Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jordan Zimmerman

Yeah i agree. My biggest concern is will he be another Sanchez and get hurt all the time..

Wow man, using those numbers and KC's $8mm per WAR figure, that would make Clayton Kershaw a $58,000,000 a year pitcher, rounding down.

WAR is a horrible stat for a starting pitcher. Wins for a starter is greatly controlled by run support and to a lesser degree, the bull pen. In general, given the same run support and same bull pen support, the difference between the elite starters and replacement cannot be any more than 3-4 wins over the course of a season. Kershaw is certainly not 2 wins a season better than Greinke.

A starting pitcher, pitching in a pitcher's friendly home park and pitcher friendly division. is probably going to have a skewed WAR. Add to the fact that WAR is a counting stat and not a rate state.

WAR is a horrible stat for a starting pitcher. Wins for a starter is greatly controlled by run support and to a lesser degree, the bull pen. In general, given the same run support and same bull pen support, the difference between the elite starters and replacement cannot be any more than 3-4 wins over the course of a season. Kershaw is certainly not 2 wins a season better than Greinke.

A starting pitcher, pitching in a pitcher's friendly home park and pitcher friendly division. is probably going to have a skewed WAR. Add to the fact that WAR is a counting stat and not a rate state.

100% Agree.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reports-zimmermann-agrees-deal-tigers-033435896--mlb.html

2016 = $18 Mil (no trade)

2017 = $18 Mil (no trade)

2018 = $24 Mil (no trade)

2019 = $25 Mil (trade to just 10 teams)

2020 = $25 Mil (trade to just 10 teams)

I am not liking the no trade clause.

As part of the deal, Zimmermann would earn $500,000 for winning the Cy Young Award, $200,000 for finishing second and $100,000 for third, and he has the same provisions for the MLV Award. He would get $100,000 apiece for becoming an All-Star and winning a Gold Glove. He would earn $200,000 if he is World Series MVP and $150,000 if he is League Championship Series MVP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reports-zimmermann-agrees-deal-tigers-033435896--mlb.html

2016 = $18 Mil (no trade)

2017 = $18 Mil (no trade)

2018 = $24 Mil (no trade)

2019 = $25 Mil (trade to just 10 teams)

2020 = $25 Mil (trade to just 10 teams)

I am not liking the no trade clause.

As part of the deal, Zimmermann would earn $500,000 for winning the Cy Young Award, $200,000 for finishing second and $100,000 for third, and he has the same provisions for the MLV Award. He would get $100,000 apiece for becoming an All-Star and winning a Gold Glove. He would earn $200,000 if he is World Series MVP and $150,000 if he is League Championship Series MVP.

At least it's not a no trade for all 5 years.

McCann "horrible" agianst RHP?

His pitch calling was bad last season, very bad, much worse than ALex. That stat is kind of a big deal.. He's horrible vs RHP. He should be a platoon at best.. Since his hitting against RHP wasn't any better tha Avila there is no way he should be batting against RHP especially since his catching prowess is much worse.

Edit: the thought that some feel, at 25, he should have already mastered those.

His pitch calling: I'm not asking for proof, but what is the stat for that? Cause I think the problem wasn't him as much as it was he dealt with a bunch of pitchers pitching badly. Although, I wouldn't say he calls a great game, but he calls a pretty good game, I mean JV almost got a No-No with McCann calling the game. Rookie catchers tend to have room to grow on that front.
Ditto pitch framing, it is something he'll get better at, rookies tend to be weak at this.
As far as his splits last year he was .247/.277/.332/.609 vs RHP. Those aren't "horrible" numbers, Avila's .203/.355/.311/.666 -- I think that I'd batt McCann over Avila, that OBP for Avila is nice, but I'll take the guy with the better average than the guy who walks a lot.
But against LHP McCann last year was lethal: .320/.359/.557/.916 vs Avila's .143/.250/.143/.393.
Put them together and you get the respectable numbers of .264/.297/.387/.683 vs the pathetic .191/.339/.287/.626.

McCann beats Avila in every way except MAYBE versus RHP, and that is close.
The statement that McCann should never hit against RHP is hyperbole.
First, he is a relatively young talent, 25, but a rookie. The idea that he should be fully developed as a hitter is simply not reflective of the typical MLB hitter's development.

His pitch calling: I'm not asking for proof, but what is the stat for that? Cause I think the problem wasn't him as much as it was he dealt with a bunch of pitchers pitching badly. Although, I wouldn't say he calls a great game, but he calls a pretty good game, I mean JV almost got a No-No with McCann calling the game. Rookie catchers tend to have room to grow on that front.
Ditto pitch framing, it is something he'll get better at, rookies tend to be weak at this.
As far as his splits last year he was .247/.277/.332/.609 vs RHP. Those aren't "horrible" numbers, Avila's .203/.355/.311/.666 -- I think that I'd batt McCann over Avila, that OBP for Avila is nice, but I'll take the guy with the better average than the guy who walks a lot.
But against LHP McCann last year was lethal: .320/.359/.557/.916 vs Avila's .143/.250/.143/.393.
Put them together and you get the respectable numbers of .264/.297/.387/.683 vs the pathetic .191/.339/.287/.626.

McCann beats Avila in every way except MAYBE versus RHP, and that is close.
The statement that McCann should never hit against RHP is hyperbole.
First, he is a relatively young talent, 25, but a rookie. The idea that he should be fully developed as a hitter is simply not reflective of the typical MLB hitter's development.

The only proof I'd really point to, and Reb has posted it here somewhere, is the P's stats, just about all of them - they pitch better, many cases much better when Avila is behind the plate compared to McCann. So take it fwiw.

So if the tigers will yet be attempting to sign one more starter whom would be reasonable? I wouldn't mind kazmir or Chen..

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

I get that he's 'young' but that a whole lot of improvement that you're asking of the 'kid'.

I just get the feeling that people have so much hate towards Avila that the corpse of Yogi Berra would've been thought of as better replacement.

Btw, that link is cool SGG. I never seen that website. Great info.

Regarding what Zim said I think it was good to after him for the same reason. Instead of worrying about who you might get in Jan., Feb. - get a guy early in FA.

At least it's not a no trade for all 5 years.

If they stink and need to rebuild, it makes it difficult. Also, it will be hard to cut bait if he stinks. A few teams won't take on a "no trade clause" player.

Back