Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best Tigers Game you went to at Briggs/Tiger Stadium / Comerica Park

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/12/22/saturday-survey-108/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Now that Miguel Cabrera has retired, the Tigers are without a franchise face for the first time in almost 2 decades. He held the position jointly with Justin Verlander when both were on the team.

A franchise face is the person most closely associated with an organization. He must be well-known to fans and have a strong performance record.

For the organization, this player puts more fannies in the seats, brings in extra revenue and sells more merchandise. His face is used in media presentations and sometimes even banners draped outside the ballpark. On national tv, he is the player used in their promos.

It is still too soon for the Tigers to select a franchise face. Most of their potential candidates are still too young and without much of a track record.

But when the time comes, which of these players do you feel is most likely to inherit the franchise face mantel? (We are limiting choices to players who have had at least a year on the roster.)

Which player is most likely to become the face of the franchise?

1. Kerry Carpenter

2. Riley Greene

3. Tarik Skubal

4. Spencer Torkelson

5. He is not yet on the roster.

VOTE

I?m gonna go with Shohei ?Show Time? Otani.

Yeah, he just signed a ten year contract with another team, but there?s a clause in his contract that if - I think it?s Andrew Friedman - leaves the team - Shohei is free to walk.

So after two or three more seasons of first round playoff departures, State of Michigan born Magic Johnson is going to realize that Shohei doesn?t raise the Dodgers up to championship caliber more than they were $700,000,000 ago, and fire Friedman.

And ?Showtime? Shohei is going to decide to go where he truly has a chance to win - one Deetroit Meechigan.

EDIT: Or Otani could come and play hoops for the Pistons, who would have as much of a chance to win with him as they have without him.

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/12/26/whats-your-fave/
WHAT?S YOUR FAVE?
Totally Tigers

On this day, we?re asking readers to share their favorite baseball book, documentary or movie of all time.

You can pick just one. (Makes it more fun!) And in 3 sentences or less (optional), tell us why it ranks #1 for you.

Later this week, we?ll tabulate the results and share them with you.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/12/26/whats-your-fave/
WHAT?S YOUR FAVE?
Totally Tigers

On this day, we?re asking readers to share their favorite baseball book, documentary or movie of all time.

You can pick just one. (Makes it more fun!) And in 3 sentences or less (optional), tell us why it ranks #1 for you.

Later this week, we?ll tabulate the results and share them with you.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/01/08/fans-vs-fanatics/
FANS vs FANATICS.
Totally Tigers

I am reminded of the day I was sitting at a Tigers? game in Lakeland and heard a group of people behind me talking about how they were big fans. In the next breath, they were unaware of one of the team?s top players and his history with Detroit.

In front of me was a guy who was busy keeping score of the game in a notebook.

I was sitting in-between the 2 polar opposites of fandom and it got me wondering who exactly can call themselves a real fan of baseball?

I then realized that the word ?fan? is open to interpretation. Yet, it needs some type of definition.

If we take the word ?fan?, it is short for the word ?fanatic.? In Merriam-Webster, it is noted that a fan is ?marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion?. It comes from the Latin word ?fanaticus?, which means ?insanely but divinely inspired?.

But do you have to be this way in order to call yourself a fan?

Of course not. Rather a fan is someone who simply puts in time, interest and/or invests in the sport. To what degree is up to them.

And that?s how we can more accurately define who a fan is. Rather than creating a singular definition, wouldn?t degrees of fandom work better?

I think so.

How much of a fan you are should be determined by your involvement in the game and knowledge of the sport.

I would call them levels. And if we?re talking about the Tigers, here?s how I would define them.

Back