Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Roman Empire travel

Michchamp

I saw this site (maintained by Stanford) posted on twitter, which I thought was kinda cool

you can enter any two cities from the Roman Empire, and see how long it took to travel between them & the cost, using various measures such as mode of travel and time of year

Like if you're fleeing Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii to Rome in July would take 2.2 days.

today, that's 2 1/2 hours by car

Google maps says you can walk it in 2.1 days

That?s pretty much what MC said in they OP.

I?m pretty sure there were no cars on the road the day Vesuvius blew.

What about horseback?

What does Google maps say about horseback?

And what about a boat?

There?s somethin? ?bout a boat.

That?s pretty much what MC said in they OP.

I?m pretty sure there were no cars on the road the day Vesuvius blew.

What about horseback?

What does Google maps say about horseback?

And what about a boat?

There?s somethin? ?bout a boat.

Yeah, I think the default is foot, for which it gives a pace of 30KM/day

I think there's something else going on, because when I put "Horse" with a pace of 56KM/day, I still get 2.2 days, but it increases the distance by a bit. Maybe there are footpaths you can walk that horses can't travel on to cut the time.

"Fast carriage" - 67KM/day only gets it down to 2.1 days, despite being more than twice as fast.

"Horse relay" the fastest mode of transport, @ 250KM/day is 1 day.

It's pretty interesting but seems like useless information. Couldn't these nerds use their nerd brains to come up with something we can actually use?

Back