Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Five Reasons signing Jose Reyes Is a bad Idea

biggunsbob

Jose Reyes: 5 Reasons Why Signing the Star Shortstop Is a Bad Idea
By Scott Barzilla

1. You Got to Stay on Field
Reyes seems to get more banged up than most players.

It's easy to make excuses for someone that gets banged up. This isn't a judgment on Reyes' toughness or his conditioning. Some players just get hurt easier than others. The Mets just got out of Carlos Beltran's contract, and his injuries mitigated the success of his tenure in New York.

The thing is that Beltran didn't have any significant injury concerns before signing with the Mets. Sometimes, you can't foresee injury problems. Any team signing Reyes has to come in with eyes wide open. He likely is seeking a five-year deal, so let's take a look at the last five seasons.

Games/PA

2007: 160/765

2008: 159/763

2009: 36/166

2010: 133/603

2011: 126/586

Jose Reyes hasn't played a whole season since the Bush administration. The last two years haven't been horrible health wise, but when you are paying someone 20 million dollars a season, you hope they will find the field more often than 133 and 126 times. He missed nearly all of the 2009 season. While we can excuse one season in five, you have to be worried about a player that seems to miss a lot of time.

2.Speed Dies Early
Reyes has the speed to create offense, but how long will it last?

When looking at baseball history, we see numerous cases of players losing a step in their early thirties. For most players, this isn't a big deal, but for a player that builds their game around speed it can be deadly.

In the 1980s, numerous players were speed players. We all remember Vince Coleman from the Cardinals and Mets. When he turned 29 (Reyes will be 29 next season), he became a marginal player. Granted, Reyes is a better hitter than Coleman was, but speed is so integral in his game.

A better comparison may be Juan Pierre of the White Sox. In his five best seasons, he played every game and had 10.2 offensive WAR. In the four seasons since, he has 1.4 offensive WAR. He has been more valuable defensively since moving to left field, but left field is a premium offensive position.

Reyes has 22.9 offensive WAR in his last five full seasons (excluding 2009), so again, he is better than Juan Pierre even when Pierre was at his best. That's not the point. The point is that Pierre's value has significantly diminished since he lost a step. Even if Reyes is half the player in the next five years, he will be vastly overvalued.

3. WAR to the Shortstops

Troy Tulowitzki is the gold standard all shortstops are measured by
Jack Dempsey/Getty Images
I love to go back and look at multiple seasons to get the value of a player, but let's be honest. Any team signing Reyes will be looking at this past season primarily. So, to be fair to that standard, we will look at the past season in terms of WAR (wins above replacement) in addition to the past five years. WAR measures everything a player does. It includes hitting, fielding and base running.

WAR/4 Year

Troy Tulowitzki: 5.8/19.0

Jose Reyes: 5.8/14.0

Jimmy Rollins: 3.7/10.2

Hanley Ramirez: 1.3/20.5

Jhonny Peralta: 4.4/12.0

Asdrubal Cabrera: 3.7/11.0

Alexei Ramirez: 3.3/10.7

Derek Jeter: 0.7/11.2

Marco Scutaro: 1.4/13.5

Yunel Escobar: 4.1/14.5

The first question is obviously why I selected four years. Well, nearly half of these shortstops have only been regulars for four seasons. Jose Reyes was the best shortstop this year (tied with Tulowitzki), but does he really deserve to be the highest paid shortstop? Even if you ignore Escobar, he is still legitimately below Tulowitzki and Hanley Ramirez. No thanks.

4. Follow the Batted Ball
Jose Reyes enjoyed a .353 BABIP this season.

If you have read my articles here and elsewhere, you probably are growing tired of batting average on balls in play (BABIP). It really is important and it really is a good predictor of future performance. Reyes' .353 BABIP this season was the highest of his career by a significant margin. His highest career mark in a full season other than this year was .320 in 2006.

Let's assume he equals that mark next season. His current average would drop from .337 to .304. That's a good average indeed, but it is not a special batting average. For a player that lives and breathes on batting average (he has a career seven percent walk rate), that spells trouble. His .314 career BABIP is very good and about 15 points above the league average.

Go ahead and refer back to the second slide. Reyes' higher average is almost certainly tied to his ability to beat out more infield hits than the average player. Well, what happens to that BABIP when he loses a step?

