Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fire Caldwell

Perrera already said that if they called the face mask, they'd call the PI. Those would have offset.

Offsetting penalties require a replay of downs if I recall correctly. The Seahawks could have scored a TD on next play anyways, but still - it was a bad missed call.

Offsetting penalties require a replay of downs if I recall correctly. The Seahawks could have scored a TD on next play anyways, but still - it was a bad missed call.

Rarely does an offense get called for placing their hand on a defenders facemask...not sure what all the uproar is about. See every running back ever throw a stiff arm. It just doesnt get called. I didnt think it was that obvious that he grabbed the facemask UNTIL the showed the replay in the 3rd quarter in super slow mo of Wilsons head getting turned. Im not surprised one bit the ref missed that in real time. The real travesty was putting wilson on a WR in the frist place. Austin didnt learn apparently because then he put wilson on Baldwin in the second half and they tore us a new one. Austin sucks.

As disappointed as I am in yesterdays game (and the last month of the season), I still don't think id fire Caldwell. By no means am I satisfied with the teams performance, but I am willing to give the man the chance to coach the last year of his contract.

I think (hope) there will be high expectations for this team next season. If they don't achieve one of the following I suspect he will not be extended.

Finish 11-5 or better
Win the NFC North
Win a playoff game

I just cant get over the fact that I believe this team overachieved this season (record wise). There really is not that much talent on either side of the ball, and there were major injuries to key players pretty much the entire season. I am willing to wait and see what Caldwell can do with one more off season of Quinn, and knowing full well that he is coaching for his job the entire year.

Rarely does an offense get called for placing their hand on a defenders facemask...not sure what all the uproar is about. See every running back ever throw a stiff arm. It just doesnt get called. I didnt think it was that obvious that he grabbed the facemask UNTIL the showed the replay in the 3rd quarter in super slow mo of Wilsons head getting turned. Im not surprised one bit the ref missed that in real time. The real travesty was putting wilson on a WR in the frist place. Austin didnt learn apparently because then he put wilson on Baldwin in the second half and they tore us a new one. Austin sucks.

Then you're fucking blind, dude lol. Super slo mo? Stfu. He almost got his head ripped off. It was a terrible no call. And comparing it to a RB giving out a stiff arm shows your football IQ lol

Last edited:
Refs are bad. I suspect we all agree on that. Doesn't change the outcome so who gives a shit.

Then you're fucking blind, dude lol. Super slo mo? Stfu. He almost got his head ripped off. It was a terrible no call. And comparing it to a RB giving out a stiff arm shows your football IQ lol
you make no sense caveman.

No one talked about the facemask in real time.....just how good of a catch it was. Not a single person. Until they showed that replay in the 2nd half. So everyone in the world missed it...including the refs. And youre going to freak out about it? I got an idea.....Wilson dont faceguard and go up and pick the fucking pass off.....it was underthrown by a mile. Terrible throw that should have been picked.....but we have no talent in the backfield and they dont make plays.

eh - I could tell it was a face mask from the live play, but its whatever. Bad calls happen every game, but it really does seem like critical ones happen against the lions damn near every important game. I am not saying its a conspiracy against the Lions, but its def frustrating.

As for Austin - ya he didn't have a very good last two weeks of the season. The fact that the defense didn't force a single TO in the last 5 games of the season is inexcusable. However, he was limited, the LB core a freaking joke. That needs to be addressed in a big way this off season. Levy had 2 tackles yesterday, Whitehead had 3. That's unacceptable.

When you get gashed for 100+ yards the first half, you start sending safeties into the gaps to stop the rush, and leave your DB's out on an island. It is impossible to have a 'good matchup' on every play. Austin is limited to using the bodies he has at his disposal.

That being said - if they fire Austin and/or Cooter, so be it. I dont think this team would be any good with or without them. They need to upgrade the talent IMO. Thats by far the biggest problem in my eyes

No one talked about the facemask in real time.....just how good of a catch it was. Not a single person. Until they showed that replay in the 2nd half. So everyone in the world missed it...including the refs. And youre going to freak out about it? I got an idea.....Wilson dont faceguard and go up and pick the fucking pass off.....it was underthrown by a mile. Terrible throw that should have been picked.....but we have no talent in the backfield and they dont make plays.

Lmfao......you're such an idiot.

eh - I could tell it was a face mask from the live play, but its whatever. Bad calls happen every game, but it really does seem like critical ones happen against the lions damn near every important game. I am not saying its a conspiracy against the Lions, but its def frustrating.

As for Austin - ya he didn't have a very good last two weeks of the season. The fact that the defense didn't force a single TO in the last 5 games of the season is inexcusable. However, he was limited, the LB core a freaking joke. That needs to be addressed in a big way this off season. Levy had 2 tackles yesterday, Whitehead had 3. That's unacceptable.

When you get gashed for 100+ yards the first half, you start sending safeties into the gaps to stop the rush, and leave your DB's out on an island. It is impossible to have a 'good matchup' on every play. Austin is limited to using the bodies he has at his disposal.

That being said - if they fire Austin and/or Cooter, so be it. I dont think this team would be any good with or without them. They need to upgrade the talent IMO. Thats by far the biggest problem in my eyes

k a good match up....and fucking retarded ones....are 2 different things. Wilson running 45 yards down the fied with Baldwin is a fucking joke. Their #1 WR....srsly? lol.

k a good match up....and fucking retarded ones....are 2 different things. Wilson running 45 yards down the fied with Baldwin is a fucking joke. Their #1 WR....srsly? lol.

Baldwin had to make a great catch. There were like 4 miracle catches by Seahawks while lions dropped 5 balls

Not sure why it has taken so long to bring this thread back but the whole coaching staff needs to go.

Maybe the special team coordinator and secondary coach can stay but it is time to clean house.

I wouldn't hate it if Austin stayed, but wouldn't mind seeing him go either. There is just no excuse for how poorly this is prepared every week. Crawling out of a hole every fucking week. Caldwell and Cooter are a disgrace to coaching.

As much as I think Austin has potential and does good things, I want our next coach to fully implement what he wants. Austin could use a reboot anyways I think. If he can go somewhere else and have similiar success, he could very well get that elusive head coaching gig somewhere.

Austin, no thank you. He hasn't got a sniff at a HC job. I don't want his first HC gig to be with the Lions. The Lions defense stinks not sure why anyone would want Austin..

25th in points, 27th in yards..

Last edited:
Austin, no thank you. He hasn't got a sniff at a HC job. I don't want his first HC gig to be with the Lions. The Lions defense stinks not sure why anyone would want Austin..

25th in points, 27th in yards..

Despite getting what will probably be career seasons from Zettle and Hyder, the dude had no pass rush to work with. I think things could've been much worse. But I also don't want his first HC job to be here. Nothing in house, let Quinn go find what he wants.

Despite getting what will probably be career seasons from Zettle and Hyder, the dude had no pass rush to work with. I think things could've been much worse. But I also don't want his first HC job to be here. Nothing in house, let Quinn go find what he wants.

I know there's other things in getting a HC gig that I might not be aware of but regardless of talent there is only so much we can go on, numbers. And it says he didn't get the job done.

I know there's other things in getting a HC gig that I might not be aware of but regardless of talent there is only so much we can go on, numbers. And it says he didn't get the job done.

He certainly didn't.

Back