Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mayhew's BPA Strategy

renaldok

So I have a few questions regarding MM's BPA strategy.

BPA is selected regardless of need / position correct? (If BPA happens to be an area of need great)

Any chance MM trades up or down to acquire a few extra picks or a can't miss prospect this year? (ala Patrick Peterson last year)

The Offensive line and the Secondary are the two areas needing most help, so realistically
Do any of you think BPA for 1st round might also fill a need this year (without reaching too much).

Also with the recent herbal events, do the Lions brass say F it even if BPA has Character / off the field concerns or do the past days events make them gun shy?

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

Mayhew's strategy should be called "Best Player Available Within Reason".

It's pretty obvious that if the best player on the board is a QB, we're probably not drafting another 1st round QB right now. Same with DT I would think.

What BPA means to Mayhew is that he will never reach for a player just to fill a position of need. He's not going to take a 2nd round graded CB in the 1st just to fill that need. He will go with the best player that makes sense for the team.

In the case of Fairley last year, he was the best player on the board, and while DT was not the team's biggest need, it sure doesn't hurt to draft another one (since we play with two on every snap) so he could take Fairley instead of reaching for a bigger need. If Fairley had been taken at #12 by the Vikings, Mayhew wouldn't have taken Ponder at #13 just because he was highly rated on the draft board.

Our 1st round pick will absolutely fill a need with a player who makes sense at #23, and no, it won't be a guy like Jenkins because of the weed connection, but that is because off the field issues also factor into what makes a guy the Best Player Available, and those kind of issues are now having an impact on how the Lions see these players.

If Jenkins were for some reason still on the board in the 3rd round, I doubt the Lions would pass on him, but 1st or 2nd round is probably out now.

My thoughts are they stay with the 23rd pick and take BPA. No trades. But I could see him moving up to a better 2nd round pick.. Maybe move up 10 spots and trade their 4th.

Jonathon Martin , Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams......book it

So I have a few questions regarding MM's BPA strategy.

BPA is selected regardless of need / position correct? (If BPA happens to be an area of need great)

Any chance MM trades up or down to acquire a few extra picks or a can't miss prospect this year? (ala Patrick Peterson last year)

The Offensive line and the Secondary are the two areas needing most help, so realistically
Do any of you think BPA for 1st round might also fill a need this year (without reaching too much).

Also with the recent herbal events, do the Lions brass say F it even if BPA has Character / off the field concerns or do the past days events make them gun shy?

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

I think there's a small amount of wiggle room. If players are VERY close, I suspect they factor in need a little.

Last year, Nick Fairley was far and away the best available player. IIRC, when asked about Hogue in round 5, Schwartz said that there were 2-3 players they liked about the same, and Hogue fit what they wanted more so they chose him. If players are very similar, they probably factor need in a little bit.

I'd rather have Zabrie Sanders in the 2nd than Mike Adams in the first, due to versatility.

Ink,
thanks for the info. I was thinking about the 2nd round rated CB stretch when i asked that question. I'd like Glenn or Martin to play RG/ RT for a year or so then possibly slide over to replace Jeffy B. @ LT.hopefully Fox or Culbreath or SOMEBODY pans out better than Gosder.

Back