Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do you have a 2007 Appalachian State horror story?

Michchamp

I remember the events of the day pretty clearly, as well as what I was doing, where I was, who I was with, and what I was thinking... it's a lot like September 11, 2001 for me in that way. Obviously, in the grand scheme of things, it was just a football game, but... this was Michigan Football.

I did forget a couple things, or at least didn't remember them as clearly as I remember losing. Looking back at the Box Score, I forgot our defense played pretty well in the 2nd half, only giving up 6 pts total, though 3 of those were the dagger, with App. St. scoring with only 50 seconds left. and we left pts. on the board with two late unsuccessful 2 pt. conversion attempts. Greg Mathews was our leading receiver... and that DOES make you wonder what AA and MM were doing before game day. App St. should not have been able to contain either of those guys.

and Jason Gingell had two (2) blocked FG attempts... and was later replaced at K by KC Lopata, who had a great season.

it's astounding the amount of things that went wrong for us that day. A few minor tweaks in personnel or coaching decisions would've resulted in a W. Or at least overtime...

Last edited by a moderator:
that's not really a horror story, I guess.

aside from the loss, I had a pretty good day. Got up early, went to the gym, had a good breakfast, showered, got to the bar early & got a great table for 5 of my friends, and drank lots of alcohol. The weather was perfect, 70's and sunny, with no humidity.

take away 11 AM Central to 3:00 PM central... and September 1, 2007 could've been a wonderful day.

My horror story: We lost to a d2 team at home. I didn't even get to watch anything until that final play. Had to work. Didn't even check the score until i got home. Figured it'd be 50-0 by the time I got home. Then the next week...what the fuck.

What are you talking about? 2007 Michigan Football? That's the year that started with that ugly loss to Oregon and ended with a great win against Florida with Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow, right?

we were forced to go to a bar to watch it because the fledgling BTN had no contract with Comcast, so we had no game. And there was a lot of BS that fall about having a contract in place before season ...whatever.

so we went down to LoDo's Bar & Grill where the UMAA meets and they play the fightsong and raffle off stuff, but it's a place we'd prefer not to watch games because it's a loud bar ...some knobs use the location to "network" with other UM Alumni and overall, it's not just about the game. plus there are some Florida State and NC State groups that meet too, so while the UM crowd dwarfs the others, it's not ideal.

So the game is going along and it seems like Michigan will pull it out... there is a nearby bucknut bar called Croc's and suddenly - as Ohio is beating Buffalo or whomever - a ton of bucks walk in all dressed in red and talking shit.

Game ends ...there is a rooftop crowd of CU and CSU fans across teh street, ahead of that night's Rocky Mountain Showdown and all are heckling the M fans filing out of the bar.

seems like a jinxed day all over and then Oregon, was worse.

What are you talking about? 2007 Michigan Football? That's the year that started with that ugly loss to Oregon and ended with a great win against Florida with Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow, right?

2007. Sept 1st we lost to app state and week 2 were crushed by oregon. Then we played florida and won our bowl game.

I was visiting my Wolverine brother. We caught the 2nd half while eating fish tacos at Duke's in Malibu - shocked at what we were watching on TV.

I'll go with something people haven't mentioned yet. I remember Brandon Minor subbing in for Mike Hart after Michigan's first drive of the fucking 2nd quarter. Like we thought we didn't really need Hart to win that day. I was seething watching Hart sit the bench in the 2nd quarter. Hart had 10 carries for 57 yards and a TD in the first half. Only one carry in the fucking 2nd quarter and the vast majority of the 3rd quarter. Hart didn't get another carry until there was a little over 2 minutes left in the 3rd. With Minor in place of Hart, we scored 3 fucking points in the 2nd quarter and 3 more points in almost the entire 3rd. Hart FINALLY got put back in on our last drive of the third quarter and scored a TD. One of the stupidest coaching decisions ever.

Last edited:
hart was pretty hurt if i recall

i just remember the SI cover and talking with Anton Campbell's mother - it was him that was behind the app state player on the cover -

I'll go with something people haven't mentioned yet. I remember Brandon Minor subbing in for Mike Hart after Michigan's first drive of the fucking 2nd quarter. Like we thought we didn't really need Hart to win that day. I was seething watching Hart sit the bench in the 2nd quarter. Hart had 10 carries for 57 yards and a TD in the first half. Only one carry in the fucking 2nd quarter and the vast majority of the 3rd quarter. Hart didn't get another carry until there was a little over 2 minutes left in the 3rd. With Minor in place of Hart, we scored 3 fucking points in the 2nd quarter and 3 more points in almost the entire 3rd. Hart FINALLY got put back in on our last drive of the third quarter and scored a TD. One of the stupidest coaching decisions ever.

well... hindsight is 20/20. he did have 188 yards and 3 TDs that day... and we still probably should've won it with him sitting for most of the 2nd and 3rd Qs... so I don't think it was one of the stupidest coaching decisions ever. A lot more things had to happen to make us lose that game, and did.

hart was pretty hurt if i recall
... -

In the Freep retrospective on it, he said he had a bad thigh bruise, and it was one of those things that hurt worse the more he got hit.

Here's mine: One minute left and you realize UM is going to lose. The shit I took in Badgerland was daunting.

I just remember thinking how over ranked we were at #5, I believe.......watched the game with my brother......and the first think I told him after was that this was Lloyd's last season.

I worked with a bunch of MSU grads at the time and they all went and bought App St shirts after the game and still wear them to this day to remind me. One of them just posted a pic of him wearing the shirt on Facebook today. Right below his post of an article claiming Connor Cook and the Heisman

I had to listen to the game on radio because I didnt have BTN back then. I was in total shock to say the least.

The whole thing was a horror story.

What I remember is that USC had the good courtesy to lose to Stanford and Harbaugh a week or two later, taking the spotlight off of Michigan for losing to Appy State a little bit.

This is probably the worst overall 'appalachian state story' ...

Deliverance-copy.jpg

I was working in Indiana in an aircraft hanger shooting Volkswagens with actors and the hanger was owned by an ND Regent Board Member. ND stuff everywhere. The game was on a TV in the lounge and I was (thankfully) only able to keep casual track of the progress. My first-born warned me about ASU and M better not take them lightly. I had a dread all that week that M was going to lose that I could not shake.

Back