Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Records and JJ's rank against all-time Michigan QBs

Michchamp

I was looking at UM stats history to see what new records the 2023 team added, and I think most people know that Corum is now #1 in rushing TDs/season and /career. He's also #1 in Points Scored/season now, and edged Moody by ONE (1) point for most points scored/career.

My mind was blown by how good JJ was, statistically.

He only had two full seasons, so in terms of things like overall passing yards, attempts, TDs, etc., he can't compete with Henne or Navarre, who started games in four (4) seasons. But his completion percentage/season and /career is a cut above everyone else. He's #1 in Career Passing Efficiency by a large margin (160.5) and the rest of the top 10 are all below 150.

If JJ had another season like he did in 2023, he might have passed Henne & Navarre for career passing yards to take the #1 spot, and would easily have passed Grbac, Gardner and Denard Robinson.
  • JJ's INT% was the lowest of all time.
  • We also had the fewest turnovers ever as a team in 2023, thanks in large part to JJ.
  • And we scored the most TDs of any Michigan team for a season in 2023, edging 2022 by 1.
  • But not most points scored, that still belongs to Fielding Yost's 1902 team.
Generational talent. We may not ever see another QB as good as him in Ann Arbor.

Other stats...
  • Donovan Edwards will probably break the records for receiving yards by a RB this season.
  • Colston Loveland will land near the top in TE stats, but probably won't pass Jake Butt, even if our passing game is great again.
  • James Turner notched the highest career FG Made % of any kicker based on last season.
  • No one will ever touch Chuck Ortmann's punting records, thanks to the 1950 Snow Bowl against OSU... that game still stands as a statistical anomaly. Like Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak.
  • If we win one (1) road game in 2024, we'll set the consecutive road win streak for Michigan (currently tied at 11 straight, going back to the 2021 win @ Penn St.).
  • Unlikely we'll set the home winning streak though... currently at 22, but the all time record is 50, from 1901 to 1907... damn.
  • This team did set the conference win streak at 25; I think we still need to win a couple to set the overall Big Ten conference winning streak (Urban's OSU squad through Day's 1st season has that).

I don't expect we will see a QB like JJ again. The same can be said for Woodson. I expect Edwards will be the story this year for the offense. This is his year to shine. I really like this kid. Stay healthy DE!

Back