Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 18 Detroit Tigers vs. Texas Rangers 1:10 EST 4/17

Losing to Texas by 1 run kind of stings. Feels like a miss opportunity.

After a slow start, Parker Meadows connects for 1st home run of '24.
Tigers official site

Boxscore.

Video highlights from the loss.

Tigers 4 - Rangers 5: So close to a comeback.
The Tigers’ late-inning heroics weren’t quite enough to call it a win.
BYBTB

Tigers rally again, but come up short vs. Rangers.
Detnews

Three errors come back to bite Detroit Tigers in 5-4 loss to Texas Rangers.
Freep

With storm looming and stadium cleared, Tigers fall in 9th inning to Rangers.
Mlive

It’s crazy how bad the Tigers are at developing hitters. You would think we would luck out on a few of these high picks.

It just feels like our hitting is costing us series wins. Team is 10-8 overall.
6-2 on the road.
4-6 at home.

2023 tigers were 78-84.
41-40 on the road.
37-44 at Home.

We need need to start winning series at home.

HIT AND RUN.
Totally Tigers

Today, we’re going to address some great questions our reader, Jim, sent to me.
He wrote “When do we start wondering if the hitting coaches aren’t very good at their job? We rightfully praise the pitching coaches for their magic, so why not wonder if the hitting coaches are failing? Outside hitting coaches are still a thing for Tigers’ players.”

Isn’t it ironic that we know so much about Chris Fetter and his staff but almost nothing about the hitting coaches?
Part of that is because of the differences between hitting and pitching. Every pitch a pitcher throws is seen, located and analyzed but we don’t get to see every detail of a batter’s mechanics as he swings and why he didn’t make solid contact. Only recently has the tv broadcast taken to critiquing batters’ hitting skills in helping us understand the difference between success and failure.

We also see the pitching coaches throughout a game. The hitting coaches? Never. I imagine that 99% of fans couldn’t identify them in a lineup. Their work is always behind the scenes and away from fans’ eyes.
So as we delve into how to evaluate the hitting coaches, we must first understand what is now considered normal in the industry. It’s because the Tigers have been notoriously outdated in adopting what other teams consider to be standard.
For over 5 years now, MLB teams started adding multiple hitting coaches. Today, over half of all teams have 3 hitting coaches. The others have 2. Until 2023, the Tigers were the last team in baseball to add more than 1 hitting coach. They now have 3......

What ever happened to "see the ball, hit the ball?"

Anyway. The first hitting coach I ever remember being touted as a "guru" was Charlie Lau. And he was the Royals' BC in the 1970s. The Royals may have been the first team in MLB to break the game down to its components and to promote a "method" of approaching baseball, (or maybe the Brooklyn Dodgers were first) more from the hitting and defense sides than pitching, which consisted of, as I remember, as an eclectic group of arms back then as any other team. (Splittorff, Leonard, Busby, and others -- nothing that outstanding; just solid)

First pitching coach guru I remember: Johnny Sain, who was moved around because managers considered him a rebel of sorts. Mayo Smith, that managerial icon, fired Sain and they Tigers' pitching staff quickly declined as a result.

End of rant.

Last edited:
Back