Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tiger Payroll Purgatory

THE END OF AN ERA?
Totally Tigers

I give props today to a loyal reader, Motorcitytiger, who planted the seed that I should write about the Cody Bellinger deal. His suggestion helped to crystalize a blog I had been developing about free agency, Scott Boras and a certain former Tiger.
To start, it’s been noticed everywhere that the top 4 remaining free agents – Bellinger, Matt Chapman, Jordan Montgomery and Blake Snell – are all Scott Boras clients. This agent has been known to work out deals at the last moment but we are now into the 2nd week of spring training and it’s already a little late for the remaining 3 to catch up with players already well into their seasonal prep.
Now we have Bellinger who just returned to the Cubs. His new contract is for $80 mill dollars for 3 years ($30/$30/$20) with an opt out after each year. Consider this to be the equivalent of 3 1-year pillow contracts.

This contract is so very surprising given that Cody slashed .307/.356/.525 (.881 OPS) with 26 home runs and earned Comeback Player of the Year in 2023.
The top 4 analysts who predict such contracts estimated that Bellinger would receive a contract of 6-12 years ranging from $150 mill to $264 mill. He ended up getting half of the lowest contract estimate in both years and salary.
So why the huge disconnect? All the experts are still trying to figure it out.

What is the Detroit Tigers payroll this year?
The Tigers are not the big spenders they used to be. How do they shake out against the rest of their MLB competition?
MCBTB

Back