Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why not Coke to start the 11th inning

biggunsbob

I am just curious what everyone thinks.. Jim had already gotten a fantastic inning out of Jose in a non-save situation. I just don't understand sending him back out there for the 11th... Hamilton lead off the inning and he bats left. Josh is only 2 for 7 off of Coke with a double and 3 rbi's.. Phil was already warmed up.. Lead-off hitters are always key and Josh is way better verses RHP. Just a very puzzling move from among many last night by jim.

Verses LHP .260/.284/.541/.825
Verses RHP .314/.371/.534/.905

I thought of that until I looked at who was behind Hamilton. I thought they needed to get past Cruz before bringing in Coke.

Cruz is four batters later.. Young and Beltre follow Hamilton and both are not hitting very good right now... Jose had a good 10th.... Jim was playing with fire bring hin out for the 11th....

He had only thrown 8 pitches the inning before, Valverde. You either trust your closer or you don't. Always easier to question after the fact.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]He had only thrown 8 pitches the inning before, Valverde. You either trust your closer or you don't. Always easier to question after the fact.

this. it's so easy to criticize when you know the outcome.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Cruz is four batters later.. Young and Beltre follow Hamilton and both are not hitting very good right now... Jose had a good 10th.... Jim was playing with fire bring hin out for the 11th....

I know where Cruz was. No Coke until after clearing him was my thought at the time. After Cruz, then Coke.

he may have only thrown 8 pitches, but it was his third day in a row pitching. i think bringing him back out was taking a bigger chance than using someone else fresh.

Spockmaster said:
he may have only thrown 8 pitches, but it was his third day in a row pitching. i think bringing him back out was taking a bigger chance than using someone else fresh.

IMO, the only guys they could have used would have been Penny or Perry unless you wanted Schlereth to throw to Hamilton.

Spockmaster said:

Then why pitch him in the 10th? 8 pitches isn't going to exhaust anyone. Would you feel better if Coke gave up 4 runs?

No reason to run him out for the 11th... Jim had other options which i am not say are great but Coke should have come in and you still have Jose today.... After the fact is bullshit.

We all know you are playing with fire in non-save situations with Jose. He already had a great inning in the 10th... Why risk losing him for today.. Coke has shown he can get lefty's out.. Plus Young and bletre were next not exactly lighting it up...

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
Spockmaster said:

Then why pitch him in the 10th? 8 pitches isn't going to exhaust anyone. Would you feel better if Coke gave up 4 runs?

Well now jose can't pitch today...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":mt20npzq]

Well now jose can't pitch today... [/quote:mt20npzq]

If he would have done his job properly he probably would have been available today.....but he didn't! He grooved pitch #9 then it was a dumpster fire from there on.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":0x5hiney]

Well now jose can't pitch today... [/quote:0x5hiney]

So. You don't limit a guy on a possibility that he might be needed today. Maybe it never gets into a save situation today, no harm. It was the move that was the problem, it was his pitching. But too assume Coke would have done better is being short sighted.

Probably because you use Coke then would have to bring in Perry in the same inning. And thats no good.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Probably because you use Coke then would have to bring in Perry in the same inning. And thats no good.

Get out of he top of the inning and see what happens... You may win if still tied..

No I mean Perry would relieve Coke in the same inning. And if Perry enters the game he will give up at least 2 runs.

Funny thing is he did not get Josh out tonight...he looked better verses the RHB tonight.... weird..

Leyland doesn't have faith in anyone but Benoit and Valverde and that's why they are pitching multiple innings and no one else is seeing the field in a close game. He was hoping to get one more out of Valverde before he had to potentially throw gas on the fire with whoever else comes out of the pen. Coke was his only choice tonight and hopefully he gains some confidence from this. We can't only use 2 guys out of the pen for the rest of the way.

Back