Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Astronomy pictures of the day

October 5th

A Crumbling Layered Butte on Mars.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap161005.html

I know almost zero chemistry. If Mars is covered in iron oxide, it there a way to turn that into breathable (or combustible) oxygen?

edit: I think the answer is yes. Add carbon and heat it to over 1,000 degrees. That's what smelting is.

So the next thing I want on Mars is a solar powered smelting furnace.

Last edited:
I know almost zero chemistry. If Mars is covered in iron oxide, it there a way to turn that into breathable (or combustible) oxygen?

edit: I think the answer is yes. Add carbon and heat it to over 1,000 degrees. That's what smelting is.

So the next thing I want on Mars is a solar powered smelting furnace.

Didn't Elon musk want to use small nuclear weapons ? I hope your right . I want it terraformed for future generations. Hopefully ones that can get along with each other. I hope musk is right and he gets his railways to mars up soon. I'm guessing the nuclear-weapons option is off the table. Get those solar furnaces running !!!

Last edited:
Back