Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Football team departures

Reserve Offensive lineman Stephan Spanellis has entered the portal

Can read into this a couple different ways.

Ruiz staying? Underclassmen stepping up at G spots? Just wants change of scenery?

Chris Partridge is leaving to be the DC at Ole Miss. One of the best recruiters on the staff, so it's a blow.

He started as dire tor of player personnel

He wrote nice and gracious farewell

Can anyone answer why Mattison left Michigan for Osu last year ? Was it a issue with Jim or Don Brown or both? Was it more money? Because osu defense was way better this year , and Michigan’s defense was the same old crap. Good against teams we are more talented then but not against Really talented teams. On the radio today I heard that Osu did a lot more zone blitzing this year. Not sure Brown knows what a zone is. I am joking but his points allowed verses really good teams is suspect.

That's not good. I would get rid of brown and promote partridge.

Agree with you B. Brown has been exposed the last 3 years verses the really good teams. I just wish he would do more adjusting. Or at least see the flaws or like not have a freshmen on Judy with no help. I don?t know I am just frustrated. Harbaugh is just not the same coach we hired 5 years ago. Something is different.

Last edited:
Mattison left so he could win a national title

If you can't beat 'em, join' em. And it's not exactly outrageous that you allow more points when you play the best offensive teams on your schedule. But it's a little difficult to figure out how you're supposed to be the best defense on their schedule and they hang their season high points total on you in back to back years.

I'm not an Xs and Os expert, it bores me to death to read articles about that stuff. But it seems to me that the only explanation is that their scheme relies to much on the talent and athleticism of the individual players, which works against teams like Indiana, Illinois and Middle Tennessee State who have much less talent than you. But it's not going to work against teams like OSU, PSU or Bama that have equal or better talent.

It goes back to what I said in the game thread in week 1. I'm tired of them only being concerned with winning the games against the crappy teams on their schedule. That should be a given. It's when they go ultra conservative in those games once they build a lead and waste opportunities to get reps in the offense that you're going to use for an entire game against good teams that it annoys me.

Another concern I have is that both units have a tendency to start slow for the past 2 years and that wasn't the case earlier in Jim's tenure. His teams were ready to play at kickoff and in games like Bama or PSU this year it cost them. It almost cost them at Northwestern last year. The inconsistencies on both sides of the ball are troubling and like ML said it is very frustrating that this staff cannot seem to counter any adjustments that opposing coaches make.

If you want to know the real difference between Michigan and the elite teams? Their QB is openly admitting to not setting foot on campus because he's spending all his time on football while ours is getting called out by his OC for spending too much time golfing over the summer. And even then, when is the last time you heard about OSU dismissing a player due to academics? Kareem Walker, Kingston Davis, Brian Cole, Chris Evans, Amir Mitchell are a few that come to mind for us. It doesn't happen there even though their players aren't going to class.

Last edited:
Mattison left so he could win a national title

No way that was the only reason. It just can?t be because Mattison?s grand kids were close to Ann Arbor I thought. It had to be differences between him and Don Brown.

Last edited:
Cesar Ruiz has declared for the draft. Not surprising but given a new starter at QB and the other losses on the OL that's tough. Congrats to him on a fine career and good luck in the league.

No way that was the only reason. It just can?t be because Mattison?s grand kids were close to Ann Arbor I thought. It had to be differences between him and Don Brown.

An active imagination is often a curse.

DPJ going pro. Good luck to him.

Unfortunately, a disappointing Michigan career. Was the #1 WR recruit in the country and barely had over 1000 yards receiving in his career.

https://www.thescore.com/s/13172851

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
DPJ going pro. Good luck to him.

Unfortunately, a disappointing Michigan career. Was the #1 WR recruit in the country and barely had over 1000 yards receiving in his career.

https://www.thescore.com/s/13172851

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That's not entirely on him. When you have Okorn and Shea as the ones responsible for getting you the ball there's only so much you can do. I think he made the most of his opportunities but I would have loved to see what he could do with a competent QB.

That's not entirely on him. When you have Okorn and Shea as the ones responsible for getting you the ball there's only so much you can do. I think he made the most of his opportunities but I would have loved to see what he could do with a competent QB.

He should have stayed. I can't imagine he's any better than a 4th rd pick. Probably much lower if he runs a poor 40.

I wonder how JH is going to do recruiting top WRs going forward. He pretty much pissed away this kid's career. What's the sales pitch...stay at UM for 3 years and get 100 catches?

I wonder how JH is going to do recruiting top WRs going forward. He pretty much pissed away this kid's career. What's the sales pitch...stay at UM for 3 years and get 100 catches?

Ronnie Bell was a sophomore this year and got a lot of work. Nico Collins caught quite a few TD's. Giles Jackson was catching passes at the end of the year.

I think that DPJ got hurt earlier this year. He wasn't as fast this year as last. I hope if that is the case, he is healed up for the combine.

Back