Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fairley practiced

LKP

Limited basis and looked slim. Slight chance to play. No warford

Last edited:
Lions DT Nick Fairley (knee) revealed Thursday that he's down to 290 pounds.
Fairley's weight has been a point of contention since the Lions drafted him. He's in good shape now, but not quite "football shape" after missing the second half of the season with a knee injury. Fairley has a chance to return for the Divisional Round. Lions DC Teryl Austin conceded on Thursday that Fairley would need a "miracle" to play on Sunday against the Cowboys. Jan 1 - 2:50 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6492/nick-fairley

Lions DT Nick Fairley (knee) revealed Thursday that he's down to 290 pounds.
Fairley's weight has been a point of contention since the Lions drafted him. He's in good shape now, but not quite "football shape" after missing the second half of the season with a knee injury. Fairley has a chance to return for the Divisional Round. Lions DC Teryl Austin conceded on Thursday that Fairley would need a "miracle" to play on Sunday against the Cowboys. Jan 1 - 2:50 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6492/nick-fairley

All it took was free agency looming to get himself into football shape finally.

Exactly. No way they can give him the money other teams will knowing how lazy he is when his money isn't on the line.

Depending on whether they stay with a 4-3 or go 3-4, I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1 year deal, maybe even a franchise tag, and make him play at that level again for a season, but a 4 year deal or whatever should be off the table.

Prove it first.

To be fair, comparative players place Fairley's value well below Suh's. Suh is worth almost 12 million per year, Fairley is more like 5. DT contracts drop off precipitously after the top players.

Exactly. No way they can give him the money other teams will knowing how lazy he is when his money isn't on the line.

Depending on whether they stay with a 4-3 or go 3-4, I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1 year deal, maybe even a franchise tag, and make him play at that level again for a season, but a 4 year deal or whatever should be off the table.

Prove it first.

If the Lions bring him back, I'd rather it be on a 2-3 year deal that is structured with the guaranteed money up front, allowing us to cut him after a year if he loses motivation. If we sign him to a 1 year deal and he plays well, then he'll demand more money.

No franchise tag..cost is too much. Just release him and move on..Unless you can get him cheap as hell.

He's probably in worse shape at 290 than he was at 320. Muscle weighs more than fat and he probably has lost a ton of muscle since his injury not running or lifting. Even if he plays he'll be at a significant disadvantage.

He's probably in worse shape at 290 than he was at 320. Muscle weighs more than fat and he probably has lost a ton of muscle since his injury not running or lifting. Even if he plays he'll be at a significant disadvantage.

Don't think so. Reporters who watched him practice said he looked great. He's been referred to as slim, svelte, etc...

While muscle weighs more, fat is more noticeable. It sounds, by what everyone is saying, that he looks great and when reporters asked about it, he gave his weight.

One report I read said he was working out between 6-8 hours in the weight room daily to rehab the knee, and doing a complete cycle of lifting in the hopes of getting him back in peak shape this season.

While I am all for letting him go if the money isn't right, it sounds like he finally put in the work on his body he's needed to for a long time.

Don't think so. Reporters who watched him practice said he looked great. He's been referred to as slim, svelte, etc...

While muscle weighs more, fat is more noticeable. It sounds, by what everyone is saying, that he looks great and when reporters asked about it, he gave his weight.

One report I read said he was working out between 6-8 hours in the weight room daily to rehab the knee, and doing a complete cycle of lifting in the hopes of getting him back in peak shape this season.

While I am all for letting him go if the money isn't right, it sounds like he finally put in the work on his body he's needed to for a long time.

If true, man I really hope he plays Sunday. Guys who suffer significant injury are known to lose weight especially in the lower body due to inactivity. Fairley already had comically thin legs for his size and months without squatting and pushing sled will only exacerbate things.

Nick Fairley DOUBTFUL for Sunday vs. Cowboys. Larry Warford OUT for Lions.

I can't see Fairly playing this weekend. "Miracles" don't happen in Motown.

Back