as the layoffs, from what I read it was mostly management. This should make you happy...give to the "poor" (union laborers) and take from the "rich" (managers)

who cares if they are withheld at a higher rate...it doesn't mean they are going to pay more in taxes.

champ brought up ATT giving out $1000 bonuses but laying off hundreds as well. According to what I read they gave out $1000 bonuses to 200,000 union and hourly employees. That's $200M. That seems like a lot of money to me. As far as the layoffs, from what I read it was mostly management. This should make you happy...give to the "poor" (union laborers) and take from the "rich" (managers)

FLSA was a result of union "labor" efforts and made law 80 years ago, many of the workplace benefits and protections that management and non-union labor enjoy today are not being denied to them b/c of it. Professional athletes and LEOs who most conservatives support or enjoy belong to unions. Lower level management lost their jobs, even despite the much ballyhooed TC&JA. If this law was supposed to "create" jobs, then why have ANY been cut?

Last edited:
FLSA was a result of union "labor" efforts and made law 80 years ago, many of the workplace benefits and protections that management and non-union labor enjoy today are not being denied to them b/c of it. Professional athletes and LEOs who most conservatives support or enjoy belong to unions. Lower level management lost their jobs, even despite the much ballyhooed TC&JA. If this law was supposed to "create" jobs, then why have ANY been cut?

My guess is those jobs were going regardless of the circumstances

Or are increasingly being sentenced to jail or prison for being charged with selling their opioids and zannies to augment their monthly SS income.

Last edited:

this is the kind of argument you hear on the playground at recess.

For all the third graders posting here - because economies, markets and companies evolve, situations change, required skills change, some skills become obsolete, automation eliminates the need for certain skills. should I go on? how about because the purpose of the law isn't to guarantee anyone a job for life.

Back