Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Are you watching college football this year?

SpartyNash

With no Big Ten and another major conference in the PAC 12 not playing I honestly could not careless about the season at the moment. What?s the point in watching when I won?t take the playoff seriously? However I have a few friends who are still into it and are adopting another team this year.

I wonder if I?m on an island on this view of mine of not caring at all about college football this year. I do fear that the Big Ten will either 1) come back and play enough conference games in time for playoff consideration but I?ve tuned out the first several weeks of the year so I wouldn?t have gotten the full CFB season experience or 2) come back way too late and play a completely meaningless season where there is nothing to be gained because nobody will be competing for any form of national relevance. To me the latter should never be considered, if you can?t play for a chance at a national title then don?t even bother.

I haven’t decided.

Maybe I will adopt my second favorite team that I root for every year, every game.

Whoever is playing Alabama.

Last edited:
With no Big Ten and another major conference in the PAC 12 not playing I honestly could not careless about the season at the moment. What?s the point in watching when I won?t take the playoff seriously? However I have a few friends who are still into it and are adopting another team this year.

I wonder if I?m on an island on this view of mine of not caring at all about college football this year. I do fear that the Big Ten will either 1) come back and play enough conference games in time for playoff consideration but I?ve tuned out the first several weeks of the year so I wouldn?t have gotten the full CFB season experience or 2) come back way too late and play a completely meaningless season where there is nothing to be gained because nobody will be competing for any form of national relevance. To me the latter should never be considered, if you can?t play for a chance at a national title then don?t even bother.

No. I'm with you here, 100%.

I've said this next thing to a few friends and gotten shrugs back, or blank stares, but this year really crossed a threshhold for me.

It's bad enough pro sports being played now but at least there aren't (many?) fans and the players can afford their own attorneys to negotiate the terms of the game and their contracts to some extent.

But seeing grown men demanding unpaid, barely-compensated college kids go play a game and risk not only their health, but everyone's health so those same dumbfucks can collect their bloated salaries, and CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox & ESPN can sell ads is just fucking gross. I'm not watching. There is no college football right now, as far as I'm concerned.

Start paying the players, or it's a "legit sport" in the same way pro wrestling is.

Right now, you have a board heavily tilted toward a couple programs that pay for talent, and everyone else struggling to compete with that, while we pretend to not know what's going on. It fucking blows.

Losing M Football is hitting me harder than all the other sacrifices during Covid (not really, but really). something about the weather, angle of the sun, time of year and tradition but I am really missing it ...so I have been watching some of the other games.

And for the first time in 17yrs I have no Broncos tickets, so even though tonight will be NO FANS, it's still hitting home that I have no tickets now.

I won't get into all the other things that have happened/changed in 2020 in my life, but I need to have college football to watch on Saturdays. For all the money and corruption and cynicism, it's one small thing still left.

* Hears Keith Jackson's voice calling the score for Colgate vs Holy Cross during a break in the action between UCLA and Cal.

and Duke +22.5 at noter dame sucks was stealing candy from a baby!!

Last edited:
Losing M Football is hitting me harder than all the other sacrifices during Covid (not really, but really). something about the weather, angle of the sun, time of year and tradition but I am really missing it ...so I have been watching some of the other games.

And for the first time in 17yrs I have no Broncos tickets, so even though tonight will be NO FANS, it's still hitting home that I have no tickets now.

I won't get into all the other things that have happened/changed in 2020 in my life, but I need to have college football to watch on Saturdays. For all the money and corruption and cynicism, it's one small thing still left.

* Hears Keith Jackson's voice calling the score for Colgate vs Holy Cross during a break in the action between UCLA and Cal.

and Duke +22.5 at noter dame sucks was stealing candy from a baby!!

We?ll get it back.

I?m emotionally moved by our buddy MichChamp?s newfound disenchantment with college football and have been mulling over a counterpoint.

It will center on the value of tradition though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjv2iDxiGBI

harbz.0.gif

I will say there was a small part that felt great not getting irate watching MSU score 10 points and have 150 yards and waste 3.5 hours of my Saturday.

But that was with Dan 'Antioni on the sidelines. Surely Mel Tucker will get different results.

But that was with Dan 'Antioni on the sidelines. Surely Mel Tucker will get different results.

These days I feel more solidarity with MSU fans that are sick of the bullshit, than Michigan fans who are demanding/whining/clamoring for the bullshit to continue, so I'm not going to give them shit about their current or former coach. Or anything.

I was talking to a coworker who started saying he couldn't stand football anymore - college or pro - and wasn't going to watch.

Wondering if he had also "seen the light" I said, "Oh?"

And then he started ranting about being "sick of all the virtue signaling" and "black lives matter crap" and I was like "OH..."

I was talking to a coworker who started saying he couldn't stand football anymore - college or pro - and wasn't going to watch.

Wondering if he had also "seen the light" I said, "Oh?"

And then he started ranting about being "sick of all the virtue signaling" and "black lives matter crap" and I was like "OH..."

That?s pretty funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YmgI8UayCEE

Back