Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ford Sr.

I'm an FNG here and maybe you can lump with "cliff and hughs" but William Clay Ford was not instrumental in anything at Ford Motor Company. He was shuffled around and handed titles as the real brains tried to keep him from f-ing anything up. He fit in nicely on the board of directors because he only had one vote out of about 17-18.
He was a nice guy, a generous philanthropist, a good family man (I assume) but as a business man his claim is not much more than a birthright, a last name.

I'm an FNG here and maybe you can lump with "cliff and hughs" but William Clay Ford was not instrumental in anything at Ford Motor Company. He was shuffled around and handed titles as the real brains tried to keep him from f-ing anything up. He fit in nicely on the board of directors because he only had one vote out of about 17-18.
He was a nice guy, a generous philanthropist, a good family man (I assume) but as a business man his claim is not much more than a birthright, a last name.

Most of us here are well aware of WCF's shortcomings as a businessman, as well as the fact that he was a blueblood who was born with a silver spoon in his yapper.

But since his death is still fresh, it is probably not a good idea to dis him, as he is being mourned by those of his family and friends, as well as many former Lions players and personnel.His legacy as the owner of the Lions NFl franchise for over 50 years will most likely be critiqued by bloggers and sports sites, as well as talk radio sometime later this year.

On the Pride of the Lions SB Nation website, any comments that insult or disparage WCF are being deleted by the mods. They posted a warning about doing so when the topic regarding his death was posted yesterday.

His half-century of stewardship of the Lions franchise was mundanely mediocre at best, or abjectly awful at worst, just like the teams that they have fielded

Most of us here are well aware of WCF's shortcomings as a businessman,.... But since his death is still fresh, it is probably not a good idea to dis him, as he is being mourned by those of his family and friends, as well as many former Lions players and personnel

So I am clear, you can diss his skills as an owner but I shouldn't diss his skills as a business man? :hmm:

One thing should be brought up which I never do myself.. I always just post his recorded as a owner only but he did start with he Lions in 1956... So he was there for one title and some other good years between 1956-1963 before he became the majority owner.. Just a few mind you... I am sure he was a decent man...Wish he was a better football owner.. RIP..

Why would you want to "diss" anything he has done a day after his death?

since I doubt any poster on this board was related to him or even ever met the man what does it matter? The only way it impacts anybody on this board is how it imacts the Lions. It is neither sad or surprising to me when an 88 year old man dies. Especially one who lived a life like he did. Now, a friend of mine had a brother unexpectedly die last week at the age of 40. He left behind a wife and 4 children (7-13 years old). To me, that is sad and tragic. But that's just me.

since I doubt any poster on this board was related to him or even ever met the man what does it matter? The only way it impacts anybody on this board is how it imacts the Lions. It is neither sad or surprising to me when an 88 year old man dies. Especially one who lived a life like he did. Now, a friend of mine had a brother unexpectedly die last week at the age of 40. He left behind a wife and 4 children (7-13 years old). To me, that is sad and tragic. But that's just me.

Your point is dead on. No, I did not know nor did I ever even meet WCF. His death is not tragic to me or effect my life.

I also did not know your friends brother. Should I take shots at him? Or do you feel that would be disrespectful?

There are alot of sad moments in life, your friends brother for example. But why can't people just put a simple RIP or not comment at all..I see no point in coming here just to criticize right after his death.

Your point is dead on. No, I did not know nor did I ever even meet WCF. His death is not tragic to me or effect my life.

I also did not know your friends brother. Should I take shots at him? Or do you feel that would be disrespectful?

Since you know I have an interest in the significant pain it has caused a personal friend of mine...yes, I would find it disrespectful. But, you do have that right on this type of forum. However, since you don't know the man who died, how would you take a pot shot at him?

WCF on the other hand has imacted many here in a negative manner due to his ownership of the Lions. Personally, I have no feeling one way or another towards WCF...I really don't think his ownership of the Lions had much to do with their lack of success. Choosing management is not an easy feat.

Why would you want to "diss" anything he has done a day after his death?

because he was a prominate public figure and I don't consider an 88 year old man dying as anything more, or less, than normal and natural. Every creature that has ever lived or ever will live has or will die. Its sad when a child dies who didn't get to live a full life, but anybody 88 has had a full life and death is not surprising or unusual. While his family and friends are understandably saddened why should I be? I missed William Clay Fords response when my dad died. :shrug:

And for the record, i only pointed out his limited role with Ford because other folks here and elsewhere have mistakenly assumed he had a bigger role.

He had such a historical life. Amazing really. He loved football but did not like the business side of it. Hopefully his son will take the bull by the horns and get this thing headed in the right direction.

It appears his son will remain Vice Chairman, and his wife will actually take over his controlling interest, so it remains to be seen if Bill Jr. will actually be running the team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-sr-retain-controlling-interest-detroit-lions

According to a story in the Freep or News (I forget which) Bill Jr. will be the Ford name in charge.
At the risk of bending some guys out of shape I wonder how long Martha has to live and what happens when she dies? Bill Jr has 3 sisters I think. I wonder who gets what when mom dies? :spin:

I keep thinking about scenes from the movie major league for some reason.

Back