Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartans at Maryland

Spartanmack

The Spartans opened up as 8.5 point dogs on the road vs. the Terrapins but that spread has widened to +9.5 this morning. Some questions were answered in week 1. In general, they weren't the answers we hoped for but there are still a lot of unknowns. Like how real is the defense? They looked pretty good against a one-dimensional FAU. How big of a problem does Tai Felton & co present for our untested backfield? How much will the loss of Tatum and Majeed matter? Can our WRs get separation and can Chiles' improve his accuracy to take pressure off of the mediocre running game? Will Chiles use his athleticism to run for first downs instead of waiting for slow people to get open? Will Lindgren give Lynch-Adams more carries this week? If given the opportunity, Will Smith kick the FG to make it a 2 scores with 10 minutes left?

So far there hasn't been a lot to be excited about but there are some unknowns about the 'terps at this point as well. Like is their QB legit? He looked good against an uninspired UConn defense. How big of a problem will their defense pose or is our offense so bad again it doesn't matter who they're lining up against?

The fact that MD rolled in their opener and is playing at home while we struggled in ours is probably enough to justify the spread. But it still hurts to know the state of the program is so bad that we're almost double digit underdogs to a mediocre basketball school whose mascot is a freakin' turtle. This guy gets it…

Last edited:
Was not impressed at all with the team. It’s going to be a long season. Way too many penalties, OL has no push in the run game, coaching decisions like using the wrong rb and not taking the fg to go up 2 scores. I did miss the beginning of the game, maybe they looked great then.

Was not impressed at all with the team. It’s going to be a long season. Way too many penalties, OL has no push in the run game, coaching decisions like using the wrong rb and not taking the fg to go up 2 scores. I did miss the beginning of the game, maybe they looked great then.
As I’m sure you know, they did not. First play of the game was an interception (mostly Foster’s fault, somewhat replay officials fault for a bad overturn). But the game never got measurably better from there to whenever you tuned in.

I’m trying to stay positive (not optimistic, but positive) hoping much of the problems are fixable and we can at least claw our way up from here. An upper middle 3rd of the conference is looking like a very aspirational goal at this point with the bottom quartile being a higher probability than we should expect from the program.

First drive on defense is a Maryland td. 3 deep passes just missed while getting behind the defender.

What on earth does Haladay show in practice to get him on the field in 3rd down passing situations? 2 completely different staffs have used him in that situation and the fucker couldn't cover one of us on a route. Rucker is trash too.

Chiles is gonna have to improve fast from last week because this is the same trash defense we have

Good drive by the offense, looked a lot better than what I saw last week. Hope they stay consistent.

Marylands defense looks worse than ours. Chiles looked like a different guy on that drive.

Last weeks offense is back. Run up the middle goes nowhere followed by an incomplete where chiles shud have run it, followed by an overthrow interception.

Chiles seems to try to throw the fastball every pass. Gonna get picks like that until he learns some touch.

Wow Glover got a few yards of separation. Did the dB fall down? lol

Great job of holding onto the ball going to the ground

Got stops on 3rd and 19 and 3rd and 12. I don't know if our defense stopped a 3rd and 10+ at any point last year lol

Back