Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kerby Joseph had surgery for an ongoing hip injury, out until training camp

DSF

Legion of Fans
In his second NFL season, Lions safety Kerby Joseph had an up-and-down campaign. Some of the downs might be explained by a hip injury Joseph suffered in Detroit’s Week 2 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

The ball-hawking safety missed the next two games before returning to action. His coverage range and closing burst were not the same for the rest of the season, however.

At Thursday night’s uniform release party at Ford Field, Joseph indicated the hip injury required offseason surgery. The recovery will wipe out all of his offseason prior to training camp.

“[I’m not] gonna come back until training camp,” Joseph said via the Detroit News. “Y’all just bear with me. But I’ll be back.”

The 2022 third-round draft pick insisted he won’t return until he’s ready and at a full go.

“If I’m out there, I’m going 100%. [There isn’t a] hindrance. I’m gonna give it all I got every time,” Joseph continued.

His injured status spotlights the rather alarming lack of depth at safety as the Lions enter the draft. Joseph and oft-injured Ifeatu Melifonwu, who has missed 17 games in three seasons with various injuries, are the projected starters. The only depth not committed to playing elsewhere (Brian Branch is Detroit’s starting slot DB) is 2023 undrafted rookie Brandon Joseph, who spent his rookie year on the practice squad.

An error has occured​

Please re-enter your email address.

Thanks for signing up!​

You'll now receive the top Lions Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Continue reading...

Back