Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young, a Met, Astro again

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-cy-young-award-winners
JV edges Cole for Cy honors.
MLB.com

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/1...rd-2019-al-nl-justin-verlander-houston-astros
Justin Verlander wins 2nd career AL Cy Young Award.
BYBTB

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...g-snaps-streak-runner-up-showings/4186203002/
Ex-Tiger Justin Verlander wins second Cy Young; snaps streak of runner-up showings.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...er-al-cy-young-winner-gerrit-cole/4186051002/
Ex-Detroit Tigers star Justin Verlander wins 2nd AL Cy Young Award, but this one's sweeter.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/1...s-teammate-to-win-his-2nd-cy-young-award.html
Justin Verlander edges teammate to win his 2nd Cy Young Award.
Mlive

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...erlander-wins-second-career-al-cy-young-award
Justin Verlander wins second career AL Cy Young Award.
espn

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/1...ar-misses-and-a-resume-among-games-elite.html
Justin Verlander has 2 Cy Youngs, many near-misses and a place among game?s elite.
Mlive

Justin Verlander has a second American League Cy Young Award ? and a clear path paved toward Cooperstown.

Verlander beat out teammate Gerrit Cole in voting by the Baseball Writers? Association of America announced Wednesday. Verlander got 17 first-place votes compared to 13 for Cole, who became a free agent after the season.

The 36-year-old Verlander won his first Cy Young with the Tigers in 2011, when he was also named Most Valuable Player, and has since been a three-time runner-up.

Since 2011, Verlander (two), Max Scherzer (three), David Price and Rick Porcello have combined to win seven Cy Young awards. They all were part of the Tigers rotation during their run in the early 2010s.

Verlander had one of the best seasons of his carer in 2019, posting a 21-6 record and 2.58 ERA in a league-leading 223 innings. He struck out 300 batters for the first time in his career, and also eclipsed the 3,000 strikeout mark for his career. Verlander also led the league with a 0.80 WHIP and 7.14 strikeout-to-walk ratio. His 7.8 rWAR also led all pitchers, bringing his career total to 71.4 WAR.

When the Tigers traded Verlander to the Astros in 2017, he was a probable Hall-of-Famer. The last two-and-a-half seasons have erased any doubt.

Verlander joins 20 other pitchers who have won multiple Cy Young Awards, but that?s not a fair gauge of his dominance.

Cy Young Award shares, which measure the percentage of votes that a candidate receives each year, gives Verlander the credit due for all his close calls.

After Wednesday night, only six pitchers in baseball history have a higher Cy Young Award share than Verlander.

1. Roger Clemens 7.66

2. Randy Johnson 6.50

3. Greg Maddux 4.92

4. Clayton Kershaw 4.57

5. Steve Carlton 4.29

6. Pedro Martinez 4.26

7. Justin Verlander 4.21

8. Max Scherzer 4.07

9. Tom Seaver 3.85

10. Jim Palmer 3.57

Verlander has received votes for the Cy Young Award in an astonishing 10 seasons: Here?s a look back at some of his wins and near-misses from 2006 to the present: Close calls highlight Justin Verlander?s agonizing history with Cy Young award
https://www.mlive.com/sports/erry-2018/11/604decc7959888/another-close-call-highlights.html

Last edited:
https://www.mlb.com/news/the-10-biggest-mlb-trades-of-the-2010s
The 10 biggest MLB trades of the 2010s. Verlander trade here.
MLB.com

Would each team do it again? Of course the Astros would.
If the Tigers had known none of the prospects would look good in two years, they certainly wouldn't have, though it's worth wondering if the issue was in the players they acquired or "the ability of their farm system to help them improve".

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...e-team-made-our-squad-baseball-best-2010-2019
MLB All-Decade Team: Who made our squad of baseball's best from 2010-2019? Verlander here.
espn

Picking a 2010s all-decade team is fun, and everyone has been doing that. You know what's even more fun? Picking an all-decade team for every decade since 1900!

What goes into an all-decade team? It's some amorphous mix of decade-long value, peak-level dominance and iconic status. Some might factor in postseason performance or World Series titles, and some might consider that irrelevant, focusing only on regular-season numbers.

Here were my rules: I picked nine position players -- one for each position, including at least one outfielder who must be a center fielder, plus a utility/DH role that can be any position. I picked five starting pitchers, plus a relief ace for each decade since the 1940s. All WAR totals listed are from Baseball-Reference.com, and only numbers compiled from within the given decade were considered -- some all-time greats might not fit neatly in a specific decade; a few were great enough for long enough to make more than one all-decade team.

2019-20 Hot Stove League

Check in on the trades, free-agent signings and more, from now until pitchers and catchers report. MLB Offseason page ?

