Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cliff Avril

renaldok

He hasn't signed the Franchise offer yet, and last I heard the two sides were a ways off.

So I pose this question:

What is the best / worst case scenario regarding Avril in YOUR opinion.

For me i'd like a sign and trade to a team for a late 1st or early 2nd rounder (wishful thinking.)

I like Avril, just don't believe he is worth the 8-10 million he is seeking.

Once again this is just an opinion (don't get butthurt)

He hasn't signed the Franchise offer yet, and last I heard the two sides were a ways off.

So I pose this question:

What is the best / worst case scenario regarding Avril in YOUR opinion.

For me i'd like a sign and trade to a team for a late 1st or early 2nd rounder (wishful thinking.)

I like Avril, just don't believe he is worth the 8-10 million he is seeking.

Once again this is just an opinion (don't get butthurt)

Best scenario.... he signs for a reasonable contract.

worst scenario....we draft a DE and take the franchise tag off and let him walk. Maybe they would take a run at A. Samuel with the savings, re-structure his deal...hmm...I guess that wouldn't be so bad

Last edited:
best case is he signs a long term deal in the neighborhood of 5 years 40 mill. worst is he plays on the tag all year, continues his progression and we watch him hit free agency next year because we won't franchise him two years in a row.

Hoping for a sign and trade prior to draft day is unreasonable. Maybe im wrong but i doubt MM is spending any time at right now call calling teams asking if they want avril at the price he wants to be paid. Reason is he doesnt even know if we have a replacement yet. If we end up with a stud DE as BPA in round 1 THEN he might make some phone calls to move him. But in no way would i expect picks out of this draft for him. Sign n trade wont happen until post draft if we have someone to replace him (mercilus, upshaw, etc).

Worst case....he sits...for a long time and we pay him 10.6 mil.

he isn't going to sign the tag....they'll get him signed to a deal after the draft.

they'll never let him "walk" and get nothing in return

Since the Lions managed to complete their offseason plan while keeping him under the tag, and most FAs are gone (meaning saving cap space right now won't do too much), Avril has pretty much lost all leverage. If he really wants to play with no security, let him. He dared Mayhew to manage his $10.6 million against the cap, and Mayhew did it. Avril can play on the 1 year deal with no long-term security or take what Detroit is offering. NO team will give up a high pick in a trade AND sign him to the $12-$13 million annually he's looking for.

IMO, he'll eventually "cave" and take a "lesser" deal for the security. He'll still get paid well, just not the crazy amount he wants. Players usually want that security. But who knows.

Last edited:
There is no leverage left in this scenario for either Avril or the Lions.

He's going to make a grip of cash this season, and get to walk in a year. The Lions know he is gone is a year, and can draft his replacement this year or next, assuming they don't feel Willie Young is going to be able to take over (which I think he might be able to).

No way Avril signs the tender before he absolutely needs to, because then he loses all leverage. No way the Lions offer a deal near the tender amount, because then they admit he's worth it, and they lose all leverage.

Basically, Avril will play this season, and be gone next. Not a huge loss, but not a small one either.

Avril will not play the year on a 10.6 million dollar tender...neither he nor the Lions want it to come to that....he'll get a deal before camp starts.

Mayhew has played this one perfectly IMO. Cliff will sign a reasonable deal as the season looms.

Back