Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ending Marijuana prohibition

one of the main reasons for their existence is US demand for illegal drugs. legalizing marijuana would lessen the demand

no it wouldn't. It would possibly increase supply or at a minimum, diversify supply. The affect on demand is uncertain but most likely, if pot were legal, demand would go up, not down.

Last edited:
I'm pretty open and honest about a lot of things on this board, if I smoked pot i'd be up front about it. I might if it becomes legal, nothing against it.

of course enforcing the law entails busting people for possession, the point is that the law doesn't make sense. it's a relatively harmless drug compared to alcohol or tobacco even

That was sarcasm. I don't doubt that you don't smoke pot but you don't have to be a smoker to have a bias to legalizing dope, which you clearly do. Nothing wrong with that, but there's no sense in denying it.

Last edited:
we better make cigarettes illegal.

Michturd much? Have I indicated a side in this argument yet?

It's hilarious to me that you're so desperate to disagree w/ me that even when it's so painfully obvious what I've said is true, you're not only changing the subject, but trying to put words in my mouth just so you can argue w/ me. OPL.

Last edited:
no, but that hasn't stopped you from saying stupid things about it.

Do you have a huffpo article that says there would be no black market run by murderous gangs (or even peace loving hippies) to take advantage of the tax arbitrage that proves what I said is stupid? Or does it just "stand to reason" that because you support legalizing and taxing marijuana that all those problems would just go away - unlike other highly taxed products like tobacco and even alcohol? You are so weak. Let go of the hate, maybe you wouldn't make yourself look so fucking stupid all the time.

Last edited:
Medicinal passed in CO in 2006 ...fully legal in 2012, effective Jan 2014.

There are not people 'smoking all over the place' and many Employers do pre-hire testing. DUI applies like alcohol, must be 21 like alcohol and can't just smoke weed in public.

Most 'issues' that have arisen have to do with some folks moving here and the homeless already here getting high. Apparently airport car rental facilities are dumping grounds for people flying home and the dispensary by my house is very busy, but a good neighbor.

The edibles have caused some inexperienced users to have issues but is akin to someone downing a pint of vodka without having ever had much to drink before.

There is a black market in large part because the tax rate is almost 30% but it's not murderous gangs, it's just the same weed dealers who sell to folks much like home brewers or Moonshiners avoid taxation on alcohol.

The worst part of the legalization are the stupid jokes and snarky assertions made about CO. As a proud native of the state, I voted against full legalization because, like tinsel said ....as in CA, anyone wanting weed could get it and it wa already 'legal' here

Last edited:
Medicinal passed in CO in 2006 ...fully legal in 2012, effective Jan 2014.

There are not people 'smoking all over the place' and many Employers do pre-hire testing. DUI applies like alcohol, must be 21 like alcohol and can't just smoke weed in public.

Most 'issues' that have arisen have to do with some folks moving here and the homeless already here getting high. Apparently airport car rental facilities are dumping grounds for people flying home and the dispensary by my house is very busy, but a good neighbor.

The edibles have caused some inexperienced users to have issues but is akin to someone downing a pint of vodka without having ever had much to drink before.

There is a black market in large part because the tax rate is almost 30% but it's not murderous gangs, it's just the same weed dealers who sell to folks much like home brewers or Moonshiners avoid taxation on alcohol.

The worst part of the legalization are the stupid jokes and snarky assertions made about CO. As a proud native of the state, I voted against full legalization because, like tinsel said ....as in CA, anyone wanting weed could get it and it wa already 'legal' here

It's not fully legal. Federal law supersedes state law, and Marijuana is still a Class I narcotic.

So, I wonder if it needs to reach a certain temperature to activate. Maybe you could add it to the boil and brew it into beer and then we wouldn't have this issue of which was the more dangerous substance.

You can...and you can also use it to dry hop too. Hops and marijuana are related so they make a natural combination for fermented libations. Best suited for an IPA in my opinion as a lot of those IPA's already smell and taste like some green.

