Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Paterno Fired

I didn't think he would coach another game, but I expected him to be placed on leave while they investigate.

That's what I said would happen....couldn't fathom him being on field for any of the final 3 games and possible Bowl.

well they said is no longer coach - they can still just have him retire -

Dang. Don't agree with it, but it's understandable.

I haven't followed it as closely as many, but my understanding is that he was told by McQueary about something McQueary witnessed. JoePa told him to go to the cops, and Paterno told his AD about it.

What am I missing?

bamf16 said:

I haven't followed it as closely as many, but my understanding is that he was told by McQueary about something McQueary witnessed. JoePa told him to go to the cops, and Paterno told his AD about it.

What am I missing?

oh boy... read the thread with the timeline ML posted.

it's ugly.

bamf16 said:

What am I missing?

Bam I think the question is god forbid McQuery saw Joe's grandson at 10 being having sex in the locker room and Joe was told, would he have done more? I would suggest he would have taken it to the supreme court if necessary, not just he reported it to his supervisor. That tells me what is right here and of course that is my opinion but all involved here are cowards! This was the right thing to do.

I want to know what about McQueary. he should be fired as well.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Local hack reporters are giving this Surma guy a hard time...

Seriously, that "last question" was ludicrous. As if this vulgar and disgusting multi-decade story is part of a conspiracy to force Paterno out.

Un-fucking-believable.

TheVictors03 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Local hack reporters are giving this Surma guy a hard time...

Seriously, that "last question" was ludicrous. As if this vulgar and disgusting multi-decade story is part of a conspiracy to force Paterno out.

Un-fucking-believable.

Those local hack reporters sounded like an angry mob about to pull out the torches and pitchforks and go after the Board of Trustees...I'd say they got the board out of there just in the nick of time...

So now the precedent is set that if someone tells you they witnessed a crime, you can notify your superior and have knowledge that an investigation is ongoing. If someone else botches the investigation, a decade later you can lose your job?

I know the heinous nature of these crimes. They're sickening. I'd love to have been McQueary and been able to take a swing at that old pervert. But I'm not comfortable with a precedent that says that if someone tells you they saw a crime, you can lose your job if someone else fucks up the investigation. That timeline indicates that Joe immediately notified a superior, and from what I'm gathering knows there was an investigation. Was he expected to monitor the investigation?

there is more to this - it has to do with child abuse issues and now Dept of Ed comes in on the Clery act about reporting crimes on campus (EMU has had the largest fine to date on that one)

fired over the phone, unanimous decision, no reason given, no consideration given for Paterno's preemptive resignation

There is no precedent being set tonight.

Situations like these necessitate certain responses and this has happened many times. I wouldn't simplify this story -- just from what I've read -- to be about "being told something by someone that might have happened."

We're way beyond that now in this situation and if anything, the Board is following precedent set decades ago from similar scandalous scenarios.

bamf16 said:
So now the precedent is set that if someone tells you they witnessed a crime, you can notify your superior and have knowledge that an investigation is ongoing. If someone else botches the investigation, a decade later you can lose your job?

I know the heinous nature of these crimes. They're sickening. I'd love to have been McQueary and been able to take a swing at that old pervert. But I'm not comfortable with a precedent that says that if someone tells you they saw a crime, you can lose your job if someone else fucks up the investigation. That timeline indicates that Joe immediately notified a superior, and from what I'm gathering knows there was an investigation. Was he expected to monitor the investigation?

it's not just that. Sandusky was pretty much around for almost a decade after Paterno definitely knew (2002 or so), and given the time Sandusky was "retired" from the program, 1999, a year after he was investigated by the police for showering with a kid, there's a pretty clear appearance of impropriety at the very least that Paterno knew about it, allowed him to retire & was OKAY with burying the issue.

So, while Paterno wasn't under a legal obligation to do more, he certainly didn't conduct himself according to a higher moral standard.

Given the nature of the allegations, and the now-public report from the Grand Jury... no WAY anyone who knew about it is going to be allowed to keep their jobs.

TheVictors03 said:
[color=#551A8B said:

Un-fucking-believable.

I agree and that reported should probably be arrested as well. This world is full of nut jobs!!

Mike hart tweet just now
Don't think for 1 second the trustees didn't give JoPa a chance to resign.. He chose to go out this way and allow the students to do this

personally i think joe tried to fight it with his statement aboutu retiring at end of season and that they didn't need to spend time talking about him

Back