Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Lions - Team Notes

Lions DC Paul Pasqualoni worked in Miami with the late Tony Sparano and had many fond memories of his former boss. When he heard Sparano died earlier this year, it hurt him greatly. "To be very honest, when I had heard the news that morning, I think it was a Sunday morning, it just kind of made me really feel sick and ill all over. Knowing his wife, who is a wonderful person, and his two sons and his daughter had just gotten married. Tony's from Connecticut and I'm from Connecticut. Known him a long time.
When he was the head coach at the University of New Haven, I was the head coach at Syracuse. We visited a great deal. We'd go down to Wooster Street and eat pizza. You know, we loved pizza, the same spots, New Haven, Connecticut. We had a lot in common, you know. We had a lot in common and he was a heck of a guy and I really appreciated the opportunity to go to Miami with him. It was a very, very sad day."
espn

Da?Shawn Hand a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate?
A solid argument could be made that no defensive rookie is playing better than Da?Shawn Hand.
It?s not often that a defensive tackle wins the Defensive Rookie of the Year (DROY) award, but it certainly isn?t unheard of. Aaron Donald did it a few years ago, and Ndamukong Suh did it back in 2010. Prior to those two, however, it hadn?t happened since 1994.

Detroit Lions fourth-round rookie Da?Shawn Hand isn?t having the type of season Donald or Suh did in their rookie years. Suh had 10.0 sacks his rookie year, while Donald was right behind him with 9.0 in 2014.

Hand, on the other... hand, isn?t putting up any eye-popping stats. He has just 19 tackles, 2.0 sacks, and two forces fumbles. Those are still some impressive numbers, but hardly the kind that will draw national attention worthy of winning an award like DROY.

However, when compared to the rest of the rookie class, Hand deserves to be part of the conversation. Just take a look at the top rookies accoridng to Pro Football Focus? grades:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpksiFkVsAI87RW.jpg

Hand is just barely behind Derwin James and Leighton Vander Esch, and is the highest-graded rookie defensive lineman in the league. Unfortunately for Hand, he doesn?t have a realistic shot at winning the award for the time being. James (3.5 sacks, 1 INT) and Vander Esch (51 tackles!!) have the traditional stats that will earn them votes at the end of the year. Still, if Hand continues to play this well, it means much more for the Lions than any postseason honors.

POD

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...st-tries-to-make-sense-of-a-jumbled-nfc-north
Pride Of Detroit Lions PODcast tries to make sense of a jumbled NFC North. 77 minutes.
The PODcast comes back from the bye and sees a horrible mess of a division.

One game separates first place from last plane in the NFC North, and no team looks particularly impressive now that we?re six weeks into the 2018 season. On one hand, it?s a bit disappointing considering many expected this to be the best division in football. On the other hand, the Detroit Lions are 2-3 and still very much in the thick of things.

This week, the PODcast comes out of the bye well rested extremely tired, for some reason, but we?re ready to discuss where this Detroit Lions team lies after six weeks, where things may go for this team in 2018 and the state of the NFL as it stands right now.

This week on the PODcast:
The entire league is mediocre, so where do the Lions stand among the rest?

The Cowboys are good(?), the Jets are .500 and the Patriots are dominant again. Does that mean the Lions? first half of the season was better than it looked originally?

The Dolphins are 4-2 and could very well give the Lions some fits. The gang gets into a little Week 7 preview.

lol, Bears.

Jamal Agnew?s injury is bigger than it seems, but the PODcast crew discusses the special teams implications and who may take over at punt returner.

Jeremy gives his top two teams in the NFC North right now, and it doesn?t make the rest of the crew happy.

EXTENDED MAILBAG: We go two segments on listener questions.
Would you trade for Patrick Peterson?
How do the Lions fix their run defense?
Who would you want back: Eric Ebron or Kyle Van Noy? And MORE!

Back