Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

An Essay on Human Intelligence, Written by AI

You think standard of living has improved? relative to what? how do you square that with average lifespans dropping in this country?

Standard of living is entirely dependent on wealth, and income, and as that gets worse for most Americans, their standards of living will continue to decline.

I'm not confusing anything... you're confusing it because you don't like the numbers.

I know our standard of living has improved - It's obvious to anyone who isn't blind. It's improved relative to what it was historically, that's how improvement works.

You can't seem to keep the historical narrative straight between corporate power and government power, and why government had to get involved in the first place.

If anyone has a problem keeping historical narratives straight it's the guy who keeps pushing an economic and political system that has an obvious record of complete failure. That's you.

Last edited:
I know our standard of living has improved - It's obvious to anyone who isn't blind. It's improved relative to what it was historically, that's how improvement works.

:hmm:

By our you mean you and other members of the 1%?

If anyone has a problem keeping historical narratives straight it's the guy who keeps pushing an economic and political system that has an obvious record of complete failure. That's you.

I know enough to know that without government dividing up the airwaves, issuing broadcast licenses, policing the airwaves and punishing those who violated other's broadcasting licenses, there wouldn't be a broadcast industry in America the first place... you can't have a radio or TV station if someone else can just set up a more powerful antenna on that frequency and override your signal

and removing ownership restrictions and content restrictions to allow the best-funded corporation to simply buy up all the competition in the industry & enjoy monopoly profits while government continues to preserve their monopoly by policing the airwaves for them is the sort of crony capitalism you claim to oppose and claim wouldn't happen without government intervention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who's doing better and who's doing worse and how is probably tricky. Straight numbers, more people are doing better globally. Especially the poor. I don't know if you'll take my word for it, but in terms of both total number of people at various level of whatever that hierarchy of needs is and as a percentage, I think we're doing better than ever.

But we're not doing well in a very American sense. The middle class has less class mobility and less financial security than before, and so it feels a whole lot worse. Being a broke American is probably better today than it ever was with respect to the hierarchy of needs. But it's also probably easier to go from solidly middle class, to dropping a peg or two on the hierarchy than ever before and that feels like society going backwards.

Last edited:

no, I mean literally everyone's standard of living has improved.

I know enough to know that without government dividing up the airwaves, issuing broadcast licenses, policing the airwaves and punishing those who violated other's broadcasting licenses, there wouldn't be a broadcast industry in America the first place... you can't have a radio or TV station if someone else can just set up a more powerful antenna on that frequency and override your signal

and removing ownership restrictions and content restrictions to allow the best-funded corporation to simply buy up all the competition in the industry & enjoy monopoly profits while government continues to preserve their monopoly by policing the airwaves for them is the sort of crony capitalism you claim to oppose and claim wouldn't happen without government intervention.

you know a lot less than you think you know.

you know a lot less than you think you know.

iu

Back