Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Good Place - with spoilers

Gulo Blue

About the spoiler at the end of the first season. The showrunner tried very hard to keep it a secret and nobody figured it out as far as they could tell watching twitter and reddit. Of the cast, only Kristen Bell and Ted Danson knew. When it was time to reveal the script to the other main cast members, they were called into a room and read the script and Kristen Bell filmed it. 3 of them said they thought they were getting written out of the show. Manny (Jason) thought Kristen and Ted were moving on to other things and they were getting promoted. Here's the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-J5QyF4hU

So...all that effort to keep a secret...and then there's Ted Danson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiXGsp4HrNU

I didn't read the spoiler...is this a show that is worth watching?

I like it. I watched it on Netflix a couple of seasons after it came out so the whole thing about the “spoiler” - all that had happened two years earlier-I wasn’t even aware of any of it.

Last edited:
I didn't read the spoiler...is this a show that is worth watching?
I really like it. I listen to the affiliated podcast and everything. But I also know people that really don't like it. You've got to be in that sweet spot where the afterlife and the ethics of a generic heaven is interesting to you, but you're not offended by a non-Christian version of it.

So...I finally finished the whole series.

I would say it’s based primarily on Buddhist philosophy; I kinda have always thought as I watched it, and the finale confirmed it.

Also it’s pretty funny, and there a lot of hot chicks.

I watched a few first-season episodes of the show. Its version of Heaven or the Afterlife is akin to a two-year-old’s crayon-rendition of a sunset.

I watched a few first-season episodes of the show. Its version of Heaven or the Afterlife is akin to a two-year-old’s crayon-rendition of a sunset.

At least get through season 1 before judging (A whole season is under 5 hours.) BUT I won't push you to watch it. Seems to be a niche audience.

Last edited:
So you?re not going to The Good Placelytize?
Nah. A small fraction of people really like it and I can't tell who those people are going to be ahead of time.

It presents a cartoonish version of the afterlife, BYCO is spot on with his characterization, but that's intentional. That's the setting. But it's not Three's Company, where that schtick of not getting caught goes on forever (I think that's how 3s Company went); there is a plot.

Nah. A small fraction of people really like it and I can't tell who those people are going to be ahead of time.

It presents a cartoonish version of the afterlife, BYCO is spot on with his characterization, but that's intentional. That's the setting. But it's not Three's Company, where that schtick of not getting caught goes on forever (I think that's how 3s Company went); there is a plot.

The cartoonish-ness is representative of the chaos that is existence, in the Buddhist construct, in which life and afterlife - and afterlife and afterlife - are part of one chaotic continuum.

Secondary and tertiary themes are end of life - which we all face, regardless of whether there is an afterlife or not - and the impact one’s life has had on those left behind once one is departed, again, whether there’s an afterlife or not.

There are also aspects of destiny, and messianism - not at all a concept limited to Judaism and Christianity - and whatnot.

Last edited:
The cartoonish-ness is representative of the chaos that is existence, in the Buddhist construct, in which life and afterlife - and afterlife and afterlife - are part of one chaotic continuum.

Secondary and tertiary themes are end of life - which we all face, regardless of whether there is an afterlife or not - and the impact one?s life has had on those left behind once one is departed, again, whether there?s an afterlife or not.

There are also aspects of destiny, and messianism - not at all a concept limited to Judaism and Christianity - and whatnot.

I think the tertiary theme is the idea that everybody hates moral philosophy professors.

(Mostly I wanted to also use the word tertiary.)

Back