Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Arizona Vs Texas World Series 2023

I watched a little bit game 1, Arizona was up 5-3 in the 7th. Just saw Texas won 6-5.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/27/saturday-survey-101/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Friday night was the start of the World Series between the Texas Rangers and Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Rangers were tied for the 3rd best team in the American League with 90 wins. The D?backs were the National League?s 6th best team with 84 wins. They finished the year 16 games back of the Dodgers.

Their winning percentages combined for the lowest seen since the 1973 World Series.

Both teams made it by earning wild card slots and not winning their divisions outright.

It is the first year in which an extra wild card slot was added. There are now 3 of them that involve a best-of-3 series.

Overall, MLB has moved from a 10-team playoff format to 12.

Part of MLB?s rationale is that any team can compete for a championship regardless of their market and payroll. The new system has also shown us that often it is the hottest, not the best, teams that get into the World Series.

What do you think of this year?s contenders? Is the new system a legitimate one? Is it good to potentially have a larger element of surprise in who advances?

Do you like the new MLB playoff format?

1. I like the new system w/3 wild card slots.

2. I prefer the previous wild card system w/2 wild card slots.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/31/watercooler-wednesday-108/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Despite the first game of this year?s World Series being a very exciting one, viewership for the contest between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Texas Rangers broke a record for the least watched WS.

Both teams advanced to the finale through wild card berths. Both experienced long playoff droughts. And both are mid-market teams.

Some would say that there are fewer viewers because each franchise record was not among the best. Others may say that viewership is impacted because the teams are not large market or high-profile.
Which factor influences you the most in whether to watch the World Series?

Which factor influences you the most in whether to watch the World Series?

1. Each team's winning record.

2. Prefer watching high-profile/large market teams.

3. Need to have some connection with the cities represented.

VOTE

Game 5

0-0 top seventh.

Az pitcher had a no hitter through 6 innings but the rangers three hits in a row in top of the 7th to take the lead.

Texas 4 spot in top of the 9th. Three outs from first title.
Still batting.

Bruce about to win his fourth World Series. Joins Sparky Anderson winning in both leagues.

Least watched fall classic in history

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38804549/world-series-was-least-watched-fall-classic-tv-history

I don?t care for 84 win wild card teams making it to a WS but that?s just me
Beats 110 win team that spend 300m that I hate. The reason for the low ratings is MLB doesn't support it enough. On the major channels they hardly talk about the WS. Plus they'll competing with NBA, NHL and the NFL. Shorten the season and have the WS in August.

Beats 110 win team that spend 300m that I hate. The reason for the low ratings is MLB doesn't support it enough. On the major channels they hardly talk about the WS. Plus they'll competing with NBA, NHL and the NFL. Shorten the season and have the WS in August.

having baseball end before football starts would be great for the sport. Unfortunately, they aren't going to shorten the season.

Competing with the NBA and NFL does hurt MLB. Hockey doesn't impact any sport. Very few people watch the NHL on TV.

I don't know what you mean by MBL not supporting it enough?

Of course it's possible I don't like 84 win wild card teams in the WS due to 83 and wild card teams beating the tigers in WS and brings back bad memories. LOL

idk I got used to not watching the tigers on Dish all year and the Lions are good now so I've moved all my excitement over there. I finally cancelled Dish they never brought the Tigers back so F em. not sure if I'll go about getting a package to watch them next year yet or not. probably won't.

having baseball end before football starts would be great for the sport. Unfortunately, they aren't going to shorten the season.

Competing with the NBA and NFL does hurt MLB. Hockey doesn't impact any sport. Very few people watch the NHL on TV.

I don't know what you mean by MBL not supporting it enough?
NBA finals and SB have like a whole week of coverage, at least. Watch ESPN it's like "This is the schedule for the WS" and then it moves on to something else. Afterwards, "Game 5 ended in a win for Texas, 1st WS" and highlights that last about two minutes and that's it.

Doesn't matter if it's Texas, Houston or LA. Now it might be more than 2 minutes but you get the idea. The Jets NFL week 6 get more discussion than game 5 WS.

Last edited:
NBA finals and SB have like a whole week of coverage, at least. Watch ESPN it's like "This is the schedule for the WS" and then it moves on to something else. Afterwards, "Game 5 ended in a win for Texas, 1st WS" and highlights that last about two minutes and that's it.

Doesn't matter if it's Texas, Houston or LA. Now it might be more than 2 minutes but you get the idea. The Jets NFL week 6 get more discussion than game 5 WS.

that's media coverage, it has nothing to do with "MLB not supporting it enough".

People don't care about baseball or the NHL, which is the reason ESPN and the rest of the media don't cover those sports as much as the more popular sports.

that's media coverage, it has nothing to do with "MLB not supporting it enough".

People don't care about baseball or the NHL, which is the reason ESPN and the rest of the media don't cover those sports as much as the more popular sports.
That's how people learn about what's happening in sports media & media sites. When we learn about a trade for example its from Yahoo Sports, ESPN, MLB Network etc..

Or maybe football is watched even more and everyone else meh. NHL Stanley Cup Final, least-watched Game 5 in 29 years (the final game). NBA, 6% lower than the previous year 2022. And NFL SB 3rd watched ever.

I expect some of that is because football is 1 game. Everything else at least 4.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/11/03/saturday-survey-102/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

The World Series is now over with the Texas Rangers winning it over the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Of note is that both teams got into the playoffs via wild card slots. The D?backs made it all the way to the final contest despite winning only 84 games this year. They lost 78 for a .519 winning percentage. They were tied for the 5th best team in the National League.

Ironically, the Tigers won 78 games this year and lost 84. Arizona?s wins/losses flipped. And a difference of only 6 fewer wins and 6 more losses.

The Tigers greatly improved their record this year and finished in 2nd place. The AL Central is known to be MLB?s weakest division.

They are expected to have a stronger roster next year as the new Front Office now has a year under its belt. The influx of top prospects will increase.

Given the D?backs entrance into the playoffs and their record, combined with the Tigers standing in the AL Central, what do you think is possible for the Tigers in 2024?

What do you think is possible for the Tigers in 2024?

1. I expect them to make the playoffs.

2. There's a chance they could make the playoffs.

3. Still too early for them to make the playoffs.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/11/03/saturday-survey-102/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

The World Series is now over with the Texas Rangers winning it over the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Of note is that both teams got into the playoffs via wild card slots. The D?backs made it all the way to the final contest despite winning only 84 games this year. They lost 78 for a .519 winning percentage. They were tied for the 5th best team in the National League.

Ironically, the Tigers won 78 games this year and lost 84. Arizona?s wins/losses flipped. And a difference of only 6 fewer wins and 6 more losses.

The Tigers greatly improved their record this year and finished in 2nd place. The AL Central is known to be MLB?s weakest division.

They are expected to have a stronger roster next year as the new Front Office now has a year under its belt. The influx of top prospects will increase.

Given the D?backs entrance into the playoffs and their record, combined with the Tigers standing in the AL Central, what do you think is possible for the Tigers in 2024?

What do you think is possible for the Tigers in 2024?

1. I expect them to make the playoffs.

2. There's a chance they could make the playoffs.

3. Still too early for them to make the playoffs.

VOTE

#2 for me. There is always a chance but I wouldn't put any money on it at this point. They have a lot of holes to fill in their starting rotation. They only had 4 pitchers throw more than 100 innings and 3 of them won't, or shouldn't, be back (Rodriguez, Lorenzen, Wentz).

Last edited:
Back