Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Barry Sanders named the sixth-best offensive player

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Barry Sanders named the sixth-best offensive player.
Gil Brandt of NFL.com listed his top 14 NFL offensive players he has ever seen play. Former Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders landed No. 6 on the list, behind just Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice and Don Hutson.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000673093/the-best-offensive-players-ive-ever-seen
Jim Brown, Tom Brady among best offensive players I've seen.
Gil Brandt for NFL.com

Where the he** is Gale Sayers? Brandt must not have seen him play.

he had one great season and 2 good ones. Flash in the pan.

He played 4.5 seasons. Injuries cut his career way to short, but he's still in the HOF. One of the best I have ever seen. It's like saying Billy Sims was a flash in the pan. He (Sayers) belongs on the list.

He played 4.5 seasons. Injuries cut his career way to short, but he's still in the HOF. One of the best I have ever seen. It's like saying Billy Sims was a flash in the pan. He (Sayers) belongs on the list.

Billy Sims was also a flash in the pan. 1 very good season, 2 good seasons. Injuries are part of football...especially the running back position. If you want to put guys that had short careers on the list you need to put Bo Jackson on the list...probably above Sayers. He may have been the most talented RB to ever play but he only played part time due to playing baseball (BTW...I wouldn't put him on that list because of his part time status and short career)

Sayers might be in the HOF maybe even deserving but I don't think of him when I think top 14 players.

I was a big Dickerson fan but only so many spots. Ask 100 more people you get 100 different lists.

No Elway, no Steve Young, no Joe Montana, no Fran Tarkenton...they have guards and tackles and some old guy I never heard of at #2...I don't know...

The best I've ever seen is not the same as the greatest. Or longest careers. Sayers was a special talent.

What about Drew Henson?

What about Charlie Ward?

What about Kirk Gibson?

What about Quinn Buckner?

What about Rick Leach?

What about Ryan Leaf?

No Elway, no Steve Young, no Joe Montana, no Fran Tarkenton...they have guards and tackles and some old guy I never heard of at #2...I don't know...

Maybe they were trying to fill out a team? Hutson was the boss. At the time he was the Babe Ruth of wide receivers. Pretty good since he was a defensive end. And he was the kicker..

Last edited:
Billy Sims was also a flash in the pan. 1 very good season, 2 good seasons. Injuries are part of football...especially the running back position. If you want to put guys that had short careers on the list you need to put Bo Jackson on the list...probably above Sayers. He may have been the most talented RB to ever play but he only played part time due to playing baseball (BTW...I wouldn't put him on that list because of his part time status and short career)

Agreed, counting shortened careers and Bo Jackson might be the best player of all time. Bo was as close to super human as it got.

He has no fucking clue lol. His football IQ shines on his statement....

Part time due to baseball??? Wtf are you yammering about? ..lol. Jackson focused on a baseball career after he blew out his hip. Nice one tho....

Part time due to baseball??? Wtf are you yammering about? ..lol. Jackson focused on a baseball career after he blew out his hip. Nice one tho....

Your football IQ shines with this statement.

He played baseball from 1986 - 1994. He played football from 1987 - 1990. He only played 7 games in 1987 and 10 -11 games each year from 1988-1990. He didn't start the football season until baseball was over. He never started a football season until week 6 or 7 because he played baseball. Hence, part time football to due focusing on baseball.

Last edited:
Your football IQ shines with this statement.

He played baseball from 1986 - 1994. He played football from 1987 - 1990. He only played 7 games in 1987 and 10 -11 games each year from 1988-1990. He didn't start the football season until baseball was over. He never started a football season until week 6 or 7 because he played baseball. Hence, part time football to due focusing on baseball.

Got me on that.....touche

Back