Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 1: Cardinals @ Lions Thread

Carson Palmer looked like he's about ready to retire. Not taking anything away from the defense, they played well especially against the run.

Carson Palmer looked like he's about ready to retire. Not taking anything away from the defense, they played well especially against the run.

2 of the picks were definitely Palmer/Zona RB. The first and last pick. The first pick Stafford/Tate/refs threw the pick 6 the next play. The last pick Lions already up 28-17 but then up 35-17 on the final pick to Killebrew off the RBs hands

The 2nd pick was due to pressure so Lions earned that one to Glover Quin (which set up the first TD starting at Zona 42). Plus the fumble was a good play by A'Shawn Robinson. setting up Lions at Zona 10 That set up a huge much needed TD down 17-9 to make it 17-15. The last two Lions offensive TDs were nice long drives though with Golladay finishing them off.

Stafford finally got short fields and guess what, the TDs come with it. 4 TDs. I think he had 3 short fields starting in opponent territory. He had 6 all of last year. Just think about that for a second how hard it is with only 6 and no run game

Defense kept them in the game. The offense won it by finishing drives.

WTF was he thinking??

I think his awareness is shit. When he brought it out, I had the immediate feeling that he thought if he didn't get it out of the end zone that it would be a safety. Not sure why, but I don't see any other reason he'd bring it out. The Kick team was already on top of him and he had no chance of getting far.

I'm more excited now as I thought these first two games were going to be tough . If that New York Giants team shows up we should be able to beat them. I guess Beckham makes a huge difference but Manning never even looked Marshall's way very much . If OB is out we have a great shot of a nice road win.

I think his awareness is shit. When he brought it out, I had the immediate feeling that he thought if he didn't get it out of the end zone that it would be a safety. Not sure why, but I don't see any other reason he'd bring it out. The Kick team was already on top of him and he had no chance of getting far.

I was wondering that too. That's one of the few things I could come up with.

The other is because of the coaches can't commit to a KR he perhaps thought, in his mind, if he made a play, then he could win the job.

All I know is agree with others, he should be given no more chances, he lost the job.

Even if OBJ plays, he shouldn't be 100% you would think. Still, road games in the NFL are never ever easy. Giants should be favored so we'll see.

Yeah he probably thought it would have been a safety, maybe because it bounced and he almost touched in in play I think. Idiot. Agnew looked good on punt returns. Let him kick off return too. Agnew is going to break one and I can't wait for that.

Even if OBJ plays, he shouldn't be 100% you would think. Still, road games in the NFL are never ever easy. Giants should be favored so we'll see.

Yep those ankles take time. See Ansah's play for some of the season last year.

Plus this time, it should be Slay on him at all times. Slay got hurt in the 2nd Quarter of that game last year.

Zettel did some nice things and Ansah was super close on a few sacks. Washington got some push. Lions need to bring the pressure again. More ints is a good thing and Eli can throw ints with the best of them

Giants have had run game woes too and Lions just stopped DJ.

But yes, being on the road makes it a lot tougher. MNF and Giants fans will be amped up for the opener.

Last edited:
Anyone watch Giants/Cowboys? G-men offense looks like garbage without Beckham. I like our chances of starting 2-0 if we get the same type of performance from the D as yesterday.

So who is going to be the new punter?

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/09/11/detroit-lions-punter-kasey-redfern/653625001/

The Lions have at least four punters in for a workout this afternoon: Former Miami Dolphins punter Matt Darr, who averaged 44.3 yards per punt last season; ex-Arizona Cardinals punter Drew Butler; Jeff Locke, who was taken 10 picks ahead of Sam Martin in the 2013 NFL draft; and Richie Leone, who last kicked in the CFL.

Hopefully only the punter for five more games. Then Martin is back. Whoever it is, better be able to hold better than Rudock did on that extra point

I like Darr. Butler was on the Lions at one point in 2014.

Yeah he probably thought it would have been a safety, maybe because it bounced and he almost touched in in play I think. Idiot. Agnew looked good on punt returns. Let him kick off return too. Agnew is going to break one and I can't wait for that.

