Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Decommittment U.

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
sorry guys, but this is starting to get ridiculous. Two more decommits today and one of them are making the same claim that many others have - no contact, coaches stopped caring after the commitment.

And while I will say that the kids should grow thicker skin and realize the coaches are getting ready for the football season, you don't see this nearly as often at other schools. I mean, we couldn't get a coach to send a quick text once in a while to see how they're doing?

Is the staff ignoring all of their commits like this or just the ones they aren't high on? Was it Urban Meyer a few months ago that didn't recognize a commit when he was on campus and didn't even know his name? If I remember right, we crucified him on this board. We all praised Jim for his hard work in recruiting the kids, but does he just stop working after he gets the "yes"?

I know signing day is a long way away, especially for the 2018 class, and we'll still have a top class, but I really hope this doesn't become our reputation. IMO, Jim has done just about everything right so far, but dropping and ignoring recruits is a huge negative.

When the university signed on for Jim Harbaugh, they had to know this was part of the package. There's going to be kids that are told they are not up to snuff, there will be over-signing and releasing. It's not going to be all nice and ethically sound like the recruiting was under Hoke. That's what it takes to win as a big time coach in CFB.

Last edited:
I don't think this is trouble for the talent level of the class, but it's a level of cutthroat competition that some people used to cringe at when it was SEC teams. More than a year ahead of their singing say is better than 1 month, which is way better than after signing day...which is way better than what happened to Eliot Porter. In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen at all, but schools offer 200 kids these days, so the best you can hope is for this to happen early and players to land at schools that are a good fit.

The whole process has gone to hell, it truly has. Not sure how they can make changes in terms of the time frame that kids sign on to attend a university, but logically it just feels like giving a verbal for the 2018 fall season is too far out. Can't the NCAA institute a date that mandates verbals can only be given/accepted 6 months-12 months at the max?

Supposedly, Harbaugh told the tight end that it'd be better if he looked elsewhere because of our depth.

When the university signed on for Jim Harbaugh, they had to know this was part of the package. There's going to be kids that are told they are not up to snuff, there will be over-signing and releasing. It's not going to be all nice and ethically sound like the recruiting was under Hoke. That's what it takes to win as a big time coach in CFB.

So much for not wanting to be on the board anymore. I can undo your ban if you want. I couldn't delete your profile, so a ban was the next best thing.

I couldn't care less and think the obsession over verbal commits, class rankings and future classes is waaaaaaay overblown.

It's like fantasy football - pure conjecture and speculation.

Arguably one of MICHIGAN'S better players (after one week, granted) this year is Chris Evans -- a '3-star' kid out of Indy who wasn't ever on Michigan's radar.

And then there's '5-star' Kareem Walker who may or may not become a contributing Wolverine.

There is no way to know what is said to kids, what other coaches are saying or paying or what parts of the recruiting game played everywhere are being played at M too.

Best M team in a decade easily is playing UCF tomorrow and they look damn good.

I couldn't care less and think the obsession over verbal commits, class rankings and future classes is waaaaaaay overblown.

Arguably one of MICHIGAN'S better players (after one week, granted) this year is Chris Evans -- a '3-star' kid out of Indy who wasn't ever on Michigan's radar.

And then there's '5-star' Kareem Walker who may or may not become a contributing Wolverine.

There is no way to know what is said to kids, what other coaches are saying or paying or what parts of the recruiting game played everywhere are being played at M too.

I totally agree on those first few points. Fans of every school in America get hyped up and lose their minds when a kid gives a verbal commitment, I've never understood it, until the kid signs and is 100% in I have to take almost every verbal with a grain of salt.

Agree

I think one had an injury and was told while it was early, to look out flare better than the Situation last year

Frankly I'm tired of these kids thinking they are the center of the universe

I think there have been some flip-flops on our staff part but I am sure it is not an ongoing thing my friend does anyone know how many Decommit Jim had at Stanford
I also think it is getting more attention because it is Harbaugh

There isn't any penalty to these kids to commit early, then wait a while to decide whether to stick or not. They can commit and decommit to 10 different schools and nothing happens.

I notice when a recruit commits, but i'm not sold on it yet until they sign the dotted line.

To me, it's not about getting the best players and keeping them. I know we will. My problem is that this sort of thing can hurt the perception of our coaches and our team. Admit it, if Dantonio was pushing commits to leave and ignoring others for months at a time, you guys would be throwing yourselves into the mud just so you could condemn him and his program.

Saban can do this type of crap all he wants because he sends kids to the NFL and wins championships. It's not right, but that's why he gets away with it.

There isn't any penalty to these kids to commit early, then wait a while to decide whether to stick or not. They can commit and decommit to 10 different schools and nothing happens.

I notice when a recruit commits, but i'm not sold on it yet until they sign the dotted line.

Oh, this thread is about high school kids who are just verbal commits?

I probably pay less attention to recruiting than any poster on this board.

I couldn't tell the same of a single verbal commit to Michigan in high school.

I did watch that stream of the Harbaugh national signing day show earlier this year. It was kind of cool.

Except for that one kid, the #1 rated guy who drove somewhere to announce that he was going to commit to Michigan but his written commitment was held up for a couple hours
because he drove back to his high school to fax the letter in as part of a ceremony with high his high school team mates, I probably didn't know the name of a single recruit before that show.

I don't even remember his name now because he's only played in one game (that is if he played Saturday; it was a game that was pretty get distracted from and multi-tast during).

Either way Monster, I just needed some time away. I ended up landing a new job so I had to really focus on that for awhile and had some other stuff happening in my life.

2018 kids de-committing is a non-issue. 2017 3* TE(who really hasn't played) de-committing...........non-issue. Harbaugh and the staff are reassessing this years class. We are in on some big time prospects who would like to be a part of the team that will replace Alabama as the country's premier brand.

What is the advantage to verbally committing for these kids? Beyond getting some attention? Seems like it is pretty meaningless. Like others have said, I take it with only passing interest at most.

What is the advantage to verbally committing for these kids? Beyond getting some attention? Seems like it is pretty meaningless. Like others have said, I take it with only passing interest at most.

They guarantee that they have a spot with that school when they give a verbal, ensuring the coaches don't get other kids that leave you without a spot in the class.

Of course that goes out the window with Harbaugh, because he'll pull your offer regardless of your commitment status if a dryer player wants to sign.

A 2018 recruit and 16 year old kid changing his mind is hardly anything to concern yourself with.

Brian Griese must be reading my posts ...he said the same during the game today.

We have no idea what goes on during conversations between coaches and recruits, so posters on this board should stop trying to assume that they do. The recruits can say anything they want. The coaches cannot say anything at all.

If Harbaugh looks at a kid and says, "Kid, you're better off going somewhere else if you want to get some PT. Look, you can come to Michigan and ride the bench and get a degree or you can go elsewhere and get some PT" then I do not have a single problem with it. it's the best thing for both parties. Again, we have no idea how it went down.

Harbaugh tells them right up front that their offer is not final and their verbal is not final...

Back