Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

End of Akron Game

alonzomoseley

I didn't see any of the Akron game. I was following on my phone at my son's soccer tournament. This Notre Dame clown at my office swears that Akron got screwed at the end of the game. Like I said, didn't see it, so my description may be off. ND boy says Akron was given a first down at the one yard line with something like 24 or 25 seconds left, but then the spot was reviewed and it was determined that it was 3rd down, not fourth. In the meantime, 10 seconds ran off and were not put back on the clock. So ND boy says if Akron had made a first without scoring, the clock would have stopped to set the chains, Akron could have spiked the ball, and they could have run instead of passing. But they were screwed out of 10 seconds. As I write this, it makes no sense. And I have not heard or read anything like this anywhere else. And, to be honest, ND boy is not a bad guy and usually pretty reasonable, but he's also a Miami of Ohio boy and was honked about the MAC getting screwed.

Anybody know what he is talking about? Any chance Akron actually got screwed out of some time at the end?

I didn't see any of the Akron game. I was following on my phone at my son's soccer tournament. This Notre Dame clown at my office swears that Akron got screwed at the end of the game. Like I said, didn't see it, so my description may be off. ND boy says Akron was given a first down at the one yard line with something like 24 or 25 seconds left, but then the spot was reviewed and it was determined that it was 3rd down, not fourth. In the meantime, 10 seconds ran off and were not put back on the clock. So ND boy says if Akron had made a first without scoring, the clock would have stopped to set the chains, Akron could have spiked the ball, and they could have run instead of passing. But they were screwed out of 10 seconds. As I write this, it makes no sense. And I have not heard or read anything like this anywhere else. And, to be honest, ND boy is not a bad guy and usually pretty reasonable, but he's also a Miami of Ohio boy and was honked about the MAC getting screwed.

Anybody know what he is talking about? Any chance Akron actually got screwed out of some time at the end?

Honestly, I don't remember much of that last part other than they originally gave them a first down but then reviewed it and they didn't make the mark. How much time ran off, I have no idea. Fact is, they had 2 more chances to get the 1 or 2 yards they needed to win and they couldn't get it.

also, just call him a Chicken and move on.

He's lying about the time discrepancy. Review showed no first down but the Zips had a couple shots and failed and if anything, got an extended timeout during the review, for free.

Final play, Mattison blitzed up the middle and QB overthrew the intended receiver.

I've heard this argument, and I'll never understand how in some people's minds, the clock stopping when it should not have and the free timeout hurt the team trying to score.

In college football, a 1st down only stops the clock until the ball is marked. It starts on the whistle, not the snap. The clock stopped while the chains moved and the offense had time to get to the line. On the whistle, the clock started running while Akron was calling out a play to the 11 on the field. Then they got a free timeout when the call for review came down to the field.

If someone got "screwed" it was UM. (but not really) In that scenario b/c the offense was given a free timeout, and a temporary clock stoppage that should not have been. The clock should have continued to run, causing Akron to rush to the line and presumably spike the ball, costing them the down out of which your buddy claims they were screwed. Or they would have called a timeout, which IIRC would have been their final timeout, leaving a running play highly unlikely, bordering on stupid.

around 10 seconds did run off while they changed it from 1st to 3rd down and respotted the ball, but i dont believe they restarted the clock once they set the ball so that in turn made up for the extra seconds. akron ran the ball on the very next play which was 3rd down, they called timeout i believe to stop the clock, then overthrew the receiver on the fourth down play and the clock ran out. so they did have a chance to run the ball and they failed on fourth down so it would have been our ball either way.

Back