Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jordan Zimmerman

I like him, just don't give him #1 money because he is a #2.

What would be the difference, salary-wise? I agree that he's not truly a #1. Outside of 2014, he's been a quality starter but not all that close to the perennial All-Star consideration he tends to generate.

Of course, it's not like Detroit has a surefire #1 ahead of him either. Verlander looked a lot better in the second half last year, but his year as a whole wasn't great. Zimmerman could pretty easily argue that he'll be the best pitcher in the rotation and therefore deserves #1 money.

Last edited:
Well, we needed pitching. Not really a fan of his national league stats, but he's a solid #2 or #3 in the AL.

Wow, partially fixed the rotation and bullpen before the wintermeetings even started. The tigers are now in good position to make a trade for a full time LF or CF. Find one more 2-3 type pitcher, and the Tigers are back to being playoff contenders.

Tigers could also look at signing Dexter Fowler for a 4 year 50-60 million deal. A solid switch hitter that could play lf or cf.

Great pickup for your boys. Zimmerman is a solid pitcher, and $110Mm in today's MLB is a very reasonable contract for a front-end starter.

$22Mm a year. Just think, Ian Kennedy got $14Mm last season. If Kennedy is worth 14, Zimmerman is worth 25, so you guys got him on a steal.

The years are reasonable. No 7-8 year deal thing.

Yeah, that's a key IMO too. Zimmerman has thrown a lot of innings, but someone you want to sign for more than 4 or 5 seasons. Team is addressing their needs like they intend to contend.

Everyone is getting more money per year than even just a couple of years ago. This is where the $$ is increasing and we are thinking over pay. I was reading something that WAR is now about $8Million per War. So a 3 War pitcher is worth $25 Million.

I am certain that the $189 Million ceiling before the luxury tax is due/bound to go up in the next couple of years. I would be surprised if it doesn't.

Last edited:
Roughly $146 Mil committed to just 8 players in 2016 (@$132 Mil committed in 2017 to just 5 players). There is at least an additional $15-20 Mil for the 6 players that are arbitration eligible, and maybe just 5. That leaves at least 11-12 players to round out the team. At league minimum, that is another $6-10 Mil of so if they are all first few year players. Odds are, they sign or trade for 2-3 veterans. Prediction would be Opening Day Payroll of $176 Mil at the low end. At this rate, the will be on the verge of Luxury Tax in 2016 and certainly in 2017. Keep in mind that Maybin's salary+ applies to the Luxury Tax, not just the $5.5 Mil.

While I do believe Zimmerman is a good value (he stats out as a #1 over the last 3 years), I am not sure his contract helps them get back to the World Series. They still have black holes in LF, CF, 3B and C. They still need at least 1 more starter, not counting what they have already. And there is a still the bullpen.

And while they didn't lose a 1st round pick, they still lost a pick. Something they need to compete in 5 years.

Zimmerman, Maybin and Rodriguez do not make this team better than the team that started 2015.

And for the record, I am not against Zimmerman. He is a good value. Just not sure he is a luxury that this team can have.

I like the deal but I agree that this team is not as good as the one that started last year. Barring injury we shouldn't finish in last and probably contend. I don't think this is a playoff team and I fear all other holes will not be filled. I doubt very seriously they do anything about C or 3B. I don't think they add anymore offense. I agree with those who think we should deal JD even though I like him. That's the only intelligent way to fill holes in the bullpen and offense. His stock will never be higher and a team like the Yankees would hopefully overpay for him.

Tigers are not done. Kinsler could be traded to free up space.

It would make no sense in trading Kinsler, unless you got a 2B back in the deal. He is just now getting to the part in his contract where he would have value. $14 Mil in 2016, $11 Mil in 2017 and $10 Mil in 2018 (or $5 Mil buyout).

Back