Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2020-21 Offseason (General)

They do okay, they still got a nice deal with NBC. They have to renew next season I guess that to be huge. Take into account the cap is just over 81m for 50 players, 23 NHL and ml hockey. And ml players unlike the young kids in baseball get paid.

Minor baseball players get paid.

Minor baseball players get paid.
What I meant was for example right now the players on the Wings, playing for Grand Rapids or elsewhere the lowest is 700K. Baseball minor leagues players get peanuts. So they get PAID.

What I meant was for example right now the players on the Wings, playing for Grand Rapids or elsewhere the lowest is 700K. Baseball minor leagues players get peanuts. So they get PAID.

I don't know too much about it, but $700K seems like a lot for a minor league player, so I googled it.

ECHL minimum salary is $470 per week.
AHL minimum compensation is $50K per year.

That doesn't seem too far off from what baseball players make. You have to remember, any player that is drafted in the top 10 rounds gets a pretty good signing bonus that is not included in their reported salaries.

Top 10 from 2019
$6M
1.6M

That gives all of those guys about 4-5 years to figure out if they really want to play baseball. They get their normal minor league salary plus their bonuses. Baseball players don't have it as bad as everybody thinks

I don't know too much about it, but $700K seems like a lot for a minor league player, so I googled it.

ECHL minimum salary is $470 per week.
AHL minimum compensation is $50K per year.

That doesn't seem too far off from what baseball players make. You have to remember, any player that is drafted in the top 10 rounds gets a pretty good signing bonus that is not included in their reported salaries.

Top 10 from 2019
$6M
1.6M

That gives all of those guys about 4-5 years to figure out if they really want to play baseball. They get their normal minor league salary plus their bonuses. Baseball players don't have it as bad as everybody thinks
Check this and click on a team and go to the non roster players. And not just 1st round draft picks but 5th round draft picks etc.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

gotcha. Looks a lot like baseball except baseball's minimum is $575K. Those few that have the contract get the league min.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/detroit-tigers/payroll/
I suspect when the bonus runs out they will get paid diddly if not in the Majors. Or the ones who don't have a bonus.

Players at rookie and short-season levels will see their minimum weekly pay raised from $290 to $400, and players at Class A will go from $290 to $500. Double-A will jump from $350 to $600, and Triple-A from $502 to $700. That's only during the season of course.

Last edited:
looks like some ECHL teams aren't going to play. The Toledo Walleye opted out of the 2021-22 season.

looks like some ECHL teams aren't going to play. The Toledo Walleye opted out of the 2021-22 season.
Can't blame them really. 11 of 26 teams so far. Haven't heard anything about the the AHL. Sucks for the players.

Can't blame them really. 11 of 26 teams so far. Haven't heard anything about the the AHL. Sucks for the players.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all don't cancel. Where is the money going to come from to support the leagues?

I did see that the NHL is going to have sponsors for the divisions.

Scotia NHL North Division, Honda NHL West Division, Discover NHL Central Division and the MassMutual NHL East Division

Also going to allow advertising on the player's helmets.

I get it...they get the majority of their revenue from ticket sales and most of the venues will be empty or nearly empty. I wonder how low the salary cap will be in the NHL next year?

I wouldn't be surprised if they all don't cancel. Where is the money going to come from to support the leagues?

I did see that the NHL is going to have sponsors for the divisions.

Scotia NHL North Division, Honda NHL West Division, Discover NHL Central Division and the MassMutual NHL East Division

Also going to allow advertising on the player's helmets.

I get it...they get the majority of their revenue from ticket sales and most of the venues will be empty or nearly empty. I wonder how low the salary cap will be in the NHL next year?
I don't know the ECHL was easy the top prospects are generally in the AHL, maybe not some goalies. I think their deadline passed recently to opt out plus the NHL will probably have some say. They won't want their star prospects missing more time. Can't continually play overseas.

Back