Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LeBron Scores 40,000 Points

Cam

Cam’tn Crunch
Administrator
Nashville Sounds
Cleveland Cavaliers
Nashville Kats
Pittsburgh Steelers
Nashville Predators
Tampa Bay Rays
Nashville SC
Vanderbilt Commodores
Last night, LeBron eclipsed 40,000 total points scored in his NBA career, being the first to ever do it. He did it against the Nuggets in a loss. Given his age, it's probably safe to assume he won't be reaching another major whole number. He'd have to play another 5-6 years to get to 50k. I guess 45k is possible, maybe? Probably not.

Anyway, do we think anyone else will reach this milestone down the road? Given the one and done rule, LeBron had that advantage of being able to jump from the high school to the NBA.

Luka has been on a pace where he seriously could, if he stays healthy.

I'm sure this is said a lot when these career records are broken, but I don't see anyone passing LeBron. The one and done rule helps with that. LeBron had the advantage of going straight from high school to the pros, and no one else has that now. The NBA needs to go back to letting kids declare in high school.

I'm sure this is said a lot when these career records are broken, but I don't see anyone passing LeBron. The one and done rule helps with that. LeBron had the advantage of going straight from high school to the pros, and no one else has that now. The NBA needs to go back to letting kids declare in high school.
The reason why they stopped was too many crappy HS players were drafted that never panned out. It's better now.

but there are still 18 & 19 year olds entering the NBA. It's not common, but it happens.

but there are still 18 & 19 year olds entering the NBA. It's not common, but it happens.

Sure, I know GG Jackson is an example of that. Drafted at 18, just turned 19 a couple months ago.

Load management is also much more widely accepted, so I’d imagine a lot of the players that would be in the running for this are sitting out more games. Mind you, the NBA just set minimum game requirements to be eligible for certain awards this season, so that might help minimize that issue.

Sure, I know GG Jackson is an example of that. Drafted at 18, just turned 19 a couple months ago.

Load management is also much more widely accepted, so I’d imagine a lot of the players that would be in the running for this are sitting out more games. Mind you, the NBA just set minimum game requirements to be eligible for certain awards this season, so that might help minimize that issue.
NBA players are soft. If you're healthy and can't play 82 games they need to get back in the gym.

NBA players are soft. If you're healthy and can't play 82 games they need to get back in the gym.

It's not great for the sport overall, but it's logical for them to take care of the bank anyway they can. Don't risk hundreds of millions of dollars. Isaiah Thomas is the perfect example of that. Dude thought he was going to get a max deal, but ended up with league minimum deals for the rest of his career instead.

Anyway, if you're a contender, 82 games could end up becoming 100+ games. Not to mention all-star nonsense, a play-in tournament, a mid-season tournament, the Olympics, FIBA, etc. This is why I think they need to just reduce the regular season. 82 games is too many.

It's not great for the sport overall, but it's logical for them to take care of the bank anyway they can. Don't risk hundreds of millions of dollars. Isaiah Thomas is the perfect example of that. Dude thought he was going to get a max deal, but ended up with league minimum deals for the rest of his career instead.

Anyway, if you're a contender, 82 games could end up becoming 100+ games. Not to mention all-star nonsense, a play-in tournament, a mid-season tournament, the Olympics, FIBA, etc. This is why I think they need to just reduce the regular season. 82 games is too many.
Who cares they're athletes. Like when Doncic sat games when they still had a shot at getting in. What was he resting for? It's not that physical of a sport esp. when so many never heard of defense. I still remember when a team rested guys for the playoffs figuring they were going to get swept. That was either the Nets or Philly I can't remember. That's why they're all mad because they want awards playing few games as possible..

Who cares they're athletes. Like when Doncic sat games when they still had a shot at getting in. What was he resting for? It's not that physical of a sport esp. when so many never heard of defense. I still remember when a team rested guys for the playoffs figuring they were going to get swept. That was either the Nets or Philly I can't remember. That's why they're all mad because they want awards playing few games as possible..

They're athletes that want to collect as much money as possible, so they care. :p

At the end of the day, it's all about the NBPA. The NBA has the strongest union in professional sports, and that's not necessarily good for the fans. Unlike Stern, Adam Silver also has an extensive reputation of being very player friendly. The players run the league. He's just... there.

They're athletes that want to collect as much money as possible, so they care. :p

At the end of the day, it's all about the NBPA. The NBA has the strongest union in professional sports, and that's not necessarily good for the fans. Unlike Stern, Adam Silver also has an extensive reputation of being very player friendly. The players run the league. He's just... there.
Which is why they're soft. Imagine these guys playing hockey. Blocking shots again and again.

Back