Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lazor to the Fins

Is it just me or do these guys make more mistakes than ever these days trying to be the first to report a story?

Is it just me or do these guys make more mistakes than ever these days trying to be the first to report a story?

If they're wrong, they can edit/update no big deal. But if they're the first, well I guess they get a bunch of accolades. But more stories are wrong than right..

Dolphins must be out of their minds for hiring that guy!!!

Derp derp derp ....

Do the Dolphins even have a GM yet? So all these guys will get fired next year if unsuccessful because they weren't the GM's guy.

I can tell you for 100% fact that media outlets are getting it wrong these days more than ever.

As you guys know, I work for a newspaper chain, and our headquarters is in Sierra Vista, AZ. where Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is from. The day she was shot a few years ago, it was a madhouse here, and I got called in that morning to keep the web servers running, because the instant load crashed the larger papers out of Tucson and Phoenix.

You all have probably heard that multiple papers in her district reported she had been killed that morning. All of those papers were papers in our group.

NPR reported her death, and shortly thereafter a publisher of another of our papers talked to a police officer at the scene who said she was dead and taken from the scene in a body bag.

Two sources had her dead, one a credible media outlet, and the other a cop on the scene... we went with the story. We sent an SMS alert to cell phones, posted in our website, and were preparing the headlines. Five minutes after sending the alert, we learned she was in surgery and alive.

The rush to get the story out has become a priority in the news business. The internet has made the demand immediate. People want the story now, not in 15 minutes. And as a result, we're getting stories wrong more and more every day.

It's my firm belief we need to back up, and make sure it's right, because credibility is the only thing separating news outlets from bloggers now. We have to take that more seriously. A few more black eyes to our industry might just wake people up too.

I can tell you for 100% fact that media outlets are getting it wrong these days more than ever.

As you guys know, I work for a newspaper chain, and our headquarters is in Sierra Vista, AZ. where Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is from. The day she was shot a few years ago, it was a madhouse here, and I got called in that morning to keep the web servers running, because the instant load crashed the larger papers out of Tucson and Phoenix.

You all have probably heard that multiple papers in her district reported she had been killed that morning. All of those papers were papers in our group.

NPR reported her death, and shortly thereafter a publisher of another of our papers talked to a police officer at the scene who said she was dead and taken from the scene in a body bag.

Two sources had her dead, one a credible media outlet, and the other a cop on the scene... we went with the story. We sent an SMS alert to cell phones, posted in our website, and were preparing the headlines. Five minutes after sending the alert, we learned she was in surgery and alive.

The rush to get the story out has become a priority in the news business. The internet has made the demand immediate. People want the story now, not in 15 minutes. And as a result, we're getting stories wrong more and more every day.

It's my firm belief we need to back up, and make sure it's right, because credibility is the only thing separating news outlets from bloggers now. We have to take that more seriously. A few more black eyes to our industry might just wake people up too.

Crazy story Ink. I can see how the rush to compete with everyone with a Twitter handle can cause the big boys to get it wrong. Cool job working in the media, how did you get into that?

Quite a few reported Lazor to the Lions, Werder and Rappaport, so I think he was contacted but had gone or had made up his mind to go to the Phins.

Crazy story Ink. I can see how the rush to compete with everyone with a Twitter handle can cause the big boys to get it wrong. Cool job working in the media, how did you get into that?

Quite a few reported Lazor to the Lions, Werder and Rappaport, so I think he was contacted but had gone or had made up his mind to go to the Phins.

Well, to be honest, I'm the network engineer for the company, 28 newspapers. Not like a journalist or editor or anything, although I write annual columns on the NFL Draft and MLB Opening Day for the paper at our home office... mostly just because they ask me to.

I got into doing this because newspapers predominantly use Macs for layout and ad design. I grew up on Unix, been using Unix flavors since I was 11... 29 years ago.

A few years back Macs went to a BSD engine (Unix) with a pretty desktop. Since it's not common to find Mac technicians, the company also went looking for a Unix engineer, and found me.

At first I didn't know much about Macs, but once I opened a terminal and found out it was all Unix under the hood, I was right at home. Been doing the news gig ever since.

Now I am the Senior Network Engineer for the entire company, and web designer for the local branch.

Well, to be honest, I'm the network engineer for the company, 28 newspapers. Not like a journalist or editor or anything, although I write annual columns on the NFL Draft and MLB Opening Day for the paper at our home office... mostly just because they ask me to.

I got into doing this because newspapers predominantly use Macs for layout and ad design. I grew up on Unix, been using Unix flavors since I was 11... 29 years ago.

A few years back Macs went to a BSD engine (Unix) with a pretty desktop. Since it's not common to find Mac technicians, the company also went looking for a Unix engineer, and found me.

At first I didn't know much about Macs, but once I opened a terminal and found out it was all Unix under the hood, I was right at home. Been doing the news gig ever since.

Now I am the Senior Network Engineer for the entire company, and web designer for the local branch.

Congrats, there is not limit to the success of a man who knows computers. I'm trying to get my programming skills on point. How did you get such a young start? Just general interest? BTW would love to read that draft column.

Congrats, there is not limit to the success of a man who knows computers. I'm trying to get my programming skills on point. How did you get such a young start? Just general interest? BTW would love to read that draft column.

I dunno really. In the mid 70's I used to take my blocks as a three or four year old kid and set them up like a little keyboard and play on it.. pretending it was a computer. I'm not even sure how a young kid in the 70s really knew what a computer was to be honest.

By 4th grade I was programming in BASIC on a TRS80 Model IV. By 5th grade I was programming on an Atari 600XL. At 12, I built my own Heath Kit computer. It's just the thing I always wanted to do, as far back as my earliest memories.

If you're brushing up on programming, I recommend PHP and TCK/TK. Web languages will dominate the next generation. Javascript as well.

When I do my next draft column, I'll post a link here.

I dunno really. In the mid 70's I used to take my blocks as a three or four year old kid and set them up like a little keyboard and play on it.. pretending it was a computer. I'm not even sure how a young kid in the 70s really knew what a computer was to be honest.

By 4th grade I was programming in BASIC on a TRS80 Model IV. By 5th grade I was programming on an Atari 600XL. At 12, I built my own Heath Kit computer. It's just the thing I always wanted to do, as far back as my earliest memories.

If you're brushing up on programming, I recommend PHP and TCK/TK. Web languages will dominate the next generation. Javascript as well.

When I do my next draft column, I'll post a link here.

I do data analysis work so I've started with Python. I learn JavaScript on the side through code academy. When I have time I'll get full on into the web languages, right now I'm just trying to expand my skill set, so I started with one I use daily.

That's fascinating how you got into that at an early age. My dad who's 72 has basically a less than a high school education had a computer from the time you could by the very first PC and he's credited that with his ability to make a living with no formal schooling.

I do data analysis work so I've started with Python. I learn JavaScript on the side through code academy. When I have time I'll get full on into the web languages, right now I'm just trying to expand my skill set, so I started with one I use daily.

That's fascinating how you got into that at an early age. My dad who's 72 has basically a less than a high school education had a computer from the time you could by the very first PC and he's credited that with his ability to make a living with no formal schooling.

I'm 40 now, and a high school drop out, working as an upper-level exec with a major newspaper family... all because of my skills with servers and networks.

Obviously, I agree with your dad. Computers run the world, and the people who can run the computers will have work, regardless of their diplomas and degrees... not that I am in any way encouraging anyone to follow my path.

A degree and a kind word will get you further than just a kind word.

Back