Definitely. It would be like a sharknado.

can't we at least try to be a little more realistic?

dinosaur_riding_shark_shooting_gun.jpg

It's not fully legal. Federal law supersedes state law, and Marijuana is still a Class I narcotic.

I haven't heard Holder himself say this, but I've heard several media sources claim that his stated position is that for now the feds are going to stay out of marijuana enforcement in states where it's "legal" or "medically legal" to see how these "social experiments" go.

Last edited:

I was referring to the state level in response to Tinsel's comment and am very aware of my state law Amendment 64.

And Tinsel is right ^^^ Obama and B Clinton have said the same - let the states decide (ooooh, sounds like Ronny Reagan), when asked by the media.

Besides, the whole idea behind decrim/legalization is so that law enforcement can focus on more important things. The problem people encounter with the debate are the causal leaps that assert marijuana is really cocaine and meth and heroin, so legalizing weed is the same as legalizing those drugs.

It's not. It just means police can NOT feel obligated to enforce a law the PEOPLE decided by majority was stupid, and changed.

You still get busted for possessing any of those other drugs and what is happening is that cops are now taking a harder line on those drugs because they're NOT weed ...or alcohol, the two legal narcotics (besides the plethora of pharma poison docs prescribe every day).

Last edited:
I haven't heard Holder himself say this, but I've heard several media sources claim that his stated position is that for now the feds are going to stay out of marijuana enforcement in states where it's "legal" or "medically legal" to see how these "social experiments" go.

I was simply pointing out that the term "fully" legal was not accurate. Whether or not anyone decides do anything about it or not, from a legal standpoint, is irrelevant.

A cop doesn't always give you a ticket for speeding either.

At the State level in Colorado, marijuana possession (with many limitations and details to the law) is FULLY legal. No Denver city cop is going to enforce Federal law over guys smoking weed on their front porch.

Anyone stupid enough - and they are - to buy weed here and 'smuggle' it back to Texas is running the risk of NM/OK/TX state law and Federal.

Totally different situation and you keep missing the spirit of the law and why so many feel MJ being illegal is stupid. The comparisons to alcohol in the thread are abundant and true.

Last edited:
I was simply pointing out that the term "fully" legal was not accurate. Whether or not anyone decides do anything about it or not, from a legal standpoint, is irrelevant.

A cop doesn't always give you a ticket for speeding either.

Right.

I expect Vic is aware of the status of marijuana under federal law.

I read "fully legal" as opposed to only medicinally legal
under the state law.

I'm pretty sure Congress itself would have to rescind the criminal status of marijuana.

Last edited:
And you know all those Congressional leaders are toking reefer. Well except for those self-righteous ones who are banging their aide or tweeting cock shots to Argentina.

Last edited:
And you know all those Congressional leaders are toking reefer. Well except for those self-righteous ones who are banging their aide or tweeting cock shots to Argentina.

What about those self righteous ones who get caught sexting fat chicks they were banging in Indiana right after they said they were reformed and promised their wife they wouldn't bang or sext chicks anymore after they got caught sexting and banging other chicks? Do those self-righteous ones smoke reefer?

Vic, are you going to be watching the Rockies versus Tigers game tonight?

To follow your logic, I guess we better make avocados illegal then as well. LINK & LINK.

they've already been in other drugs. In fact, I think they got big on cocaine first, which was relatively easy to profit from because of it's high cost/kilo. Weed sells for less and takes up more space.

Regardless, the cartels are incredibly powerful and wealthy now, because of drug prohibition. De-criminalization isn't going to make the cartels go away overnight, but it's going to hurt their profits and therefore undermine their power more effectively than anything we'd tried for the last few decades, none of which has worked, no matter how much money we throw at this self-created problem.

De-criminalization is a better long term strategy than criminalization, & having to militarize the police to enforce these laws... which is completely insane.

I think you misunderstood my point, which was not an anti-legalizing mj post, just merely stating that using the cartels as a reason for legalizing it is the worst possible argument because they will not be impacted by legalizing mj in the slightest.

Use other points than that to back the opinion that mj should be legal, the cartels will continue doing business as usual whether mj is legalized or not.

Back