Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Mens Basketball Coach and Staff Search thread

b311j

Seems like most of the talking heads are looking at Niko Medved and Dusty May right now. I have also heard John Beileins name tossed in as a temporary fix, but I can't see him coming back.

May is in negotiations with Louisville.

Some rumors coming from Kentucky people that Calipari to Michigan smoke is real. I doubt that is well-sourced and I wouldn't buy into it.

I don't know much about him, but there's nothing BAD out there, so that's good.

His name IS actually Dusty. Dusty A. May, according to wikipedia. I thought it might be a nickname, but no, his parents really named him Dusty. He was born in Peoria, which from what I know, is not particularly Dusty, so I'm not sure where the name comes from. If he was born in, say, Flagstaff AZ or Albuquerque, NM, I would think it had something to do with geography.

They were a final 4 team last year. That's all i know. Trying to figure out what kind of offense and defense they run and what kind of kids he recruits.

U. Bacon causing a bit of a stir on twitter by publishing some "insider info" that John Beilein deserves some amount of credit for the Dusty May hire.

There's apparently disagreement between the following:

1) some claiming Manuel didn't want to fire Juwan and only did so under pressure from the prez and regents, and JB did the lion's share of the work in getting May to interview, with Manuel only reluctantly going along when forced;

OR

2) Manuel directed all this and JB reached out to May at Manuel's direction.

both seem to agree that JB was involved and played a part in this...

So let's get rid of Warde and replace him with JB.

Here's his official welcome video and interview.

For the curious, he's been married to his "high school sweetheart" for 24 years, and they have 3 kids together; the oldest two play CBB (at UF and UCF).

Here's the official press release:
"The University of Michigan is among the elite institutions in the world and it is both an honor and privilege to be named its head men's basketball coach," said May. "This is a dream come true for me, my wife Anna, and my boys Jack, Charlie and Eli. I want to offer my thanks to President Santa Ono, Athletics Director Warde Manuel and the U-M Board of Regents for this opportunity.

"None of this would be possible, however, without the tremendous people at Florida Atlantic University. They embraced and supported me, as well as my family, from the minute I walked on campus. I can't thank my players, my staff, the administration and the entire Boca Raton community enough. We made memories at FAU that will last a lifetime.

"This was an incredibly difficult decision, however, I am deeply committed to reigniting the proud tradition of Michigan Basketball. I can't wait to get started."
I found another article online where he said he signed the contract with FAU before setting foot on campus, and after seeing the facilities, broke down and cried thinking that he just committed career suicide... but I guess points for toughing it out and succeeding there.

John Beilein definitely played a role in landing him and was part of the interview process, at Warde's request and invitation (according to the Freep here.)

Beilein may be returning to The Program in some role (link); it's a good sign that Dusty May is welcoming his predecessor here and crediting him, albeit not his immediate predecessor, but that's completely understandable. This is very unlike SOME unsuccessful Michigan coaches we know...

Back