Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

60 years ago today JFK was shot in Dallas

byco42

I can't believe that it was 50 years ago. Seems like 50 days ago. Share your stories of where you were when you heard. If you can.

It's the same calendar year as 1963. And all the "material" was to be released on the 50th anniversary as well. History Today has some fine work on the topic of the investigation.

I know there will only be a few of us who were born enough years before to remember.

I can share my Mother's experience. Her birthday is November 22nd, this happened when she was very young. It was a tradition in our family that her mother (my grandmother) would take the birthday child to Hudson's on their birthday. When they were getting ready to go, the assassination occurred. Her birthday was essentially put on hold, and the family watched news coverage for the rest of the day, in a somber state.

I was a few months from being 4 years old. It is still one of my earliest memories. My mom was glued to the 12" Black and White that we had. She was crying a lot. Very somber couple of days. I also remember the first reports of Oswald being shot.

At 1:30 Eastern time it will be 50 years to the moment.

The official time of death is a half hour later, although he must have actually died instantly, or virtually instantly.

I've been hearing the old ER Doctor Johnson (who must been a really young doctor 50 years ago) saying that Kennedy appeared to be DOA when he first saw the President at Parkland.

Last edited:
In other events of the day, both The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Delivery Man premiere today in theaters across the country.

Boy, this Clint Hill guy, the secret service guy who climbed into the car from the top of the trunk, he must have been one young guy at the time too.

Rather than initiate another thread ? 58 years ago. I was informed by someone who, to that moment in time, had yet to utter a true statement in my presence. Naturally, I thought he was lying, until I walked in the back door and into the den to witness my dad watching TV, his face a foot from the screen.

Much of that day and the weekend are etched in my mind.

I was about 6.5 years from being born. I kinda remember hearing about Elvis dying and watching footage of thousands of people gathering outside Graceland and my mom saying something like "don't they have something better to do with their time?" She wasn't a big fan.

I was was older when my youngest kid was born than Elvis was when he died. So far I've outlived him by 9 years. It feels weird to think about it like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, well it?s eight years later now and I still don?t remember.

Since 2010, I like to send one of my lefty friends an email every Aug 25th with the subject "Look who is celebrating 'x' years of sobriety" and inside the email is a picture of Ted Kennedy.

60 years today and none of the people who ?executed? this act have been brought to public justice. And no one seems to care anymore.

60 years today and none of the people who ?executed? this act have been brought to public justice. And no one seems to care anymore.

It was 60 years ago. That is a long time ago. My guess is 90% of the people that were alive then are dead now.

You are right. Nobody cares

Yeah, well it?s eight years later now and I still don?t remember.

Still nothing.

I just read a study that if you were alive but very young and don?t remember when Kennedy was assassinated, that?s probably not going to change.

The likely percentage of that is pretty much 100%.

Last edited:
Back