Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 149 Tigers vs white sux Sept 17 2017

My favorite.. Almost as good as the Lions Hail Mary defense.

i6i6vn.jpg

This one was funny, while he was with Baltimore..

050715_bal_young_funny_face_med_76rlfygf.gif

Last edited:
Common sense says this was probably Boyd's only chance of ever throwing a no hitter. Those 2 extra innings of work for Nick won't mean squat when we're losing 95 plus games the next 5 season's.

They better turn it around faster than that. Five seasons of losing 95 will run off the fan base. The Cards my Grandmother/my NL team, last lost two seasons in a row in 1994,and 1995. Tigers need a plan to get back ASAP.

They are still on the hook for 88 million plus some of Verlander remaining contract. For that kind of money they have to put people in the seats. And people want to see winners!

Managers also decide where the if/of is positioned relative to a batter's spray chart. Looks like Nick was closer to the rf line, than centered. If he is traded within the next few years, I think that he would be moved to lf, then 1b, then ut/ph/dh...if his hitting ability continues/improves.

I've heard managers have little influence on games?!. Humm I take it some here think different.

Unless he's retires (Officially retires) he gets no future money.

that's what I thought

What happens if he is cleared but decides to retire anyway? Given his age and 2 scares with his ticker...that could happen.

The Player's Union will not let him retire. See Albert Belle and A-Rod for examples.

A link of interest:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/07/retired-players-still-being-paid-by-their-old-teams/tim-duncan

my guess (wild guess) is one of two things happens

1) he won't be cleared to play and he gets his full salary
2) he is told it's not a good idea to play and he negotiates some sort of buyout with the Tigers

I honestly do not think he will play another game with the Tigers. I don't think it's in his best interest and I don't think the Tigers want him back. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I honestly do not think he will play another game with the Tigers. I don't think it's in his best interest and I don't think the Tigers want him back. Just my opinion.

My guess is they will spin it to some type of player hitting development coach job for his last year. I could see him being a hitting coach in the future possibly. In his prime dude was money.

Guys have retired before.. Player Union can't do shit. Players have done it in the past.

Guys have retired before.. Player Union can't do shit. Players have done it in the past.

yes...but guys that walk away from money are few and far between. V-Mart has a guaranteed $18M coming this year. Probably not very difficult for him to get a Dr to tell him he isn't healthy enough to play.

yes...but guys that walk away from money are few and far between. V-Mart has a guaranteed $18M coming this year. Probably not very difficult for him to get a Dr to tell him he isn't healthy enough to play.

I think I read that the Tigers did not take out an insurance policy on V-Mart. Without him "officially" retiring, the Tigers are liable to pay him, even if he is on the 60-day DL for the rest of his contract. They would only release him if he was cleared to play by a doctor, to free up a spot on the 40-man roster. The 60-day DL does not count against the 40-man roster.

I cannot come up with a MLB player who retired in the midst of his contract and gave up the money. At least in recent past. I assume there might be an exception, but it doesn't matter, there are plenty examples of those that didn't "retire" and got paid to sit home.

Josh Hamilton got paid handsomely for 2016 and 2017, without stepping foot on a MLB field. And his was a drug relapse, followed by "injuries". The Angels fought to get his contract voided and failed.

I think I read that the Tigers did not take out an insurance policy on V-Mart. Without him "officially" retiring, the Tigers are liable to pay him, even if he is on the 60-day DL for the rest of his contract. They would only release him if he was cleared to play by a doctor, to free up a spot on the 40-man roster. The 60-day DL does not count against the 40-man roster.

I cannot come up with a MLB player who retired in the midst of his contract and gave up the money. At least in recent past. I assume there might be an exception, but it doesn't matter, there are plenty examples of those that didn't "retire" and got paid to sit home.

Josh Hamilton got paid handsomely for 2016 and 2017, without stepping foot on a MLB field. And his was a drug relapse, followed by "injuries". The Angels fought to get his contract voided and failed.

I googled it and only came up with a few

Gil Meche

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html?mcubz=3

Adam LaRoche (that deal with his son)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...icago-white-sox-asked-dial-back-son-clubhouse

As opposed to MLB's tacit approval of the use of perfomance-enhancing substances, esp post-strike of '94, when attendance #s sharply declined.

Such a waste of talent...but then he was able to perform/display it for several years...unlike many of his contemporaries in pro-sports...except curiously much less so in the NHL, where rarely was heard a drug-abusing word...cough..probert..cough...

Last edited:
Back