Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoyer perfect fit for backup

gloverunderthere

Go get him. Played for the pats for 3 seasons. It makes so much sense. I'm saying this and I hate MSU.

Already a bidding war between the Jets and Steelers for his services. He's going to go where he can get some playing time and both are good options.

Coaches love backup QBs who know the system, even if they aren't very talented. What they don't want is a guy coming in Q3 of a game, and fuckign up everyone's rythm and timing for weeks to come because they don't understand the playbook.

Orlovsky, for better(?) or worse(yep) is the backup this season. We're going to bring in a developmental guy to begin learning, but there is no veteran QB out there that is going to be signed.

It's all about continuity.

Coaches love backup QBs who know the system, even if they aren't very talented. What they don't want is a guy coming in Q3 of a game, and fuckign up everyone's rythm and timing for weeks to come because they don't understand the playbook.

Orlovsky, for better(?) or worse(yep) is the backup this season. We're going to bring in a developmental guy to begin learning, but there is no veteran QB out there that is going to be signed.

It's all about continuity.

You don't think a new backup could learn the system? They're NFL players. IMO, it's dumb to have a backup who can't play. 3rd stringer, sure. But backups need to know how to play. Where that comes from no idea, but Dan O. should not be here.

Hoyer's name came up here in Denver this morning ...ugh.

Sanchez, McCown, Hoyer ...all crap back ups, but I agree with the way in which coaches like their back ups to be familiar with the scheme. Not that they played for the coach necessarily, but to understand the terminology or keys, etc.

Last edited:
Ink, you could put me in the system for 10 years then, and just say it's all about continuity.

When you get into an emergency situation, it would be nice to have a guy that's SOMEWHAT talented where you can possibly salvage a game or two. If they brought Hoyer in now (or a more talented backup), I would much rather have him with a few months of the system under his belt vs Dan O, who has proven he's not capable of NFL quality play.

It's not that difficult to learn the system. A few months before the season and bam, he knows the system.

I think the general public thinks football is this incredibly complicated game that only Math doctoral students will understand.

You're arguing with the wrong guy. I am 100% certain that when I say "Coaches love backup QBs who know the system" I was not imparting mystic hidden knowledge upon anyone.

You guys know that to be true. It gets proven every year. It's a universal fact of the NFL.

I'm not the one saying a guy can't learn the system. I'm not the guy saying I love guys who know the system.

I'm the guy saying that the only reason Orlovsky was brought back here is because he knows the system Caldwell wants to run, and thats the same reason he will be the backup for the Lions in 2016.

Argue that shit with Caldwell.

You're arguing with the wrong guy. I am 100% certain that when I say "Coaches love backup QBs who know the system" I was not imparting mystic hidden knowledge upon anyone.

You guys know that to be true. It gets proven every year. It's a universal fact of the NFL.

I'm not the one saying a guy can't learn the system. I'm not the guy saying I love guys who know the system.

I'm the guy saying that the only reason Orlovsky was brought back here is because he knows the system Caldwell wants to run, and thats the same reason he will be the backup for the Lions in 2016.

Argue that shit with Caldwell.

That's why I said in another thread that Caldwell won't go get Hoyer because of Dan O. And as much as HC's like their guy doesn't make it the right decision. Or else a guy like Belichick wouldn't have drafted one two years ago.. he could have stuck with Ryan Mallett. Caldwell just not very smart.

Depends on the price tag. I'm generally against committing a lot of cap space towards a guy who will probably never see the field. If Stafford's durability was in question, then the situation would be different, but he's proven otherwise the past few seasons.

As long as it doesn't prohibit Detroit from drafting Cardale Jones, I don't care who they sign. :D

Back