Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions draft prospect of the day: Brandon Dorlus, DE, Oregon

DSF

Legion of Fans
The Lions Draft Prospect of the Day follows the pro day circuit on the Pacific coast from Oregon State to Oregon.

The focus is on players who should hold some appeal to the Lions in the draft, with a focus on the more likely positions the team will be targeting. If you’re looking for quarterbacks or upper-echelon running backs, you’re probably not going to find those here. Outside cornerbacks, defensive linemen, interior offensive linemen, some wide receivers and offensive tackles figure to appear along the path to April’s draft. Not all of the players will be top-100 prospects, either.

Today’s prospect is a versatile defensive lineman looking for a full-time position to man in the NFL.

Brandon Dorlus, DE, Oregon

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 283 pounds (both measurements from the combine)

Dorlus was a fixture on the Ducks defensive line for five college seasons, playing in 57 games. He bounced between playing as a 3T and a stand-up OLB at various times, even in the same quarter. He was a 2-time All-PAC 12 first-team performer, finishing his career with 12 total sacks and 27 TFLs. Dorlus also broke up 11 passes in his final two seasons. He turns 23 on March 22.

What I like

• Quick initial mover in any direction for a guy his size
  • Positional versatility and success rushing the passer from multiple alignments
  • Good rip and over moves as a rusher, coordinated hands and shoulders
  • Can stack and shed on the edge
  • Good chase speed for his size
  • Very adept at getting his hands into passing lanes and going after the ball
  • Strong hands that can discard blocks and hang onto reach tackles

What worries me going into the NFL

• Classic DE/DT tweener who played at a variety of weights but adapted his game to the opposite spot; when he played in the low 290s he wasn’t as powerful inside, but when he got into the 270s he relied more on strength instead of quickness on the outside
  • Consistently plays too tall in the run game, too easy of a target to block
  • Little production as a tackler or pass rusher beyond generating initial pressures; just 69 total tackles in almost 2,000 snaps his final three years
  • Doesn’t always take good or aggressive angles in run defense
  • Per PFF, career missed tackle rate over 23 percent
  • Struggled to get any wins during Senior Bowl 1-on-1 reps that didn’t involve the OL screwing up

Best game I watched: USC

Worst game I watched: Utah

Overall

Dorlus is almost a physical clone of Detroit’s Josh Paschal. Paschal is a quarter-inch shorter and one pound heavier, based on his listed Lions weight. Their arm length and hand size are very close, as is their overall build. Paschal tested as a better athlete, but not significantly other than the 40-yard dash time–which isn’t super important for defensive linemen.

The issues that Paschal is having in the NFL with finding a place to play at his size will almost certainly plague Dorlus. His anchor, strength and play demeanor are all inadequate inside other than in specific pass rush packages. The litheness and twitch aren’t enough on the outside to be more than an occasional threat. When he wins, Paschal does so on football IQ, motor and technical prowess. Dorlus isn’t quite to his level on any of those, but like with the size, it’s pretty close.

It’s hard to see the Lions wanting a replica of Paschal when they are still two years into figuring out what the original Paschal can do. Dorlus does offer a clean bill of health, and also being almost two years younger, however. He’s generally projected in the third or fourth round, and that’s probably higher than I’d be comfortable taking him if I’m the Lions.

Continue reading...

Back