One general note: WAR doesn't make any timeline adjustment, something to keep in mind as you compare players across eras. As the quality of play improves over time, it becomes more difficult to post big numbers. In other words, my take is that an 8.0-WAR season is more impressive in 2019 than it was in 1929.

So let's get to it, starting with an in-depth look at the 2010s and then comparing our just-ended decade to the previous 10.

All-decade teams: 2000s | 1990s | 1980s | 1970s | 1960s | 1950s | 1940s | 1930s | 1920s | 1910s | 1900s

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/01/09/twice-as-nice-46/
TWICE AS NICE.
Totally Tigers

The Tigers have signed another catcher, Erik Haase, to compete for playing time along with Austin Romine, Grayson Greiner and Jake Rogers. How do our two bloggers translate this move?

As usual, I absolutely refuse to blindly buy into that websites totally negative rhetoric. Instead of their daily dose of highly redundant and constant criticism ..I would much rather have viewed at least a smattering of suggestions on who other's might consider for the catcher position ..as well as a brief explanation as to why?

As for Jake Rogers ..he was already 24 years old when the Tigers brought him up. Thus, it clearly was time to see what he might do at the major league level. Unfortunately, he totally blew it.
Nevertheless, at the time of the JVerlander for FPerez, JRogers, & DCameron trade ..most baseball pundits felt it was a very good return. All 3 prospects were considered most likely to be regulars at the MLB level within a few short years.
Franklin Perez was projected to become a very good starter at the MLB level, ..but he has been so injury prone that many now believe he may never even reach MLB. However, it is not anybody's fault that FPerez cannot remain healthy for more than a month at a time, and again, he was ranked very highly as a pitching prospect.
Daz Cameron had a very disappointing season for Toledo last year. But based upon a thorough comparison of his total MiLB stats vs his father Mike Cameron's MiLB stats ..I have every reason to firmly believe Daz will at least be as good am MLB player as his father Mike was. In fact, almost all of Daz's MiLB stats are better than his father Mike's were at similar age and longevity.
Jake Rogers may or may not ever be back at the MLB level. But like FPerez ..Jake was a very highly ranked defensive-first prospect. Something happened along the way ..perhaps began with his manager at the AAA level. I expect Jake to remain at Toledo until September call-up ..and then we will truly see his true value.

But, I digress. There is absolutely nothing negative about signing another catcher who may or may not even catch for the big-league club this year. Every year ..almost every team will sign a catcher(s) who may or may not pan out.

The Tiger rebuild efforts are what they are. The current "full" rebuild began in July/August 2017 ..so basically ..just 2 years 2 months at most into their "full" rebuild.
Knowing that this has been (and still is) a "full" rebuild, I would much rather see the Tigers lose 100 games than lost 90 games because either way:
1) They will not contend for any playoff spot, and
2) the difference is a top 5 pick vs a middle-of-the-pack draft pick.

Last edited:
I'm glad the Totally Tigers bloggers with inside info speak their minds on the front office 20th century dinosaurs, minors player development, and general incompetence.
The Detroit media at Detnews, Freep, and Mlive, and of course the Tigers official site ask and give cupcake Q and A with Al Avila and anyone else from the front office.
Avila was a pretty good scout at one time, but he is in way over his head as a GM.

Opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one.

I've said this in the past to a few posters who disagree with a blog or media site and what they wrote on the Tigers or Lions; and that is in their comments section tell them how you feel about what they wrote like you guys do here.

I'm glad the Totally Tigers bloggers with inside info speak their minds on the front office 20th century dinosaurs, minors player development, and general incompetence.
The Detroit media at Detnews, Freep, and Mlive, and of course the Tigers official site ask and give cupcake Q and A with Al Avila and anyone else from the front office.
Avila was a pretty good scout at one time, but he is in way over his head as a GM.

Opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one.

I've said this in the past to a few posters who disagree with a blog or media site and what they wrote on the Tigers or Lions; and that is in their comments section tell them how you feel about what they wrote like you guys do here.

I seldom post here, and in fact, only very recently started reading this site daily. With that said, ..this is now the second time in the past week or so that you seem to have openly chastised one of my posts.

As an somewhat older gentleman (in my mid-60's) ..my initial instinctive impression is that your comments directed toward me basically amount to a rather veiled suggestion that you would prefer that I not share my own opinions of any of the links you post here.

Consider it done!

Ah .. the Detroit Tigers from 2006 through 2013 are now not much more than the distant past! Memories have faded ..replaced by negativity that I have not seen even during the dreadful 2003 season.

It cannot be seriously disputed that the vast VAST majority of Detroit Tiger fans were more often than not absolutely thrilled with the Detroit Tigers from 2006 through 2013. They loved the fact that Mike Ilitch and Dave Dombrowski loaded the team up with very expensive talent, especially considering that much of that time the Tigers were competing for at minimum a Wild Card spot.