5. Fielding Matters
Reyes is a below average defensive shortstop.

Jose Reyes certainly isn't a butcher, but he isn't as good a fielder as you would think. You look at Reyes and his speed and you would assume he is a plus defensive shortstop. The problem is that the numbers don't bear that out. His 2011 numbers are underwhelming.

Fielding Bible +/-: -13

Fielding Bible Runs: -11

UZR/150: -3.6

Defensive WAR: -0.4

Okay, if it is unfair to base a contract of his brilliant offensive numbers from the season, then it is unfair to deprive him of one because of a poor fielding season. So, let's take a look at the last five years according to defensive WAR and UZR/150.

DWAR/UZR/150

2007: 1.5/11.6

2008: 0.2/1.8

2009: -0.1/-4.7

2010: -0.3/-5.7

2011: -0.4/-3.6

If I were signing the 2007 Jose Reyes, I would be dancing in the streets. The 2011 Reyes really doesn't excite me as much. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but if I'm going to pay you star money, I would expect you to be at least solid in all of the facets of the game. Reyes is good on the base paths and at the plate, but with the glove, is decidedly not solid.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/87999....ad-idea/page/ 2

LOL. You copied and linked bleacher report.

Only thing worse is the opinion of 99% of the people here.

Just giving out information... Use it or don't... His injure problem has to be a concern... To not be concerned about it is pretty funny.. The article has some legitimate concerns. If you are going to spend a ton of money you better make sure.

ihatebadenglish said:
LOL. You copied and linked bleacher report.

Only thing worse is the opinion of 99% of the people here.

I copy and link all the articles.. Don't read it then...
Information is power in baseball but you guys are just blinded by what you think you see in Jose ( banged up all the time ) Reyes.

Josh Hamilton averages 117 games a year. Tulowitzki averages 116 games a year. Stasburg averages 8 starts a year. Probably wouldn't want them either, huh?

You take out one year and Reyes has played in plenty. You sound like all studs play 150 every season.

kingofdetroit57 said:
Josh Hamilton averages 117 games a year. Tulowitzki averages 116 games a year. Stasburg averages 8 starts a year. Probably wouldn't want them either, huh?

Tulo averages 138 games his last three years... Yes
Reyes 98 games his last three years. No

Hamilton No and I would be shocked if the rangers re-sign him because he cannot stay healthy... He will want to much money for how many games he plays. No.

Strasburg is a pitcher... And is not pertinent to this argument. They always get more of a leash when they are as good as him... So yes.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]You take out one year and Reyes has played in plenty. You sound like all studs play 150 every season.

Miguel 158 games a year over the last 8 years...

I guess he goes down to 150 games a season if you throw in his rookie season of 87 games... But the above stat is amazing because that is his last eight seasons...

If they sign Jose I will root for him not to get hurt.. KC brought up to me today maybe it would be prudent to sign him to a contract like Magglio had... Certain amount of games played or plate appearances but I bet Jose and his agent won't go for that..

I said all and you only list one, Miggy. Lol. He's had one lousy year where he played little. Rest of his career he has played plenty. If you think he's too expensive fine but the injury excuse is bullshit.

Personally, I am more concerned with his BABIP than his injuries. I think somebody will overpay for him, but he will still be a good player for them.

i can come up with about 30 reasons to sign him. The article had to reach to get 5 not to....

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Damn, I could only come up with 24.

you forgot to add the 6 reasons why austin jackson shouldnt lead off.....it gets added to the reyes total by default.

I'd take Jose Reyes in a heartbeat, slide Peralta over to 3rd and have a great lead-off guy.so what if he only plays 125 games a year, with the way Leyland gives guys days off, maybe it won't put a drain on him playing everyday.

Except peralta does not want to play third. He sulked in Cleveland when they put him there and did not hit...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Except peralta does not want to play third. He sulked in Cleveland when they put him there and did not hit...

just give him an extension on his contract for an additional 2 years with a raise, he'll get over it, A-rod did. lol

Michael Young averages exactly 150 games a season the last three years... If you got back further it probably gets bumped up a bit... How hard is it for you not to be concerned about a player who will probably miss 40 games next season. I mean Reyes not has a track record of getting hurt.. Sorry if you are blind guys are blind to that..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/youngmi02.shtml

Pujols averages 155 games a season over the last three years and exactly 155 games a season over his 11 year career...

Back