I don't think Washington was thinking safety. He did it twice! You would think the first time he got reamed out by the ST's coach lol. It's either he's too dumb to realize his mistakes or he's just trying to make a play. Either way, he needs to be kicked off ST's for that bullshit...

Anyone watch Giants/Cowboys? G-men offense looks like garbage without Beckham. I like our chances of starting 2-0 if we get the same type of performance from the D as yesterday.

Giants defense is no joke though. With our anemic run game, Stafford is going to have to be at the top of his game to put some points up.

Giants defense is no joke though. With our anemic run game, Stafford is going to have to be at the top of his game to put some points up.

Agreed. It could be a low scoring game. The run blocking must be better. Lang, Swanson and Glasgow didnt' do well at all run blocking Wagner and Robinson were ok, Ebron had a solid grade and Fells did well. Abdullah showed speed but didn't get many extra yards either.

Giants only gave up 3.6 YPC last year (2nd best in league same as Arizona by the way). They gave up 4.2 YPC to Dallas last night but Dallas has a really good Oline plus Elliot.

The Lions WRs will have to show up again when the closely contest balls like they did this week. Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Apple and Landon Collins are roaming in that secondary. JPP and Oliver Vernon are coming. The good news is the Giants lack some LBs so the Lions RBs and tight ends can win their matchups in the passing game.

Lions need to get some revenge for last year.

Big big break if OBJ misses or is far from 100 percent.

i thought, i bet a coach on the sideline told him to take it out no matter how deep it was or something along those lines. Sometimes with morons you need to be more specific and say " if it bounces 30 times and dribbles into the end zone and you need to run back and field it...then dont bring it out."

So who is going to be the new punter?

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/09/11/detroit-lions-punter-kasey-redfern/653625001/

The Lions have at least four punters in for a workout this afternoon: Former Miami Dolphins punter Matt Darr, who averaged 44.3 yards per punt last season; ex-Arizona Cardinals punter Drew Butler; Jeff Locke, who was taken 10 picks ahead of Sam Martin in the 2013 NFL draft; and Richie Leone, who last kicked in the CFL.

I don't care who it is......he's getting a huge chance to earn a good living. He gets 5 games on film for everyone else and an NFL paycheck.

Catch it......kick it......be a reliable holder.

Not a tough job.

i thought, i bet a coach on the sideline told him to take it out no matter how deep it was or something along those lines. Sometimes with morons you need to be more specific and say " if it bounces 30 times and dribbles into the end zone and you need to run back and field it...then dont bring it out."

Simple rule.....if you're in the end zone and the first defender is less than 10 yards away.....take a fuckin knee.

The lead blocker (The guy closest to Washington) should have tackled him......that would have been the highlight of week one!

Agreed. It could be a low scoring game. The run blocking must be better. Lang, Swanson and Glasgow didnt' do well at all run blocking Wagner and Robinson were ok, Ebron had a solid grade and Fells did well. Abdullah showed speed but didn't get many extra yards either.

Giants only gave up 3.6 YPC last year (2nd best in league same as Arizona by the way). They gave up 4.2 YPC to Dallas last night but Dallas has a really good Oline plus Elliot.

The Lions WRs will have to show up again when the closely contest balls like they did this week. Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Apple and Landon Collins are roaming in that secondary. JPP and Oliver Vernon are coming. The good news is the Giants lack some LBs so the Lions RBs and tight ends can win their matchups in the passing game.

Lions need to get some revenge for last year.

Big big break if OBJ misses or is far from 100 percent.

Lions need to start putting together full games. Every week the play one half....usually the first.....like pure garbage. Missed assignments....conservative play calling.....penalties. To take a step toward being an elite team....it's time to come out guns blazing and stomp on someone's throat ala Bill Belicheat. Play like pussies once we're up 38-7.

Hopefully only the punter for five more games. Then Martin is back. Whoever it is, better be able to hold better than Rudock did on that extra point

I like Darr. Butler was on the Lions at one point in 2014.

Might want to play it safe and just sign all 4 of them.

Back