Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ferguson, MO

When would a police force ever need a tripod for a weapon on top of an armored vehicle? If something like that is called for, it should be the governor calling in the national guard.

Not to bring politics into it, but I thought this point is important:
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/499704898758656000

I have respect for the former, but none for the latter; their hypocrisy (and racism?) is exposed at times like this.

"Indisputable: If you exclude the libertarians who have spoken and written about police abuse, the libertarians who remain have ignored it."

lol...Wtf does that even mean?

That's the equivelant of saying, "If you exclude the batters that have struck out against Joe Nathan, the batters who remain haven't."

Pretty redundant.

So is Obama going to fire the head of the FAA, which initiated a no-fly zone in order to keep news choppers from filming police activities?

Pretty sure that was the biggest federal violation of the constitution since the patriot act.

If he doesn't do something his little "investigations" by Holder and the FBI are just a smokescreen.

"Indisputable: If you exclude the libertarians who have spoken and written about police abuse, the libertarians who remain have ignored it."

Pretty redundant.

That means a lot of libertarians are hypocrites, preaching to roll back laws they personally disapprove of, but seeing no problem with the police actions here, which could NOT be more unconstitutional, oppressive, and offensive to personal liberty.

So is Obama going to fire the head of the FAA, which initiated a no-fly zone in order to keep news choppers from filming police activities?

Pretty sure that was the biggest federal violation of the constitution since the patriot act.

If he doesn't do something his little "investigations" by Holder and the FBI are just a smokescreen.

I read today the FAA action was done ostensibly for safety reasons. The police claimed someone had fired on their helicopter. Seems unlikely, but gives them a plausible excuse for limiting coverage, and enforcing a media blackout (or at least trying to).

we will see how the investigation goes; will the Feds actually do anything or will they back off if the police close ranks and refuse to cooperate. They may be up against more than just the local PD, if the county & MO State Police also refuse to move. I don't know how reliable any of those institutions are; the local PD is certainly awful (and I HOPE they represent really as bad as it can get, but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't many other local PDs just as bad).

The Feds themselves have been enablers in the whole militarization of the local police debacle. Maybe this will convince the Federal government of the folly of empowering local law enforcement to operate like their own mini-totalitarian states...

Last edited by a moderator:
I read today the FAA action was done ostensibly for safety reasons. The police claimed someone had fired on their helicopter. Seems unlikely, but gives them a plausible excuse for limiting coverage, and enforcing a media blackout (or at least trying to).

There's also a tweet saying the SWAT team was rescuing the Al Jazeera reporters, moving them to a safer location and then moved their equipment for them with their permission.

That means a lot of libertarians are hypocrites, preaching to roll back laws they personally disapprove of, but seeing no problem with the police actions here, which could NOT be more unconstitutional, oppressive, and offensive to personal liberty.

I forgot that if you identify with a political party that you automatically have all of the same thoughts and no original opinions that might differ from that of said party. My fault, carry on.

I forgot that if you identify with a political party that you automatically have all of the same thoughts and no original opinions that might differ from that of said party. My fault, carry on.

It's not that...

I think he means to call out those "Republicans in Libertarian clothing" who use the label Libertarian merely to sneak out from under the label, while they advocate for all the same things Republicans do.

Only those who have consistently opposed police oppression and misconduct deserve the label; you can't be Libertarian and authoritarian at the same time.

It's not that...

I think he means to call out those "Republicans in Libertarian clothing" who use the label Libertarian merely to sneak out from under the label, while they advocate for all the same things Republicans do.

Only those who have consistently opposed police oppression and misconduct deserve the label; you can't be Libertarian and authoritarian at the same time.

Fair enough. That makes a bit more sense if that's the case.

That's the equivelant of saying, "If you exclude the batters that have struck out against Joe Nathan, the batters who remain haven't."

Pretty redundant.

There are way more libertarians who have spoken and written about police abuse than there are batters who Joe Nathan has struck out this season.

Last edited:
Republicans encourage rebellion against law enforcement on Bundy's ranch, but are quiet when it's angry black people. Hmmmm...

Idea: give angry black people assault rifles and let them walk around with them in public. INSTANT gun control bill from Congress. Unanimous vote.

That might actually work, if racist white cops dont kill them all first.

But then the angry black armed men turn on the racist white cops, scaring white repubs even more. Problem solved. :cheers:

There are way more libertarians who have spoken and written about police abuse than there are batters who Joe Nathan has struck out this season.

tumblr_inline_mw4qa5bDEG1rb4wte.gif

Republicans encourage rebellion against law enforcement on Bundy's ranch, but are quiet when it's angry black people. Hmmmm...

it's ridiculous.

You have a guy who has been violating federal law for decades, stealing from the public even the modest fees the BLM charged for grazing cattle on public lands, and they only go after him after years of notices and an opportunity to protect his rights through the extensive due process of formal legal notice and trial, and even then the marshals & BLM back down and don't just shoot him and his stupid family when they resist the court order with physical violence and threaten armed rebellion.

...compared to a unarmed kid, who had just graduated high school & had no prior criminal history, who by all accounts was not resisting arrest, and posed no threat to the police, getting shot dead for walking in the street???

When Fox News and the GOP talk about the Constitution, they must be talking about the one dated pre-1860.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's ridiculous.

You have a guy who has been violating federal law for decades, stealing from the public even the modest fees the BLM charged for grazing cattle on public lands, and they only go after him after years of notices and an opportunity to protect his rights through the extensive due process of formal legal notice and trial, and even then the marshals & BLM back down and don't just shoot him and his stupid family when they resist the court order with physical violence and threaten armed rebellion.

...compared to a unarmed kid, who had just graduated high school & had no prior criminal history, who by all accounts was not resisting arrest, and posed no threat to the police, getting shot dead for walking in the street???

When Fox News and the GOP talk about the Constitution, they must be talking about the one dated pre-1860.

Well, now they say he robbed a convenience store and roughed up the clerk for some cigars right before his "murder". Supposedly the cop knew this, so I guess any kind of resistance or force on the kid's part would result in a harsh response from the cop, but I'm failing to understand why he kept shooting Brown.

The one shot might have been extreme, depending on the circumstances, but he wasn't killed and supposedly either ran away or tried to surrender (depending on who you believe). If the officer had not continued to shoot, he'd still be alive and this wouldn't even be a story. Perhaps a local story, but nothing like it is now.

the Ferguson PD (or was it anonymous?) released the name of the cop.

I also read this story... apparently for years the Ferguson PD's internal oversight was basically non-existent.

I also read this story... apparently for years the Ferguson PD's internal oversight was basically non-existent.

I got from ABC news it was law enforcement. Darren Wilson is the name. There's a news conference right now, but they seem to have lost the audio.

anonymous fucked up and gave a couple bad names before giving the right one.

Is this highway patrol guy taking questions from the protestors at a news conference? WTF.

Back