Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

20-10 1st downs 386-230 in yards

Your sorry ass excuse making coach who blew the game himself by not calling the right protection

You mean the protection of not making a bad snap, catching the bad snap regardless or just falling on the ball when that didn't happen?

Pretty sure Harbaugh expected all those protections to be in
place.

Last edited:
You mean the protection of not making a bad snap, catching the bad snap regardless or just falling on the ball when that didn't happen?

Pretty sure Harbaugh expected all those protections to be in
place.

Pretty sure he's talking about the guys that released and didn't hold blocks. Even if he fielded the snap cleanly, I think we easily get to it. Hell, like 6 guys ran straight through to the punter.

How long has your punter been playing football? Isn't he brand new to the game? I would've thought that Harbaugh would have went over all the potential scenarios with him before the punt. Not so sure that happened.

Pretty sure he's talking about the guys that released and didn't hold blocks. Even if he fielded the snap cleanly, I think we easily get to it. Hell, like 6 guys ran straight through to the punter.

How long has your punter been playing football? Isn't he brand new to the game? I would've thought that Harbaugh would have went over all the potential scenarios with him before the punt. Not so sure that happened.

So you're saying johnny is claiming that Harbaugh blew the game by not preparing to prevent a blocked punt for a punt that was not only not blocked but not even punted?

That is quite a line of reasoning.

O'Neill's previous sport has given him abilities most punters lack but he wasn't ready to handle what happened. I don't know if he was coached what to do but just choked or what.

I don't know much about Aussie football but it makes sense that diving on the ball if you drop it isn't what you do.

would he have done a rugby style kick? those are generally slow developing, maybe he rushed, who knows? that UM mistake accounted for 6 of our 27 points. how about the other 21? the game was a hell of a lot more than that one play

So you're saying johnny is claiming that Harbaugh blew the game by not preparing to prevent a blocked punt for a punt that was not only not blocked but not even punted?

That is quite a line of reasoning.

O'Neill's previous sport has given him abilities most punters lack but he wasn't ready to handle what happened. I don't know if he was coached what to do but just choked or what.

I don't know much about Aussie football but it makes sense that diving on the ball if you drop it isn't what you do.

Do you agree with releasing 4 guys from protection to cover a punt that we had nobody back for? It makes absolutely zero sense.

O
Do you agree with releasing 4 guys from protection to cover a punt that we had nobody back for? It makes absolutely zero sense.

Was nobody really back for it?

I didn't hear anyone in booth saying and it makes sense they would have picked this up on this.

I pulled the play up on YouTube and counted nine Spartans on the line of scrimmage - where are the other two?

And with the punter's line drive style the clock
just runs out if he gets it off with no one back there.

Last edited:
would he have done a rugby style kick? those are generally slow developing, maybe he rushed, who knows? that UM mistake accounted for 6 of our 27 points. how about the other 21? the game was a hell of a lot more than that one play

Well some Spartans like johnny want it both ways - the game was a lot more than that one play but except Harbaugh blew the game on that one play though.

Last edited:
Bullshit you are a idiot ... he never should have been kicked out an BTW Michigan is winning because of thier defense not with a qb that can't throw over 25 yards ... only idiot fans like you think taking out a teams leading tackler doess not make a difference. . You could start a high School kid in the secondary and Ridock still could hit a wide open guy.. congrats on your luck sack win no matter how you think it was pure luck..

let me ask you this Bob - you were an oddsmaker so hypothetically speaking assume Bolden was suspended the day before the game. how much do you think the line would have moved? you know rlthe answer is ZERO. we lost Gholston before the wisco game - line didn't budge. We lost Bullough, easily the most important player on our defense, leading tackler, QB of the D, etc etc a couple days before the Rose Bowl. what happened to the line - nothing.

do oddmakers putting millions of house money on the line not know what they're doing? if you think bolden is worth 1 point let alone 9 to 12.5 pts you're out of your mind.

O

Was nobody really back for it?

I didn't hear anyone in booth saying and it makes sense they would have picked this up on this.

I pulled the play up on YouTube and counted nine Spartans on the line of scrimmage - where are the other two?

And with the punter's line drive style the clock
just runs out if he gets it off with no one back there.

dantonio says it a few times in his on-field post game. I just watched the play from game on my DVR. the blimp shot shows nobody back for MSU, the announcer mentions that fact twice and I counted 11 on the line. if the punter gets the kick off, game over. victory for uofm.

Last edited:
dantonio says it a few times in his on-field post game. I just watched the play from game on my DVR. the blimp shot shows nobody back for MSU, the announcer mentions that fact twice and I counted 11 on the line. if the punter gets the kick off, game over. victory for uofm.

Okay.

Pretty gutsy all or nothing call by Dantonio then.

What was posted on YouTube was from a pretty far distance, so maybe I just couldn't distinguish the number of rushers there were (my eyesight isn't as good as it was once).

Don't know if Michigan had a TO at the time; if not, just taking a delay of game (on the opponent's side of the field) to regroup would have been better (or at least it couldn't have been worse).

Yes, no one was back to receive and MSU brought 11 guys. I agree there were several UM guys who released too early, but whether the punt would have been blocked I'm not sure.

