Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Steelers loss

Stafford is way way way way more good than bad. He's a good player and the Lions are lucky to have him.

he is good but probably still a middle of the road NFL QB. I have always thought that great QBs make average WRs look good. I think guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Manning do that. I think for once a WR is making a QB look better than he is....Calvin Johnson is making Stafford look much better than he acutally is.

Never said the contrary but when your starting QB, in a winnable game, goes out and completes a pass 41% of the time - something needs to change. Stafford needs to be better.

Hopefully the weather changes to indoors. How did Brady do in the rain in Cincy and New York. Get back to me on that one.

Lions Outdoor History in the Schwartz Era

2009: 0-6
10/4: Chicago, L 48-24, 52f Mostly Cloudy
10/18: Green Bay, L 26-0, 43f Fair
11/8: Seattle, L 32-20, 50f Overcast
12/6: Cincinnati, L 23-13, 33f Fair
12/13: Baltimore, L 48-3, 32f Light Rain
12/27: San Francisco, L 20-6, 54f Mostly Cloudy

2010: 2-4
9/12: Chicago, L 19-14, 73f Fair
10/3: Green Bay, L 28-26, 52f A Few Clouds
10/17: NY Giants, L 28-20, 63f Fair
11/14: Buffalo, L 14-12, 58f Mostly Cloudy
12/19: Tampa Bay, W 23-20, 54f Overcast
12/26: Miami, W 34-27, 66f Fair and Breezy

2011: 3-2
9/11: Tampa Bay, W 27-20, 88f Partly Cloudy
10/30: Denver, W 45-10, 59f A Few Clouds
11/13: Chicago, L 37-13, 71f Mostly Cloudy
12/18: Oakland, W 28-27, 51f Mostly Cloudy
1/1: Green Bay, L 45-41, 30f Overcast

2012: 2-4
9/16: San Francisco, L 27-19, 62f Fair
9/23: Tennessee, L 44-41 OT, 68f A Few Clouds
10/14: Philadelphia, W 26-23 OT, 73f Mostly Cloudy
10/22: Chicago, L 13-7, 66f Overcast
11/4: Jacksonville, W 31-14, 81f Fair
12/9: Green Bay, L 27-20, 32f Light Snow Fog/Mist

2013: 3-2
9/22: Washington, W 27-20, 71f Overcast
10/6: Green Bay, L 22-9, 61f Fair
10/13: Cleveland, W 31-17, 67f Overcast
11/10: Chicago, W 21-19, 47f A Few Clouds
11/17: Pittsburgh, L 37-27, 59f Light Rain

Total: 10-18

Don't know how much it means, obviously there are other factors than just the weather. But I'll leave this out there, since I looked it up anyway.

Source: http://nflweather.com/searches/2765
Outdoor Records are from ESPNs expanded standings

That 97 yard drive by Pittsburgh. Fucking garbage. Everything else pales in comparison to that. That was embarrassing.

That was bad.

The other thing that made no sense was Bell was averaging over 5YPC but only ran it 9 times while Bush carried it 12 times (2.6) & Staff threw it 46 times? In the rain.

The whole game plan sucked and sucked bad.

Hopefully the weather changes to indoors. How did Brady do in the rain in Cincy and New York. Get back to me on that one.

Who cares, the more relevant question is how did Roethlisberger do?

he is good but probably still a middle of the road NFL QB. I have always thought that great QBs make average WRs look good. I think guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Manning do that. I think for once a WR is making a QB look better than he is....Calvin Johnson is making Stafford look much better than he acutally is.

IMO, he's regressed. Stafford just seemed like he was much better in 2011 than the past year and a half. Not just my numbers or who his WR are or who was injured or not. Just seems like he's not throwing the ball as well as he used too..

Who cares, the more relevant question is how did Roethlisberger do?

Threw more short passes and got ridiculous YAC from Brown, Miller and Bell. A nice 13 points from short fields too. Plus the weather changes. Steelers early scores was better weather.

Last edited:
Threw more short passes and got ridiculous YAC from Brown, Miller and Bell. A nice 13 points from short fields too. Plus the weather changes. Steelers early scores was better weather.

I don't buy that at all..and who cares about short fields, I didn't realize a short field make completing passes easier.

How about that 97 yard drive, it was raining pretty damn good at that time.

Short passes....
Let see...
One over throw to Reggie Bush that would have bee a TD.. Plus many other over throws.
Matt was beyond bad yesterday.
Play calling from Jimmy to Gunther to Scott L. was beyond putrid yesterday...
I guess we can give Scott L kind of a pass for the nice second Quarter up to the first and goal
with .17 seconds left... But outside a 10-12 minute in the second he was awful.