The fact is ..Jim Leyland and Al Avila were both a big part of those star-laden highly competitive teams. Now though ..seems many fans are convinced that those 2 Tiger executives are the worst thing to ever happen to the organization.

What has changed?

Basically, the primary change is that DD was fired and Mr Mike Ilitch passed away.
But far MORE importantly ..these days the Tigers are big-time losers. But honestly, this was (or should have been) totally expected when they openly embarked upon their "full" rebuild beginning July/August 2017.
Yes, just 2 short seasons ago, both Chris Ilitch and Al Avila consistently went public to let their fans know that it was going to be ugly ..that it would take at least 5 years to see the team become competitive again. With that in mind, be reminded that being competitive does not exactly mean to seriously expect a World Championship caliber team! No, "being competitive" more reasonably means challenging for a playoff spot.

So then, considering the "full" rebuild did not actually begin until July/August of 2017 ..where does the Tiger's full rebuild stand today? Well, realistically, the team is just barely into the 3rd year of their "full" rebuild. Also realistically, their future is much much brighter now than it was just 1 full year ago, and a light year ahead of where they were just 2 full years ago. IF one honestly considers the potential talent they currently have in the farm system ..as well as looking with an open mind what they might be able to add later this year and again by mid-season next year ..the Tigers are clearly a team on the rise.

So why does so much ill-will (negativity) pervade so many Detroit Tiger websites/forums these days?

Simple.

Indeed, just as winning can tend to bring out the best in people ..likewise, losing tends to bring out the worst in people.

IMHO ..most fans consider the game of baseball to be just entertainment. But of the dozen or so Tiger-related sites that I visit on a regular basis ..it has clearly become increasingly evident that too many true blue die-hard (and often older) Tiger fans take excessive losing much too seriously ..to the point that it undoubtedly affects their general attitude ..even their very outlook upon their daily life!

While I absolutely agree that chronic losing is not any fun whatsoever, ..I find it difficult to understand how otherwise kind & happy people can allow themselves to become visibly bitter and/or spiteful just because a sporting event did not go as they wanted it to!

But to each their own.

It has been my experience that I am more often a much happier person when I seek to find some 'positive' in even the worst of circumstances! I prefer to seek out potential opportunities even in situations where almost all hope is lost. Thus, ..it just seems to me that fans who often choose to become 'sour' might actually have a bit more a bit happiness in their lives if they would search for one or more potentially positives in the midst of many many negatives in regard to their favorite sports team(s).

Last edited:
I seldom post here, and in fact, only very recently started reading this site daily. With that said, ..this is now the second time in the past week or so that you seem to have openly chastised one of my posts.

As an somewhat older gentleman (in my mid-60's) ..my initial instinctive impression is that your comments directed toward me basically amount to a rather veiled suggestion that you would prefer that I not share my own opinions of any of the links you post here.

Consider it done!

My posts wasn't to chastise you, you made your opinion and I made mine, people post with different views, and that is what I said.

The previous time I spoke to you was very easy to understand. I add the same posts to different threads, so the team notes don't get cluttered with opinions in it and or arguments. No more no less. If that made you feel chastised, there is nothing else I can say to make you feel less sensitive.
This thread was one of those with the Totally Tigers in it where posters can make their opinions known.

My posts wasn't to chastise you, you made your opinion and I made mine, people post with different views, and that is what I said.

The previous time I spoke to you was very easy to understand. I add the same posts to different threads, so the team notes don't get cluttered with opinions in it and or arguments. No more no less. If that made you feel chastised, there is nothing else I can say to make you feel less sensitive.
This thread was one of those with the Totally Tigers in it where posters can make their opinions known.

I totally understand.
But what you failed to consider is that I had no idea that you regularly post duplicate links in different threads.
Again, ..I very recently became a regular here ..and duplicate posts and links are not the norm throughout any other baseball forum I have ever visited. So unless someone was already familiar with your 'duplicative' endeavors ..it is easily understandable that a relative newcomer might not have readily noticed.

Be that as it may ..seems to me that you could prohibit replies in your 'Sticky' threads so that newcomers like me who innocently posted in one of them would not have inadvertently disrupted your objective. :nod:

I totally understand.
But what you failed to consider is that I had no idea that you regularly post duplicate links in different threads.
Again, ..I very recently became a regular here ..and duplicate posts and links are not the norm throughout any other baseball forum I have ever visited. So unless someone was already familiar with your 'duplicative' endeavors ..it is easily understandable that a relative newcomer might not have readily noticed.

Be that as it may ..seems to me that you could prohibit replies in your 'Sticky' threads so that newcomers like me who innocently posted in one of them would not have inadvertently disrupted your objective. :nod:

The other sticky threads are okay to post more info and poster views/opinions.
Just the team notes are asked to be free flow team news. as I explained to you a few days ago.

Back