Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

AL Playoff Thread 2013

Quick Update

All three WC contenders are finished, Cleveland and Texas won, Tampa lost.

Cleveland moves into the top WC spot while Texas and Tampa are now tied for the 2nd WC spot.

Cleveland is now guaranteed a shot at the playoffs, if they win tomorrow, they get the top WC spot, if they lose, the worst case scenario is a one game playoff to get into the WC.

As of now, Cleveland would host the WC game. Texas and Tampa would play a one-game playoff in Texas (since Texas has the head-to-head advantage) and the winner would go on to face Cleveland.

Things could get interesting if Cleveland loses tomorrow and Tampa and Texas wins, but I'll cross that bridge when we come to that.

Oakland's loss now locks the top 3. Oakland can't catch Boston and Oakland has the tiebreaker if Detroit manages to tie them.

Boston has home field throughout the playoffs (thanks to the All-Star game).

1 Boston
2 Oakland
3 Detroit

Tampa wins

They're now guaranteed at least a one-game playoff

Cleveland wins

They have clinched the #1 WC spot and will host the WC game

Who plays them has not been determined yet. Texas is currently leading in their game, if they go on to win, they will host a one-game playoff to determine the #2 WC team, if they lose today, Tampa will get the #2 WC spot.

Texas wins

There's going to be a one-game playoff to determine the 2nd wild card team in Texas tomorrow night against Tampa. The winner will go on to face Cleveland to determine the wild card team.

Oakland and Seattle are finished thus concluding the regular season.

The standings have been finalized.

This could be a nice break for Miggy to get a little bit better and for the team to get out of their offensive funk..

Most likely, Friday's game will be at 9:07 PM. Two of the 3 games we played in Oakland last postseason were at that time, with the other at 9:37 PM. At the moment, there is currently no scheduled national broadcast for games 1 or 3 according to ESPN. TBS is scheduled to broadcast Games 2,4 and 5.

Texas wins

There's going to be a one-game playoff to determine the 2nd wild card team in Texas tomorrow night against Tampa. The winner will go on to face Cleveland to determine the wild card team.

So finally my question about ties (posted in this thread.. or possibly some other thread) was a relevant question, although no three-way ties happened. Wow I'm so glad it is not the Tigers in a game 163. Had enough of those. I am actually hoping Cleveland gets to advance the ALDS later this week.

LEAGUE DIVISION SERIES
(Best of 5; 2-2-1 format)
American League DS
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A?s
G1: at Oakland, Friday, Oct. 4, TBS/MLBN
G2: at Oakland, Saturday, Oct. 5, TBS
G3: at Detroit, Monday, Oct. 7, TBS/MLBN
G4: at Detroit, Tuesday, Oct. 8, TBS*
G5: at Oakland, Thursday, Oct. 10, TBS*

(Umpires: Gary Darling, CB Bucknor, Mike DiMuro, Tom Hallion, Jim Reynolds, Mark Wegner)

bucknor is a top three worst ump.

If there wasn't a 1-game playoff would the ADS have still started Friday? Long time from the normal Tuesday starts back in the day.

Side edit: Do all games start at a specific time?

Last edited:
If there wasn't a 1-game playoff would the ADS have still started Friday? Long time from the normal Tuesday starts back in the day.

Yes, if I remember correctly.

That link I posted from MLB.com about the playoff schedule was posted well before Sunday and the dates did not change. The wait time is probably there in case crazy tie scenarios happen that require multiple days/games and the playoff dates are probably there in advance for ticket sales.

Side edit: Do all games start at a specific time?

Not sure I could answer that (or maybe I misread the question), I imagine they try to fit games in so that same league games don't overlap (i.e. ~3 hours apart).

Yes, if I remember correctly.

That link I posted from MLB.com about the playoff schedule was posted well before Sunday and the dates did not change. The wait time is probably there in case crazy tie scenarios happen that require multiple days/games and the playoff dates are probably there in advance for ticket sales.

Not sure I could answer that (or maybe I misread the question), I imagine they try to fit games in so that same league games don't overlap (i.e. ~3 hours apart).

I wondered if all games started at the same time, Detroit vs. Oakland - i.e. 8:00 EST or 9:15 EST ect. Thanks.

Back