Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Ilitch gone now Chris Ilitch possibly selling the Tigers?

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/01/24/let-the-pressure-begin/
LET THE PRESSURE BEGIN.
Totally Tigers

The Detroit Tigers are going into their 2nd year under the new regime. New people have now had the chance to work together, the problems created and/or ignored by the former Front Office have been been discovered and changes have started to be implemented.

So what should our expectations be throughout the 2024 season?

We sat on our hands throughout last year, understanding that it was Scott Harris? first season in charge and that naturally, it was going to take some time for him to assess the organization. And as a result, many small moves were made last year as the organization readjusted.

But this year?

We can?t be as patient. Especially because we sat through the unmitigated years of disaster from 2015 through 2022. We need to start seeing bigger signs of hope and progress.

Chris Ilitch does, too. The Tigers have lost just too many fans. Studies show that fans start departing for good after 5 years of witnessing bad sports. It?s been over 6 now for the Tigers. Ilitch can?t afford another year where the Tigers remain uncompetitive.

The franchise lost app. $30 mill in revenue for the 2022 season. Only 5 other MLB teams lost more. (The figures for 2023 aren?t out yet.) This doesn?t even include the big question mark surrounding broadcasting rights ($60 mill/year) which are likely to expire at some point within the year due to the bankruptcy issues tied to Bally Sports. Currently, who will pay for what and how much is still up in the air and won?t be resolved for several months at least.

All of this means that the honeymoon for Scott Harris is officially over at the beginning of April. The pressure is on.

He?s got to start showing bigger and better results this year.

Multiple small moves will no longer cut it. It?s time for bolder moves.

But we need to understand that it?s going to take a month or two for what will eventually be the current roster to settle in. If we don?t include any pitchers, there will be at least 5 new positional players making their debuts. The Front Office needs to see how well they adjust before making any changes.

I wrote last week about just how many holes the Tigers have. One can deduce that the team is still a good distance away from being seen as an October player.

Positionally, the outfield is fairly well-settled. There is actually a surplus of players both current and expected to make their debuts later in the season.

The bullpen is also looking pretty good.

It?s the starting pitching and infield that are of real concern and will require the most work. And that?s what Harris must address and significantly improve this year.

Today, let?s focus on the latter group ? the positional players. First, by reviewing where the holes and question marks are that Harris must address.

And there are a lot of them.....

More in the link.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/07/another-quiet-december/
ANOTHER QUIET DECEMBER.
Totally Tigers

What if they threw a party and no one came?

That’s exactly what the Tigers wanted to avoid. It’s been exactly 5 years now since they hosted the annual TigerFest. An annual event at Comerica where fans could come and tour the stadium, listen to speakers and get autographs.

It always sold out in minutes.

But it all stopped after the 2019 season.

You know why. Two straight years of 98 losses back-to-back followed by 114 losses in 2019.

Not a coincidence.....

But one of the biggest factors in what happens next off-season is a person who doesn’t play or even don a Tigers’ uniform.

Has Chris Ilitch's run as owner of the Detroit Tigers doomed the franchise?
Since Mike Ilitch's passing in 2017, the Detroit Tigers have been abysmal. Failed trades, terrible free agent signings, and poor development are aplenty.
MCBTB

Young blogger.

HOW TO DO A REBUILD.
Totally Tigers

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL.
Totally Tigers

CORPORATE CROSS POLLINATION.
Totally Tigers

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

The hottest trend in home run celebrations (or “celly” as the players call them) continues to survive into the new season. It is when players use designated props in their dugout to celebrate a HR being hit.
Last year, the Tigers’ celly was donning a Red Wings helmet, grabbing a hockey stick and make a shot into a net. This year, it’s a spear with 3 faux pepperoni pizzas on top just like the Little Caesar’s logo.
How the Tigers came up with this year’s version and the strategy behind it can be read in yesterday’s blog.

The Tigers’ are MLB’s only team to not have their celly tied to their name, the city of Detroit or the Michigan region. Approximately one-third of teams refuse to introduce a dugout celebration.
So what do you think of the Tigers’ 2024 version with the spear and pizza?

What do you think about the Tigers' newest HR celebration?

1. It's a fun and smart marketing move.

2. It's boring.

3. It's tacky.

4. It's stupid.

VOTE

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

I don't have access to Tigers' TV, but I do watch the summaries / highlights on MLB (I pay $3.20 a month for the app) and the round-robin format of the Tiger analysts only causes confusion and discord, IMO. And Monroe's spoon-in-the-garbage- disposal voice combined with his "insider jargon" is painful to witness. Someone I know described his voice as "a 33-rpm record played at 78." Anyone over the age of 55 did this at some point.

I hope that next year it's just Pena in the booth with Jason B. Otherwise, I'll continue to not subscribe to Bally for TV coverage.

I don't have access to Tigers' TV, but I do watch the summaries / highlights on MLB (I pay $3.20 a month for the app) and the round-robin format of the Tiger analysts only causes confusion and discord, IMO. And Monroe's spoon-in-the-garbage- disposal voice combined with his "insider jargon" is painful to witness. Someone I know described his voice as "a 33-rpm record played at 78." Anyone over the age of 55 did this at some point.

I hope that next year it's just Pena in the booth with Jason B. Otherwise, I'll continue to not subscribe to Bally for TV coverage.
I don't think Tigers will be on Balley's anymore after this season.

Back