Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 Playoffs - Astros electronic sign stealing - Now Astros fire Luhnow and Hinch

I wouldn't be. If you're a sure hall of fame player you're not getting 100% of the vote. Happened once and only recently. If Jeter played for Detroit he'd have gotten less. Just because he's a Yankee.

Better players than Jeter haven't gotten 100% of the vote.

I wouldn't be. If you're a sure hall of fame player you're not getting 100% of the vote. Happened once and only recently. If Jeter played for Detroit he'd have gotten less. Just because he's a Yankee.

Better players than Jeter haven't gotten 100% of the vote.

I wish I had explained my views better ..because I understand what you are saying and totally agree.

It is somewhat difficult to believe that with all the truly great players throughout MLB history that a relief pitcher, Mariano Rivera, is the only player to ever be voted in unanimously.

Among the HoF eligibles 2021 through 2024 .. the only other player who may have a chance to be voted unanimously might be Ichiro. However, I certainly would not hold my breath for that.

Weird, for Rivera he got 425 out of 425 votes. But Jeter was 396 of 397. So what happened to the rest of the voters.

IMO the next which is a long way off could be either Pujols, Cabrera (though not likely for either) or Mike Trout (more likely).

Last edited:
Weird, for Rivera he got 425 out of 425 votes. But Jeter was 396 of 397. So what happened to the rest of the voters.

Only guessing .. but maybe not all eligible voters actually turn in their ballots every year?

Only guessing .. but maybe not all eligible voters actually turn in their ballots every year?

I thought that would count as a 0 vote. So instead of 396 of 397 it would be 396-425. Apparently not but it should work that way. In any event that many voters, imo, is too many.

IMO the next which is a long way off could be either Pujols, Cabrera (though not likely for either) or Mike Trout (more likely).

If Trout stays on this trajectory he should be the one. Pujols and Miggy, neither are the players that Trout is.

When they were Trouts age they were. At least offensively.

led the league up to up to and including age 27 seasons

Trout OBP 4x, OPS 4x, SLG 3x OPS+ 6x
Albert OPB 0x, OPS 1x, SLG 1x, OPS+ 1x
Miggy OBP 1x, OPS 0x, SLG 0x, OPS+ 1x

Trout has 3 MVPs compared to Pujols having 1 at that age and Miggy none.

And like you said, include defense and Trout is the better player at this point in their careers.

Trout could fall off...you never know. But up to this point in his career, he is the best baseball player I have ever seen.

And like you said, include defense and Trout is the better player at this point in their careers.

Trout could fall off...you never know. But up to this point in his career, he is the best baseball player I have ever seen.
MVP's don't mean much it depends on who the competition is. Stats say its pretty even at the age.

And to clarify just my opinion. I could be wrong and possibly I am. That's the great thing about baseball.

MVP's don't mean much it depends on who the competition is. Stats say its pretty even at the age.

The stats say Trout was better.

I think the MVP is significant. It says you were the best player in your league. Here are Trout's MVP finishes in his first 8 years in the league.

4 (only played in 114 games due to injury)

Ages 21-27

M. Trout 62.2 WAR 176 wRC+ .424 wOBA 1.016 OPS

A. Pujols 53.5 WAR 166 wRC+ .432 wOBA 1.040 OPS

A. Kaline 38.8 WAR 133 wRC+ .386 wOBA .882 OPS

M. Cabrera 32.5 WAR 145 wRC+ .400 wOBA .950 OPS

A. Trammell 27.7 WAR 110 wRC+ .340 wOBA .756 OPS

D. Jeter 27.3 WAR 127 wRC+ .379 wOBA .862 OPS

L. Whitaker 26.5 WAR 109 wRC+ .339 wOBA .749 OPS

Last edited:
The stats say Trout was better.

I think the MVP is significant. It says you were the best player in your league. Here are Trout's MVP finishes in his first 8 years in the league.

4 (only played in 114 games due to injury)

Sure but what I mean is who were the other top players in those years.. Miggy had years that were MVP type but someone else had a great year.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/02/13/twice-as-nice-50/
TWICE AS NICE.
Totally Tigers

Another week has gone by and not much has changed. The Houston Astros and their little scandal continue to dominate the sport.

Right on cue, Pete Rose continues to look for opportunities to state his case for reinstatement and induction into the Hall. And he has chosen this particular controversy to help support his case.

Kurt and Holly have not shared their answers to the following question for the purpose of offering a wider range of perspectives.

So let?s get to it and see what our writers have to say.

The Houston Astros cheating scandal was the catalyst for Pete Rose once again applying for reinstatement this past week. He claims that Manfred?s move to not punish Astro players should end his ban from baseball. Does Rose have a valid argument?

Sure but what I mean is who were the other top players in those years.. Miggy had years that were MVP type but someone else had a great year.

Miggy's MVP place up to age 27

There were lots of players that had better years

Back