Watching the guy at the top of the screen, they might have actually been trying to pass to him. He released only a couple yards and then turns like he is expecting the ball to be thrown to him. Perhaps this played a part in punter not handling the snap well. It was low, but still hit him in the hands. If he was thinking about a throw, maybe that played into it.

That isn't to say Harbaugh called for a throw. Punter had called a fake in previous game without coach calling for the fake. I'm solely basing this off of behavior of gunner who sure looked more like a receiver running a route.

All speculation obviously, since no mention of a pass has come forth. Just an odd way for a gunner to behave. If he was not a receiver, then I don't know why he was split out there.

Well ONeill is described as being a very good athlete (ya think?) so maybe there was a play that was to be run and they didn't execute on the snap.

Bad snap but field able; bad decision not to fall on the ball when unfielded.

If he was just gonna punt no knowing what would have happened with a clean snap.

Probably a game winning punt to no one.

Although if a punt had been planned, stopping the clock - even
if it had meant taking a delay of game penalty - might have been the best idea

Okay.

Pretty gutsy all or nothing call by Dantonio then.

What was posted on YouTube was from a pretty far distance, so maybe I just couldn't distinguish the number of rushers there were (my eyesight isn't as good as it was once).

Don't know if Michigan had a TO at the time; if not, just taking a delay of game (on the opponent's side of the field) to regroup would have been better (or at least it couldn't have been worse).

Hard to count when they're all bunched up. I had to pause it a couple times to try to get the best picture. It was gutsy but I don't think Dantonio had much of a choice at that point.

Hard to count when they're all bunched up. I had to pause it a couple times to try to get the best picture. It was gutsy but I don't think Dantonio had much of a choice at that point.

I totally agree, it's not like we have a Keyshawn Martin type return man, not sure if it's true but I heard earlier last week that we have had 1 punt return this season for 1 yard, if that's true that is just horrid. I'll take my chances trying to block the punt.

I totally agree, it's not like we have a Keyshawn Martin type return man, not sure if it's true but I heard earlier last week that we have had 1 punt return this season for 1 yard, if that's true that is just horrid. I'll take my chances trying to block the punt.

In 20 years of watching MSU football this is the most putrid special teams ive seen. Besides a few calhoun plays and the last play on saturday they have been beyond bad. Even when we had a healthy squad Western picked us apart for 140 yards 2 returns and we cant gain a yard on a return. Thats going to cost us a game or 2 if things dont improve. The other teams are constantly starting with great field position.

Last edited:
In 20 years of watching MSU football this is the most putrid special teams ive seen. Besides a few calhoun plays and the last play on saturday they have been beyond bad. Even when we had a healthy squad Western picked us apart for 140 yards 2 returns and we cant gain a yard on a return. Thats going to cost us a game or 2 if things dont improve. The other teams are constantly starting with great field position.

does anyone have any info on Hartbarger? he punted once on saturday, was he injured or benched? he didn't have a good game vs rutgers with one shank that was his fault but he's been at least acceptable all year

does anyone have any info on Hartbarger? he punted once on saturday, was he injured or benched? he didn't have a good game vs rutgers with one shank that was his fault but he's been at least acceptable all year

It was reported last week that he got hurt, but I think he could have played all game on Saturday, Coach D just felt more comfortable with O'Conner fielding the snaps in that environment.

It was reported last week that he got hurt, but I think he could have played all game on Saturday, Coach D just felt more comfortable with O'Conner fielding the snaps in that environment.

maybe it had something to with the threat of a fake? who knows? i just think overall our field position is generally better with Hartbarger but we don't get to watch practices

Only Michigan fans would push the narrative that they outplayed us for 59:50.

Listen, your special teams was much better than ours and you had made a couple key stops and we had left several plays on the field. If UM would have won they would have deserved it, but to claim they controlled the game and outplayed MSU is laughable.

Michigan went 3 and out in 7 out of their 12 possessions. Michigan could not run the ball (neither could MSU) and Most of Michigan's passing yards came on lame duck fly balls thrown by old Noodle Arm Rudock where our true freshmen safeties just didn't get turned around. MSU controlled play and had outplayed Michigan, but it wasn't going to be enough because of a key drop by Kings and a blown blocking assignment by our sophomore center.

The better team won.

Only Michigan fans would push the narrative that they outplayed us for 59:50.

Listen, your special teams was much better than ours and you had made a couple key stops and we had left several plays on the field. If UM would have won they would have deserved it, but to claim they controlled the game and outplayed MSU is laughable.

Michigan went 3 and out in 7 out of their 12 possessions. Michigan could not run the ball (neither could MSU) and Most of Michigan's passing yards came on lame duck fly balls thrown by old Noodle Arm Rudock where our true freshmen safeties just didn't get turned around. MSU controlled play and had outplayed Michigan, but it wasn't going to be enough because of a key drop by Kings and a blown blocking assignment by our sophomore center.

The better team won.

I'd say they outplayed us up until the point they had a 9pt lead. after that, we had a big play for a touchdown, forced a punt, then we moved the ball but turned it over on downs, forced them into a monumental 3 and out, and they fumbled a snap and the rest is history. they might want to expand that 10 second argument

Back