I could care less if we have bad Blitzer's.. You have to try every now and then and the
third and 9 at their own 3 yard line was the perfect spot to blitz pittsburgh.
What is the worst that could happen .. A first down? Oh wait it did....
MADDENING how Gunther still has a job.

The Lions should be at the worst 8-2 right now but we are not...
It really is frustrating.

Last edited:
I agree with the blitzing part. You need to switch it up now and then. Make the other team think we might blitz. It makes it so much easier for them knowing we ain't coming.

Good. We have the best players in the league, put together by the best GM in the league and led by one of the most brilliant coaches in the league.

It was totally unlucky that we decided not to throw to the best WR in the league the entire second half. More bad luck that Big ben kept throwing touchdown passes to whomever some guy names carey was not covering. Awful luck that Stafford went 0/10 in the fourth to bring his total to like 19/46 or something like that. Even worse luck that none of our WRs can catch the ball not named CJ.

All in all it was a great performance. Whenever you can decide to play 1 quarter out of 4 youre obviously doing something right.

Good job lions. No matter who we get in the playoffs...seattle, san fran, NO, CAR...it wont matter cause we clearly are the best division leader in the league.

I also don't understand why Scott L did not try and throw short either more.. Even with the overthrows just keep at it till Matt starts hitting guys.. Nate B. can't get back any sooner.. We need him...He is not great but he is decent.

All I'm saying is that Stafford didn't lose this game. Did he have a bad game? Yes. But he's also completing more passes this year than he ever has. I'm not throwing away the only good QB we've had in decades just because of one particularly bad game this year.

The majority of the blame should be on coaches and defense. There is literally no excuse for giving up 37 points to the Steelers this year, even with a few short fields. They average just 19 point per game, and they have a hard time protecting their QB. The fact that we were completely shutting down their run game, but completely destroyed by their pass game tells me the D-line was at least doing an adequate job. But the sheer amount of wide open WRs tells me our gameplan was atrocious. If they were completing a bunch of contested throws, that's on the DBs. But consistently letting Miller and Brown free 10-15 years above the line of scrimmage is bad coaching. If the coaches know those guys are going to be jumping right into the soft part of our zone for easy catches, adjust your coverage, don't keep falling into the exact same problems over and over like we did.

We're not paying Stafford money to not lose the games, we are paying him to Win the game. We invested a lot of money on the offensive side, that is where we are suppose to win. He's completing 59.2% of his passes his career average is 59.7%. So he is not playing above and beyond this season.

He is struggling on passes down the field.

52 for 118 (44%) on throws 11+ yards down the field. Below are a few random guys I selected for comparison.

Philip Rivers 67 of 155 (59%)
Peyton Manning 59 of 112 (53%)
Jay Cutler 49 of 97 (51%)
Russel Wilson 45 of 88 (51%)
Drew Brees 73 of 133 (55%)
Aaron Rodgers 42 of 77 (53%)

Not sure why so many people are trying to deflect blame off of Stafford, but he did not do enough to help us win the game. Now anyone who thinks we need to get rid of him is either being way to emotional or does not know football, but he needs to play better, simple as that.

You guys suck. This thread is supposed to be an homage to a very special poster.:no:

Very disappointing.

Good. We have the best players in the league, put together by the best GM in the league and led by one of the most brilliant coaches in the league.

It was totally unlucky that we decided not to throw to the best WR in the league the entire second half. More bad luck that Big ben kept throwing touchdown passes to whomever some guy names carey was not covering. Awful luck that Stafford went 0/10 in the fourth to bring his total to like 19/46 or something like that. Even worse luck that none of our WRs can catch the ball not named CJ.

All in all it was a great performance. Whenever you can decide to play 1 quarter out of 4 youre obviously doing something right.

Good job lions. No matter who we get in the playoffs...seattle, san fran, NO, CAR...it wont matter cause we clearly are the best division leader in the league.

>:D>:D

All I'm saying is that Stafford didn't lose this game. Did he have a bad game? Yes. But he's also completing more passes this year than he ever has. I'm not throwing away the only good QB we've had in decades just because of one particularly bad game this year.

The majority of the blame should be on coaches and defense. There is literally no excuse for giving up 37 points to the Steelers this year, even with a few short fields. They average just 19 point per game, and they have a hard time protecting their QB. The fact that we were completely shutting down their run game, but completely destroyed by their pass game tells me the D-line was at least doing an adequate job. But the sheer amount of wide open WRs tells me our gameplan was atrocious. If they were completing a bunch of contested throws, that's on the DBs. But consistently letting Miller and Brown free 10-15 years above the line of scrimmage is bad coaching. If the coaches know those guys are going to be jumping right into the soft part of our zone for easy catches, adjust your coverage, don't keep falling into the exact same problems over and over like we did.

What? He's at 59.2%. And this is not about disregarding Stafford but he played poorly and no he didn't lose the game. But he was one of many..

Last edited:
Back