Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Top 50 HS football players in the last 50 years in Oakland County

byco42

This list is impressive. Four of the 50 spots, according to this poll, are occupied by Royal Oak Shrine players:

Jim Seymour (#4)
John Wangler (#6)
Bill Simpson (#14)
Paul Seymour (#19)

Link

Last edited:
This list is impressive. Four of the 50 spots, according to this poll, are occupied by Royal Oak Shrine players:

Jim Seymour (#4)
John Wangler (#6)
Bill Simpson (#14)
Paul Seymour (#19)

Link

The 4 in the Pro's not so much. Though Bill Simpson had a decent supply of INT's, the other 3 did little or nothing.

Too bad Wangler got hurt.

Jim Seymour (#4)
John Wangler (#6)
Bill Simpson (#14)
Paul Seymour (#19)

Link

Hey, 12 went to Brother Rice! one of them is married to a 2nd or 3rd cousin
of mine (I always forget how it goes). I kinda want to meet him & hear his dumb football stories.

Were the Seymours from Shrine related to the later TE that played for Michigan (Bill Seymour) in the late 90's/early 00's?

of mine (I always forget how it goes). I kinda want to meet him & hear his dumb football stories.

Were the Seymours from Shrine related to the later TE that played for Michigan (Bill Seymour) in the late 90's/early 00's?

Mom or Dad's brothers or sisters (your aunts and uncles) have a child, 1st cousin. They have a child 2nd cousin and so forth. Though I heard they say 1st cousin once removed rather than 2nd cousin which seems dumb.

Last edited:
Mom or Dad's brothers or sisters (your aunts and uncles) have a child, 1st cousin. They have a child 2nd cousin and so forth. Though I heard they say 1st cousin once removed rather than 2nd cousin which seems dumb.

so my dad's cousin's kids are my 2nd cousins? or 3rd cousins?

That's to be expected.

I don't know.

The 4 in the Pro's not so much. Though Bill Simpson had a decent supply of INT's, the other 3 did little or nothing.

Too bad Wangler got hurt.

That's a different conversation.

That's a different conversation.

We might as well have it here. otherwise this thread is at kind of a dead end

I win the thread anyway by virtue of going to the high school with the most people on the list (by far I think, too)... proving we are the most pious and Christian of the Oakland County schools - Catholic or Public - and the Lord favored us, and blessed us with superior athletic ability.

We might as well have it here. otherwise this thread is at kind of a dead end

I win the thread anyway by virtue of going to the high school with the most people on the list (by far I think, too)... proving we are the most pious and Christian of the Oakland County schools - Catholic or Public - and the Lord favored us, and blessed us with superior athletic ability.

And which Varsity sport at BR can you lay claim to advancing during your tenure?

And which Varsity sport at BR can you lay claim to advancing during your tenure?

two: track and field, and cc. despite running each for 3-4 years, I was barely varsity my senior year, so I'm not boasting.

The Lord favored our track and cc athletes much less than he favored the thick-necked brutes on the football team. :no:

I only recognize 4 names (Drew Stanton, Kirk Gibson, Dane Fife, & Eric Fisher) and two of them I recognize for a sport other than football.

I only recognize 4 names (Drew Stanton, Kirk Gibson, Dane Fife, & Eric Fisher) and two of them I recognize for a sport other than football.

I recognize many more of the players of the 70's and 80's than the more recent ones. A few of the 90s I saw play once or twice as High Schoolers, because my older son was interested in watching games then.

Last edited:
I remember my 8th grade math & science teacher giving us shit, saying none of us would ever be pro athletes, & so education and academics were our future, not football.

and then providing a sobering lesson in statistics when he said in his 30 years of teaching, he had only taught one (1) future pro athlete, Brian Brennan, and he was better than any of us were at the same age.

I remember my 8th grade math & science teacher giving us shit, saying none of us would ever be pro athletes, & so education and academics were our future, not football.

and then providing a sobering lesson in statistics when he said in his 30 years of teaching, he had only taught one (1) future pro athlete, Brian Brennan, and he was better than any of us were at the same age.

Seems like his own dreams were arrested and he wanted to "spare" you future disappointment. Or disabuse you of any such aspirations altogether, because his were not realized.

Seems like a rather acrimonious position on the face.

Seems like his own dreams were arrested and he wanted to "spare" you future disappointment. Or disabuse you of any such aspirations altogether, because his were not realized.

Seems like a rather acrimonious position on the face.

maybe. he was kind of a legendary figure/curmudgeon at the school, and I think said that in the context of stressing the importance of math and science to getting accepted into college. some smartass mentioned athletic scholarships and that was his response. I took it as a fair point.

Back