Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

Once I got into boxing and BJJ in my teens (90s) it was over for me. Actual combat sports just took all the fun out of it. I'm not one to shit on the product though, maybe one day I'll give it a shot again.

My step dad rubbed my face in it like I had shit the bed or something. 6 years old and I was contemplating murder.

Lol

Man Jdeb they really crushed the life out of you this year. Your preseason expectations were sky high!
Yup, I really thought they got it right then after 6 games, I was like, what was I thinking, this is the Lions. Never again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought things were odd with Calvin the last few games. It was like he was taking it all in and wanting to collect a few souvenirs on his way out. I thought it was because he was expecting to get cut or traded though, not that he'd retire.

The retirement talk has apparently been going on for a while now. One of the beat writers (O'Hara, I think) was on 105.1 this morning saying that several of his teammates have known this was coming since about week six or seven, and that none of us realized how physically beaten up he's been the last few years. Knees, ankles, and hands in particular. CJ has made around $100mil and is getting married this offseason, and they were speculating that he watched the concussion movie and decided it might be time to hang 'em up now. They say it is completely different than when Barry did this at roughly the same point in his career though. They felt that the organization knew this was likely coming.

We'll see... I hope this isn't it for Calvin. I'd love to see him play a couple more years in Detroit, even if it means him sitting out and healing up a bit more than he has. Probably unlikely given the financial impact that would have though.

I thought things were odd with Calvin the last few games. It was like he was taking it all in and wanting to collect a few souvenirs on his way out. I thought it was because he was expecting to get cut or traded though, not that he'd retire.

The retirement talk has apparently been going on for a while now. One of the beat writers (O'Hara, I think) was on 105.1 this morning saying that several of his teammates have known this was coming since about week six or seven, and that none of us realized how physically beaten up he's been the last few years. Knees, ankles, and hands in particular. CJ has made around $100mil and is getting married this offseason, and they were speculating that he watched the concussion movie and decided it might be time to hang 'em up now. They say it is completely different than when Barry did this at roughly the same point in his career though. They felt that the organization knew this was likely coming.

We'll see... I hope this isn't it for Calvin. I'd love to see him play a couple more years in Detroit, even if it means him sitting out and healing up a bit more than he has. Probably unlikely given the financial impact that would have though.

I hope he retires...make your money and get out! I applaud all of these guys that have the guts to leave early.

Sooo...Adam Schefter says that CJ has cleaned out his locker and is likely gone.

Sooo...Adam Shefter says that CJ has cleaned out his locker and is likely gone.

I would think they would clean out their locker at the end of every year, like in high school...but perhaps not. I'm assuming this is abnormal since it made the news, or they are just desperate for something.

I would think they would clean out their locker at the end of every year, like in high school...but perhaps not. I'm assuming this is abnormal since it made the news, or they are just desperate for something.

my guess is they leave all of their football shit in there. I don't see CJ carrying his jersey, cleats & pads home after the season. If he played his last game...I can see him taking his game jerseys home with him.

I doubt that they'd report it if it was a typical thing.

From an article

"Ed Werder of ESPN, citing an unnamed source, reports that Johnson has cleaned out his locker at the team’s facility, unlike other veteran players."

welp...we just got 23 mil in cap space.

I think it's more like 11 mil.

IIRC, unpaid bonuses get accelerated.

Calvin's hit is 24,008,000 this year. 15,950,000 of that is salary, which we won't get hit with.

Same goes for salary in '17,'18 and '19.

So we are saving 15,950,000 in salary in '16, but there are bonuses totalling 4,858,000 in '17, which will get accelerated onto this years cap.

I heard about him cleaning out his locker days ago, so this isn't adding to the narrative since his statement yesterday.

Maybe he cleaned out his locker room just in case.. So no return visit in case he does hang them up.

These next few days are going to be annoying. The media will take a small quote or two and interpret the shit out of it and every minor detail will have some hidden significance. Wake me up when he makes a decision.

These next few days are going to be annoying. The media will take a small quote or two and interpret the shit out of it and every minor detail will have some hidden significance. Wake me up when he makes a decision.

Agreed, but I doubt Calvin gives them much, if anything comment-wise. Sometimes that's worse though when people start making shit up just to fill columns or airtime.

If everything was hunky dorie and he was coming back, he wouldn't make announcements like this. It would be something to the effect of, "Look forward to next year, hopefully we can give the fans a championship."

"Not, I am thinking about my future and will have a decision shortly." That's not the comments of someone who is thinking about returning.

Back